Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2009, 07:44 PM   #1
Blownsvt
Moved On

Filling a new tank (125g)

WHats the best way to go about filling a new tank? should i fill the tank directly and mix the salt in the tank or should i mix it in smaller containers and pour it it etc? any tips or suggestions you have are appreciated.

Blownsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2009, 07:50 PM   #2
kfisc
Registered Member

Before adding live rock, and if you have new sand, you can just fill the tank directly (with RO/DI water only!), add the salt and warm it up to temp.

The trick is getting the right specific gravity, which you need to make sure you measure at 78-80 degrees, wherever you want to keep it. Add RO/DI water or remove tank water until it reaches the correct s.g.

kfisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Blownsvt
Moved On

i have nothing in the tank yet but have 120 lbs of live sand due to show up on friday. i figure i will put that in the tank when it arrives and then start filling with water. i was just unsure if it was ok to mix the salt in the main tank or not.

is there a certain temp i should try to keep the water at? i have seen some people say they are in the 78 range and others as high as 84.

Unread 09/30/2009, 08:10 PM   #4
kfisc
Registered Member

I'd fill the tank, then add the sand- less of it will die-off. If it were new, sterile sand, it wouldn't matter.

The temp range can be anywhere from 78 ot 84, even a few degrees higher, as long as it doesn't swing too far. I keep mine at 80.

kfisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Blownsvt
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfisc View Post
I'd fill the tank, then add the sand- less of it will die-off. If it were new, sterile sand, it wouldn't matter.

The temp range can be anywhere from 78 ot 84, even a few degrees higher, as long as it doesn't swing too far. I keep mine at 80.
cool, good to know. i was thinking put the sand in first just to minimize the water cloudiness and stirring it all up. i guess i will fill it then add salt, followed by sand. once it has all settled i will add the rock and turn on the powerheads and everything .

Last edited by Blownsvt; 09/30/2009 at 08:25 PM.
Unread 09/30/2009, 08:42 PM   #6
jenjen
Registered Member

I would suggest adding water then salt, then turn on the heater & powerheads until the salt all disolves. Once you reach the right SG and all the salt is disolved, then add sand. You can turn the power heads off when adding sand until it settles. I found it took overnight for all the salt to disolve when I first filled my tank.

Current Tank Info: 180gal softy reef (Apr '09)
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2009, 09:18 PM   #7
DC_40gallon
Registered Member

I hate to be repetitive but you are using RO/DI water right??

Because if you are, then just get the already mixed salinity RO/DI water and make your life 10x easier. Then you won't have to worry or care about what or how your water is, it will all be the same 1.024-1.026 equal balanced batches.

DC_40gallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2009, 11:19 PM   #8
NANOYED
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_40gallon View Post
Because if you are, then just get the already mixed salinity RO/DI water and make your life 10x easier. Then you won't have to worry or care about what or how your water is, it will all be the same 1.024-1.026 equal balanced batches.
+1 I called a local fish store they came and filled my tank with saltwater, done!

NANOYED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2009, 11:51 PM   #9
Blownsvt
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_40gallon View Post
I hate to be repetitive but you are using RO/DI water right??

i bought my own RO DI unit. the closest fish place to me that does saltwater is almost an hour away.

Unread 10/01/2009, 12:11 AM   #10
PRDubois
Registered Member

Make sure you use RODI

Only mix in the tank if you do it BEFORE the sand & rock.

Use Powerheads & HEater to Mix for 24 hours before addinf the sand or rock.

Current Tank Info: 225 gal Reef, 60 gal reef & 40b frag tank
PRDubois is offline   Reply With Quote