Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2009, 03:32 PM   #1
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

How do I relocate newly split RBTA?

My RBTA has split and I would like to move one half to the other side of the tank.

How do I get one to let go or start moving so it can be relocated?

The original anemone was in a large hole in a piece of rock which cannot be moved. Now both halves are still anchored in the hole. I tried putting a piece of rock over one to see if it would climb onto it reaching for the light, but it just expands higher up to hold it's tentacles above it.

iamwhatiam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2009, 04:21 PM   #2
nick18tjetta
Registered Member

I would let it go where it wants, unless you are trying to remove one to place in another tank.

nick18tjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2009, 05:27 PM   #3
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

It is staying put, not moving.

It is at the extreme right side of a 6 ft tank and I want to move it near a mated pair of ocellaris which lays eggs every two weeks on the opposite side of the tank.

Current Tank Info: 180 mixed up reef started April 2005. 4 small tanks on same sump.
Unread 09/26/2009, 07:26 PM   #4
MarineFlake
Registered Member

I agree with nick18tjetta, most likely no matter where you put it, it will crawl back to its favorite spot. Sometimes, you can make a bad situation worse. My $.02

Current Tank Info: Ninguno
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2009, 08:05 AM   #5
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFlake View Post
I agree with nick18tjetta, most likely no matter where you put it, it will crawl back to its favorite spot. Sometimes, you can make a bad situation worse. My $.02
Other responses lost in the up grade have said pretty much the same thing:

"Leave it be. Once you move it, it may not stop moving, to the detriment of your coral and tank."

Originally posted by dalilgriffith
"Leave them alone. if they are happy whats the big deal?"

Yes, I know I can leave it where it is, but my question was how to move it.

This is why I want to move one.........
There are two pairs of clowns in the tank. One pair hosting the newly split anemones, and the other pair 5 feet away on the opposite end of the tank that visits the anemones whenever they are not tending their eggs. It would be nice to give them their own anemone.

I understand that the moved anemone may not settle where I want it, but It's worth a try, and I could always give it away if it does not work out.

Judging by how fast this thing grew and split, there will eventually be a constant need to move them just so the tank does not become overrun with RBTA's.

Someone did suggest an ice cube or a stream from a powerhead at the base of the anemone to coax it to release, but the base of this is anemone is out of reach in a hole with the other, so this is impractical.

Can someone please suggest ways to move an anemone without injuring it?

Unread 09/27/2009, 09:14 AM   #6
stealle
Premium Member

Perhaps move them both (rock and all) to an area of lower flow and low light. Surround the rock with several other rocks for them to move onto. Wait for them to move on their own.

I think you have two options: 1. force them to move (i.e. credit card, ice cube, powerhead pointed at them) or 2. give them a reason to move on their own (as I suggested above)

stealle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2009, 07:06 PM   #7
JLopez
iNano

if you can reach the foot you can try gently rubbing an ice cube on it. that usually works. however, dont try to get to the foot if its burried in a hole, you may risk damaging it and an injury to the foot can be fatal.

JLopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2009, 09:37 PM   #8
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealle View Post
Perhaps move them both (rock and all) to an area of lower flow and low light. Surround the rock with several other rocks for them to move onto. Wait for them to move on their own.

I think you have two options: 1. force them to move (i.e. credit card, ice cube, powerhead pointed at them) or 2. give them a reason to move on their own (as I suggested above)

I guess they will be staying where they are.
The rock cannot be moved.
Can't get to the foot, so ice or a powerhead are out, and the rock is so irregular I would not risk injuring it with a credit card even if could get to it.

Unread 09/27/2009, 09:55 PM   #9
stealle
Premium Member

Well, hear goes a couple more ideas. What if you put several rocks right next to them... pushed up against them. Perhaps they would feel crowded and crawl out onto them. IF that doesn't work over a couple days. Put something over them to block light. Perhaps some PVC pipe rigged together to form 4 legs. Then put a plate or something over that. Ya know what I'm saying? Like make an artificial shade tree for them. Maybe leave a little light coming through just on one edge so one of them will crawl out onto a movable rock. It might take awhile, but eventually it will want some light.

Unread 09/27/2009, 10:01 PM   #10
stealle
Premium Member

Also, what do you have on your tank for lighting. You mention above that you have a 6ft tank. Try lighting only one side of the tank. Keeping the side the anemones live on dark. If you are using PC,VHO, or T5 bulbs you could cover the top of the tank with something (non-flammable) on the side the anemones live on. Make sure there is light within a couple inches of the anemone to be attracted to. Make sure there is a movable rock located in the path it will most likely take to get into the light. Sometimes people intentionally turn off their lights and maintain total darkness for 48-72 hours to get rid of nuisance algea. It's not gonna hurt to try.

Unread 09/27/2009, 10:03 PM   #11
prolawn_care
Registered Member

I agree with stealle.. They like light, so if they cant get the light unless they move it may just work... Just my .02 Good Luck!!!

prolawn_care is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2009, 05:23 AM   #12
puter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhatiam52 View Post
...There are two pairs of clowns in the tank. One pair hosting the newly split anemones
What type of clowns are currently hosting in the anemones?

Unread 09/28/2009, 08:41 PM   #13
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The clowns were the first fish in my tank, bought 4 years ago as "true perculas", but I posted a pic of one pair and am told they are ocelaris.

****** I want to post pic but can't find my gallery ?????? *******

There is a rock over one of the nems, but it just reaches over it and is not moving. I am going to try a larger rock that will shade it better to see it it moves.

Last edited by iamwhatiam52; 09/28/2009 at 08:49 PM.
Unread 09/28/2009, 09:25 PM   #14
puter
Registered Member

So you have two pairs of Oscellaris clowns?

Unread 09/29/2009, 06:35 PM   #15
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

Yup, unless they are misidentified.

One pair lays eggs regularly so they are indeed a mated pair. The other two quarreled for a time over the anemone when it was first put in the tank, but now host it together. I don't know if they are a true mated pair, or just a couple of clowns hanging out.

Unread 09/29/2009, 06:55 PM   #16
puter
Registered Member

The clownfish pair that currently host in the anemone will freely move back and forth between the clones. They'll also defend the anemones against intruders. So, if you move one of the clones, you may very well find that the hosting clownfish just extend their range and that you end up with more conflicts between the pairs.

Also, there are some Oscellaris that just don't take to E. quadricolor anemones. I had a pair that was in a tank with fifty E. quads for more than a year and they never entered the anemones.

Unread 09/29/2009, 08:57 PM   #17
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puter View Post
The clownfish pair that currently host in the anemone will freely move back and forth between the clones. They'll also defend the anemones against intruders. So, if you move one of the clones, you may very well find that the hosting clownfish just extend their range and that you end up with more conflicts between the pairs.

Also, there are some Oscellaris that just don't take to E. quadricolor anemones. I had a pair that was in a tank with fifty E. quads for more than a year and they never entered the anemones.
WOW! 50 anemones! That must be a sight to see.

These 4 ocellaris were all introduced at the same time and lived together for 4 years. Though the breeding pair was the dominant pair, grew much larger, and started laying eggs, they always tolerated the other two. Meanwhile, the two smaller ones roamed around the tank and always seemed lost until a few months ago when the anemone was put in the tank. Now that the two smaller ones are hosting the anemone, the breeding pair visits them at the anemone from time to time, the four of them even swimming across the tank together and into the anemone. They do not seem to be territorial towards one another.

Unread 09/29/2009, 09:08 PM   #18
puter
Registered Member

Just wait long enough and you'll end up with something like this too:

Unread 09/30/2009, 08:53 PM   #19
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

That's what I was afraid of. Beautiful, but not how I want my tank to look.

Unread 09/30/2009, 08:59 PM   #20
stealle
Premium Member

That's insane! Got a full tank shot???

Unread 09/30/2009, 09:32 PM   #21
prolawn_care
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhatiam52 View Post
That's what I was afraid of. Beautiful, but not how I want my tank to look.
Dont blame you some is good even quite a few is good, but i like variety... JMO

Unread 10/01/2009, 07:03 PM   #22
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

Looks like YOU are the one who needs to find out how to move them!

The stores sell them here for about $85 each when they can get them, so even at 1/2 of that you have a few thousand bucks worth on anemones to trade or sell.

Unread 10/01/2009, 11:49 PM   #23
prolawn_care
Registered Member

imagine if you actually had that many clown fish and they hosted! That would be crazy!!!

Unread 10/02/2009, 02:59 AM   #24
puter
Registered Member

There are a number of ways to get anemones to move and/or remove them from the tank. That's not much of a challenge anymore.

What I'd like to figure out is:

1) how to make the bubble tips come and go
2) how to get them to sexually reproduce in captivity

still working on those things. Mine are girls, by the way, all clones of one original (see the eggs?):

Unread 10/06/2009, 09:26 PM   #25
iamwhatiam52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puter View Post
There are a number of ways to get anemones to move and/or remove them from the tank. That's not much of a challenge anymore.
It's a challenge for me. Two weeks now of covering my smaller anemone with rock to shade out the light and coax it to move, but it does not budge.
It just extends as far as needed to get around the rocks and find light. Each time I block it's way, it just bends around the next rock.
As I said before, the base is in a hole with the other clone, so I cant point a powerhead at it or try to scrape it off.