Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2009, 06:46 AM   #1
outcastjra
Registered Member

New fixture after advice from here- T5 or Mh?

BOTH!!!!
UPDATE! I went with the current outter orbit 36' 2X250mhs, 4x39w T5's, and 12 LED Moonlights! I am very pleased with the fixture and how it covers my tank!
The upgrade was from a single 250w mh, and 2 pc's sundial. It was short and small.
My corals will love this upgrade for sure! I plan to keep these 10K bulbs in it for a little bit to get the corals to grow for 4 weeks or so, then to the bluer type lights. Better pics to come. These are from my blackberry.
Thanks guys!

Current Tank Info: 65G Mixed Reef, 10G Sump, 250 DE MH with 2 32w PC lights; Just got a LPS RSM! LOVE IT
outcastjra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2009, 08:44 AM   #2
rkb
Registered Member

Very nice, you may want to consider switching to a couple Phoenix 14Ks right off the bat. For the corals you are keeping the 2 250 10Ks could be a bit intense. The Phoenix bulbs offer a great color and output. When you first install them they are a bit bluer than after about 100 hours burn in time. After that you can adjust the color of the tank with your T5s to get the right amount of actinic to make the color pleasing to the eye.

Unread 12/19/2009, 08:51 AM   #3
outcastjra
Registered Member

I thought the 10K's were less in light, which allowede corals to grow better?
Do I have that backwards?
Thanks

Current Tank Info: 65G Mixed Reef, 10G Sump, 250 DE MH with 2 32w PC lights; Just got a LPS RSM! LOVE IT
Unread 12/19/2009, 10:48 AM   #4
rkb
Registered Member

You might have a look at some of the output numbers. The 10K throw out a lot of energy which makes them great for growth. A 14K or higher lacks some of the energy output so the growth may be a bit slower but the colors will really pop.

Unread 12/19/2009, 12:50 PM   #5
outcastjra
Registered Member

That would explian why when I had a 10k bulb before it was growing everything like crazy, zoos, xenia, etc. Then when I put a reeflux 12K in, some of my softies went away. Not enough light towards the bottom of my tank. Well now wit this new fixture I have all the light I need, and then some!

Unread 12/19/2009, 05:09 PM   #6
outcastjra
Registered Member

Better pics!
Just T5's-

All Lights on-

Unread 12/19/2009, 05:10 PM   #7
outcastjra
Registered Member

Just a quick note- The lights looks so much better in person! I need to take better photos. This is a good reference for anyone that wants to see what the current outter orbit looks like on a 65G reef.
Thanks

Unread 12/19/2009, 05:52 PM   #8
tufacody
Registered Member

I love the look of the first pic. I don't like the windex look, as is the rage right now. However, you will notice that a bluer bulb brings out more color. I keep my giagntea upder that blulb and it had done great, but I agree for your softies it may be a little intense.

Those outer orbit fixtures are very nice. I sure wish it was still available, as I like it so much better than my Belize Sun on a different tank. I am surprise you could find one as Current has discontinued them.

tufacody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2009, 07:05 PM   #9
outcastjra
Registered Member

I found mine as a refurb from Current on ebay...The light looks and seems brand new!!!
I got it at a steal of a deal for just $224.00! Shipping was 45 bucks! Truly a great buy!
Also I just picked up some more fish today to really set the reef off. As far as the intense lighting, I am only going to run the mh's 4 hours a day. Until I get some new bulbs. I may stick with the Reeflux bulbs! We shall see. Thanks