Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/02/2009, 04:28 PM   #1
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

Need hosting anemone that won't move? Suggestions please...

My little black clownfish is irritating and killing my brain. I need to hopefully find an anemone that would stay put for him to host in. I know it's not guaranteed that he'd host, but it's worth a shot. Any suggestions? TY.

Gina

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef, Cardiff Nano Seahorse tank.
MarineGirl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 04:40 PM   #2
nanojg
Registered Member

Maybe try a frogspawn, hammer, torch? Mushrooms work too sometimes.

nanojg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 05:15 PM   #3
jenglish
Marquis de Carabas

Hairy mushrooms (they do move but less so than a nem) but there is no guarantee that the clown will pick it (or even it's natural host) over something it is already hosting.

“Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse" Pierre-Simon Laplace

I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

Current Tank Info: broken and dry
jenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 05:48 PM   #4
DT's_Reef
Registered Member

My rose anemone has stayed put, as have the 3 clones it's made.

At least with these anemones, give them good light and a bit of flow (but not tons....just enough where they sway a bit back and forth), feed them once a week (mine love PE Mysis fed via turkey baster) and they stay put.

DT's_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 06:49 PM   #5
fasteddie99
Registered Member

I had 3 nems in one tank, 2 bta's and 1 fairly large LTA. Both bta's stayed exactly where I put them. I even moved one of them myself (for fear of my clownfish killing it) and he stayed put in his new rock as well.

The LTA on the other hand would stay put for about 2 months at a time and just all of a sudden detatch and float around till it found a different suitable spot. This past weekend he did it one too many times and I found him caught in my Koralia 3. Needless to say it was a busy weekend.

I would think that a Bubble tip would be your best anemone, barring your lighting, water, etc... is up to par.

It sounds like your clowns will host anything if they are hosting a brain so I would venture to say any of the aforementioned corals will work ie; frogspawn, xenia. I've heard hairy mushrooms work well.

Be prepared to move, or remove the brain coral so that they might notice the new apartment for rent.

The female keeps the BTA clean and takes care of it. Every time it "poops" the female will accually pick it out from the mouth and spit it in the water.

[IMG][/IMG]

It just seems more "symbiotic" between a clowns and nems than it does with clowns and a coral.

Just my opinion.

Current Tank Info: 125
fasteddie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 07:04 PM   #6
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

I just have one clownfish at the moment. I have had xenia and I have a hammer right now. He has never tried hosting in anything else. He actually likes to host in 2 different brains I have. He likes one more than the other and it's starting to croak after 3 years of him hosting in it.

Hey, when a clownfish is by itself, it's a female correct? My lighting is perfect for one right now, but I don't want to chance it in my 40 breeder. When I set up the 180 I will get an anemone then. Will be 250 watts of mh light using lumenarc reflectors on that tank as well. My clownfish is a black clown if that makes a difference. LFS has two black clowns and they host in a clam!

Unread 11/02/2009, 07:46 PM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

The only nem that won't move would be a fake rubber one!
All can, and BTA's probably have the worst rep for this.
I had a LTA that was IMO the easiest to keep in one place, because they are fairly sensitive, and shy from heavy light/flow.
The safest is as mentioned earlier, hammer, frog, torch, etc...

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 07:50 PM   #8
lReef_lKeeper
lReef lKeeper

try a sebea ... they are less likely to move than any other species. mine was in the same spot for 2 years, then i tore the tank down, and moved it to a friends tank. its still in the same spot that he put it.

be sure to get a healthy one, if you decide to go with one. healthy means brownish color with purple tips. the white ones we see all the time, are bleached.

40 Breeder, 20 long sump, Bubble Magus Curve 5, EcoTech Radion XR30w and XR15w G3 Pro, ReefKeeper Lite
lReef_lKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 07:50 PM   #9
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

LOL well, I don't think I'll get a rubber one. ;-) Maybe I will try the LTA or the sebae as a previous member suggested.

Unread 11/02/2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Acronic
The Fifth Master

Ive also been told that BTA's are the worst for taking a stroll. but mine hasnt moved since he was first introduced to the tank.

I have lost all concept of reality and live in an SPS world now.
Acronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 08:00 PM   #11
MarineGirl411
Registered Member

Was the sebae hard to keep?

Unread 11/02/2009, 08:19 PM   #12
Anemonebuff
Registered Member

I had a sebae and it moved the least. It also was not that hard to keep. My tomato clown jumped into it the day I added it. Like always there are no guarantees.

Anemonebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 09:26 PM   #13
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineGirl411 View Post
My little black clownfish is irritating and killing my brain. I need to hopefully find an anemone that would stay put for him to host in. I know it's not guaranteed that he'd host, but it's worth a shot. Any suggestions? TY.

Gina
Know the needs of the anemone that you choose, and also study the relationships between this clown fish and that anemone. Know your animals.

Place the anemone where the conditions are right, water quality, water quality, water quality. The anemone takes a stroll to find more suitable conditions or better water quality.

FWIW,

Jim

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 10:47 PM   #14
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Over the years I have kept Sebaes, LTAs, BTAs, and Haddonis. I haven't noticed any of them moving any more or less then the others. The only difference being that BTAs will split/clone and the clones would move.

The key is to provide the conditions that the anemone needs (( different requirements for different anemone species )), if you are able to do that, the chances are good that they won't move.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2009, 11:31 PM   #15
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddrtrex View Post
Over the years I have kept Sebaes, LTAs, BTAs, and Haddonis. I haven't noticed any of them moving any more or less then the others. The only difference being that BTAs will split/clone and the clones would move.

The key is to provide the conditions that the anemone needs (( different requirements for different anemone species )), if you are able to do that, the chances are good that they won't move.

Didn't I say that an hour earlier than you did?

J

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote