Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2009, 09:14 AM   #1
amj991
Registered Member

sump baffles

I posted this on a local forum...thought i would pass on the idea.

Got most of my sump/fuge done last night. I dont really like the look of silicone going up and down the side of the tank. It never goes on perfect and its hard to get the caulk gun down between the pieces of glass...SO I decided to get some pieces of acrylic that are 1 3/4 inch wide so that it will work perfect for some good flow in my sump. All i need to do it put the glass in place and put a small bead of silicone in each corner of the glass to hold it in place. Then if I ever have to reconfigure my sump I could cut the bead of silicone off the glass and pull the glass out. I guess ill see how well it work when its completely all dry and get water in the sump. I think it should work out good...but time will tell.

Got a 1 inch coupling its actually 1 3/4 inch tall so its the same as the glass spacing, to hold up the
glass. Ill put some small beads of silicone to hold it in place to it dosent move around.

amj991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2009, 11:05 AM   #2
lil_O_JJ
Registered Member

without sealing around the bottom of the baffles how will you prevent water from moving to the other sections?

Unread 12/19/2009, 05:08 PM   #3
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_O_JJ View Post
without sealing around the bottom of the baffles how will you prevent water from moving to the other sections?
+1

I am a little confused here too. Unless there is silicone around the baffle, the baffle really isn't doing its job, unless there is something I am missing here.

Unread 12/19/2009, 11:51 PM   #4
kcress
Registered Member

Some baffles don't need to be waterproof!

If you're flowing 800gph and you have a 3gph leak it often matters not.

kcress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 06:01 AM   #5
champ128
Registered Member

It shouldn't need to be waterproof. It's only there to force the bubbles to the surface of the water. Should work just fine. I wouldn't be concerned with what little bubble could get under there

champ128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2009, 09:06 AM   #6
lordofthereef
One reef to rule them all

I guess I made the assumption that this would be used for more than just a bubble trap (ie for keeping a certain section of the sump a specific water level).

Unread 12/20/2009, 09:17 AM   #7
kgross
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
I guess I made the assumption that this would be used for more than just a bubble trap (ie for keeping a certain section of the sump a specific water level).
Even if the baffle leaks a little, it will keep the water level pretty consistant in the higher water level sections. When the pump stops the water level will equalize with leaks, but not when the pump is working, unless the leaks are close to the same flow rate as the return pump.

America will only be the Land of the Free as long as it is the Home of the Brave.

Current Tank Info: AGA 180gallon tank, VHO/MH lighting, DSB, calcium reactor, Also a 7 Gallon Nano softy tank, and a 32 gallon cube
kgross is offline   Reply With Quote