Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/27/2011, 10:52 AM   #926
kmu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goby1kenobi View Post
I'm having a heck of a time estimating the actual size of these things from the photos. Would these LED spotlights fit in a canopy? Would they get too bright for a tank that'll have, at most, shrooms, polps, and softies (since we already have a puffer)? My husband wants LEDs for the 58g that we hope to get soon.
You can visit your local Lowes or Home Depot and they have similar par30 and par38 bulbs with LEDs...

In Wall 400g 1" acrylic 72x36x36 (Hydras, Marco rocks,Tunze osmolator, Vertex Alpha cone 250)
kmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2011, 03:25 PM   #927
chicago_animal
Registered Member

I bought two of these for my two PAR38 leds from nanotuners.

When I got the bulb in and plugged it in, I noticed it has 3 settings. Touch it to turn it Low, touch for medium, touch for high and again for off.

THe bulbs only went on when I was touching it and it would flicker on then go right off. I didnt mess these up did I? They arent dimmers like it says NOT to use.

Im having so much trouble finding wall lights to go with these that can be plugged in.

chicago_animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2011, 03:55 PM   #928
ragingreefer
Registered Member

It sounds like the fixture you are trying to use is a three way or dimmer. I would avoid using it.

ragingreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2011, 05:28 PM   #929
chicago_animal
Registered Member

yeah its a 3way. Im not trying it again and will be taking it back

chicago_animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2011, 04:52 PM   #930
gotfrogs
Premium Member

I finaly got my Par38 light to screw into it, a 6500K LED made by http://www.sunbritelighting.com/

gotfrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2011, 09:42 AM   #931
MaliceCooper
Registered Member

Cardiff MH replacement

Tank dimensions are 20x20.5x20 according to website. Looking to get rid of MH hair dryer fixture. How many would I need for sps, lps, calms and softies? Any input appreciated. May have found aesthetically appealing fixture. Pricey, but looks good and allows vertical and left-right adjustment. Search for "rise and fall" lamps if interested to see the type of fixture I'm looking at. Trying to combine aesthetics and form with function is a bear!

MaliceCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2011, 02:19 PM   #932
ccolt1
Registered Member

How many 20,00k for a 60 gal tank? 4' x13" x20"... thanks

ccolt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2011, 11:28 AM   #933
Baldwin
Registered Member

How many would you all go with for a 48x24x24? Als what optics and spectrum. I have a sps dominant mixed reef. Thanks!

Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2011, 02:42 PM   #934
msr224
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
How many would you all go with for a 48x24x24? Als what optics and spectrum. I have a sps dominant mixed reef. Thanks!
IME I am getting right at 12" X 12" coverage. This allows a little overlap and keeps the lights off if the glass. So with that in mind you are looking at 8 - 10 of these. You may want to look at a different option for that big of a tank or you could do some spotlighting and make a really sharp looking tank. Look around on this thread for pics of Beeker's tank.....

Very nice!

Current Tank Info: Just a mixed reef tank.
msr224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2011, 06:22 PM   #935
Baldwin
Registered Member

Yeah I pm'd beeker for more details but haven't gottena reply yet, so I am just seeing if anyone else has any info on the subject.

Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2011, 07:17 PM   #936
NyReefNoob
skimmer freak

i have a rapid 20k and a ecoexotic 12k and needed both for complete coverage ohn my aquapod 24g

My dad always said the only stupid questions are the ones not asked

Current Tank Info: custom 45g cube AIO
NyReefNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2011, 10:36 AM   #937
msr224
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
Yeah I pm'd beeker for more details but haven't gottena reply yet, so I am just seeing if anyone else has any info on the subject.
Yeah, I got the same thing when the family and I went to Cincy for spring break to see some friends....Was hoping to find out from Beeker where the good shops were....no answer....

Wonder if Beeker is still around.....

Unread 06/23/2011, 01:47 AM   #938
moonpod
Premium Member

comparative shot of bulbs

Over this tank (still cycling) are 4 par 38 LEDs. Recessed cans, extensions used to adjust height. 32" cube. Front left is a generic 12x3w cree 60 deg "cool white" (55-6500k) bulb. Stupid bright, and IMO very reasonably white vs yellow. Back left is the ecoxotic 14k. Uknown lenses (got second hand). Just doesn't seem as bright as the back right which is the nanotuners 14k with 40 deg lenses. They are not exactly the same. The whites on the ecoxotic much more yellow. The front right is a 12x1w generic 60 deg cool white. Again, I think it's a reasonable color. I don't have PAR meter so I can't tell you what the penetration is like, but it seems to light the tank very reasonably IMO with minimal light scatter (right next to DLP tv and doesn't cause viewing problems)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1308699299.789873.jpg (35.7 KB, 173 views)

Current Tank Info: 32" Leemar starfire cube now empty and not quite so stinky
moonpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2011, 07:38 PM   #939
S13<3
KeepItSuperSimple

anyone have experiance with this par38, im about to buy it but am hesitant as ive seen multiple threads about it and no one answers, is it that bad? i wanna hang it over a 7.5mr aqua, mostly for sps lps and only softie i want is zoas
http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...&productId=702

S13<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2011, 07:03 AM   #940
LCDRDATA
Registered Member

I've read almost all this thread over the past couple of days, and I think I know the "power" side of what I need. What I'm still a little unsure of is the color. I'd like to approximate the color I get with a basic T5 mix of 50/50 10k and actinic - I could go a tad more blue than that but am definitely not looking for the "windex" effect. I'm not sure what that "temperature" would be and in any event it seems as though the advertised "K" isn't necessarily how they appear. So, is there any one of these bulbs (Boost/Rapid/Ecoxotic/Nanotuners) that would have that color (and which combination, since some have multiple possibilities), or any two that would mix? If so, which one(s)? Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 75 gal reef (zoas/palys/discoma/xenia/GSP; monti (cap & digi)/acan/favia/hammer/frogspawn/candy cane; derasa clam, Leopard Wrasse, Randal Goby, Kole Tang, Clown pair, 2xYT Blue Damsel, Engineer Goby, Skunk Cleaner/Coral Banded Shrimp,asst scavengers)
LCDRDATA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2011, 08:51 AM   #941
msr224
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13<3 View Post
anyone have experiance with this par38, im about to buy it but am hesitant as ive seen multiple threads about it and no one answers, is it that bad? i wanna hang it over a 7.5mr aqua, mostly for sps lps and only softie i want is zoas
Only 1 watt LEDs and very tight optics so you will most likely have some spotlighting even in that small of a tank. Let us know how you like it and track your results for us.

Unread 07/07/2011, 01:27 PM   #942
LCDRDATA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRDATA View Post
...I'd like to approximate the color I get with a basic T5 mix of 50/50 10k and actinic - I could go a tad more blue than that but am definitely not looking for the "windex" effect...is there any one of these bulbs (Boost/Rapid/Ecoxotic/Nanotuners) that would have that color (and which combination, since some have multiple possibilities), or any two that would mix? If so, which one(s)? Thanks!
Anyone?

Current Tank Info: 75 gal reef (zoas/palys/discoma/xenia/GSP; monti (cap & digi)/acan/favia/hammer/frogspawn/candy cane; derasa clam, Leopard Wrasse, Randal Goby, Kole Tang, Clown pair, 2xYT Blue Damsel, Engineer Goby, Skunk Cleaner/Coral Banded Shrimp,asst scavengers)
LCDRDATA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2011, 02:21 PM   #943
nameissoftlover
Softy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13<3 View Post

i just ordered one of these to try out, i am setting up a 12 gal nano and interested to see how it does, im hoping to get by with the one, we will see..

nameissoftlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2011, 04:54 PM   #944
Glo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDRDATA View Post
I've read almost all this thread over the past couple of days, and I think I know the "power" side of what I need. What I'm still a little unsure of is the color. I'd like to approximate the color I get with a basic T5 mix of 50/50 10k and actinic - I could go a tad more blue than that but am definitely not looking for the "windex" effect. I'm not sure what that "temperature" would be and in any event it seems as though the advertised "K" isn't necessarily how they appear. So, is there any one of these bulbs (Boost/Rapid/Ecoxotic/Nanotuners) that would have that color (and which combination, since some have multiple possibilities), or any two that would mix? If so, which one(s)? Thanks!
if you are trying to avoid "windex" effect, you should pick up the "reef" color par38 from wingoled. their par bulbs beat rapid's and acan lights' par bulbs hands down both in the color rendering and par value. when it is on, the "reef" color is very white with very little blue while still providing a lot of "pop" . when it is off, the ratio of the blue to the white is 7:8. i am not sure how many royal blue and blue are in the 7 leds.

Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2011, 05:42 PM   #945
moonpod
Premium Member

You have link for wingoled?

Current Tank Info: 32" Leemar starfire cube now empty and not quite so stinky
moonpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2011, 07:01 PM   #946
Glo
Registered Member

here is the link of the par38

or you can browse wingoled.com. click on aquarium lights, you can see a host of aquarium lights they make or import. you will have to email them to get the dealer nearest you. I picked up some of their products in ct swap and lfs in new york city

Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2011, 06:31 PM   #947
Reefobsession
Moved On

Would two of evils Par38s 20K with 60degree optics light a 18 gallon (24"X12"14.5"T)?
Would I be able to keep SPS?

Reefobsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2011, 03:40 PM   #948
nameissoftlover
Softy Member

i did get the par 38 bulb in, here is a pic with the tank empty with a light fixture on it, has 36 watts, 2 bulbs, one all white, one all blue,

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 07/17/2011, 03:41 PM   #949
nameissoftlover
Softy Member

here is the tank with the par bulb i got on ebay, it has 12 2 watt led, 6 blue, 6 white, the picture came out like all their is on is blue but both are on, this bulb has 30 degree optics and is mounted aprox 1 foot over the tank

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by nameissoftlover; 07/17/2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added info on bulb
Unread 07/17/2011, 03:43 PM   #950
nameissoftlover
Softy Member

i do not have the par bulb permanently mounted yet, I will be looking into that soon, the tank is still cycling and i just now today put in some softies from my other tank, they other tank had a 175 mh, figured if they adapt and live then they will be getting enough light,