Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/01/2009, 08:02 PM   #1
slwblt
Registered Member

is something wrong with my anenome?

i am very new to this and my anenome is a green buble and on one side he isnt showing tentacles but very small and they are very bright green. he is in my new tank about a day old so maybe just getting used to it?

slwblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 08:03 PM   #2
slwblt
Registered Member

i dont know how to post pics so if someone needs a pic i can send it to their email

Unread 11/01/2009, 08:13 PM   #3
jenglish
Marquis de Carabas

DO you mean like a day after you put water in it? Is it cycled? Anemones need very stable water conditions and a tank generally needs to be set up 6 months to a year before popping a nem in.

“Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse" Pierre-Simon Laplace

I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

Current Tank Info: broken and dry
jenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 08:37 PM   #4
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Nems need perfect water to survive. Sounds like your tank is too new. If it hasn't at least cycled yet give the gbta to someone else or it will die.

To post a pic you need to host it on the web. www.imageshack.us will allow you to do this free and easy. You can even resize it when you upload. After the upload find the direct link to the image and post it in the pop up window that shows up when you click the little mountain icon with the yellow sky above the reply field.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 08:45 PM   #5
redfishsc
Registered Member

I don't think he means the tank is that new. I think he means the anemone is the one-day old thing.

Several things could be wrong, or this could be normal.

1) Salinity. If it's too low it can make the anemone appear deflated. Are you checking with a hydrometer swing-arm, or a refractometer?

2) Something toxic--- ammonia, high nitrate, heavy metals, etc.....---- you say water parameters are fine-- what specifically are your parameters?

3) Perfectly normal--- sometimes anemones, especially BTA's, will deflate when stressed. I have two, and one of them deflates on a weekly basis, the other nearly never does. They are clones (from a split) and look entirely different from each other. When I see the smaller one (3" diameter) shriveled, I doublecheck my salinty and then just ignore it. I know its behavior pattern by now. This one tends to get more food than the other b/c of the clown that's hosting it (feeding the anemone) so that may be why it shrivels (pooping?)

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
redfishsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 09:19 PM   #6
slwblt
Registered Member

ya the tank isnt one day old i bought it from one of the stores its been setup for over a year. used the same water and everything slowly i am going to do water changes with my water. so everything was settled i was just wondering if there might be something wrong with him or not

Unread 11/01/2009, 09:21 PM   #7
tkeracer619
Registered Member

oh, then it is probably normal. Misread the first post. Give it some time. Lets see the pic now that you know how to post them

Unread 11/01/2009, 09:28 PM   #8
slwblt
Registered Member

Unread 11/01/2009, 09:29 PM   #9
slwblt
Registered Member

i really dont know a thing about anenomes so if its just goin to sleep or whatever im just kinda worried about it

Unread 11/01/2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Nickjr000
Moved On

Some time will tell. Check all your parameters though

Nickjr000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 09:31 PM   #11
jenglish
Marquis de Carabas

I wouldn't worry then, looks unhappy but they generally are after a transfer. Just watch it if it starts moving around to settle if it can wonder into a powerhead.

“Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse" Pierre-Simon Laplace

I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

Current Tank Info: broken and dry
jenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 09:34 PM   #12
livingcorals
Moved On

one thing to check out for most of the time is the color of its foot. When it starts to lose the red tone and go towards a white/tan look its dying.
However in this case give it 5-10 days. Seems to be getting use to the changes.
Do you know what light it was under in the store? Also what do you have under atm?
Be a good idea if you run carbon as well.
They also relive waist so when they get small like this its about to dump one out.

Any clown fish?

A good site on BTAs to check, http://www.karensroseanemones.com/

oh and slap to the store that sold it to you. They should have gave you some info.

livingcorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 09:40 PM   #13
slwblt
Registered Member

the color of its foot is still red. no clwn fish yet and maybe it is lettin one out i fed it a silver side earlier. the light is a t-5 and what is atm

Unread 11/01/2009, 10:00 PM   #14
davocean
Registered Member

It looks Ok to me, just acclimating.
Foot color will vary from one species of nem to next.
I used to feed silversides till I had a bad exp, and read several other exp nem keepers say same thing, and really I wouldn't even try to feed for at least a week.
Let it settle in.
Light is there main energy source, you could never spot feed it and it will be fine, and some purposely don't spot feed to keep from growing too fast.
Watch for intakes is my biggest word of advice.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 10:00 PM   #15
JD52
Registered Member

Could be splitting, keep an eye on it, if you see any white spaghettin like stuff puking out of its mouth, its probably toast.

JD52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 10:02 PM   #16
livingcorals
Moved On

kk, (atm) at the moment.
Did you by any chance poke the food (silver side = great choice!) in its mouth?
Or just place on its tentacle...

I'm sure there is nothing to worry about since as stated above they can act like this.

livingcorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 10:20 PM   #17
Metal Man 1221
FMMAS Executive Director

just a question, what would having a clown have to do with its condition? do they cause stress?

"Only after the last tree's cut
and the last river poisoned
only after the last fish is caught
will you find that money cannot be eaten"
~Lamb of God~

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, 45g sump ---- 57g Illuminata, custom sump
Metal Man 1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 10:33 PM   #18
tkeracer619
Registered Member

They can cause stress if the anemone is already stressed. They will also feed the anemone if they host in it. Often times before they get their food.

Looks ok to me just angry about the move.

I haven't fed mine in 6 months. They do just fine without it.

Unread 11/01/2009, 10:37 PM   #19
davocean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Man 1221 View Post
just a question, what would having a clown have to do with its condition? do they cause stress?
It can go either way really, a clown too big for a nem can love it to death.
On the other hand I think my pair of Clarks I had way back coaxed the nem to eat, always pushing food in before eating for themselves, and I think they actually really helped my bleached out crispa come back to good health.
I was one of the biggest preachers for silversides a while back, but that was w/ my crispa which was 24" and had no prob even downing a large naso apparently!
I had heard many say they thought feeding a silverside killed their nem, but I didn't believe it until I lost 3 LTA's right after a feeding.
All 3 ate, turned inside out, dispelled gnarly waste, released, and melted, just like that.
Really, as long as light and water are good, they don't need much if any spot feeding.
Light is their main source of energy.
You should read clown/nem forum for more opinions from nem keepers.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote