Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2010, 05:25 AM   #1
bradjenny
Registered Member

what disease is this help

Ok we have a 72 gallon bow front corner tank. we have a yellow tang blue hippoe tang a dragon goby and a puffer valentini. we had 2 nemos but we lost one last week and one today but we can't find it anywhere. Ok i have noticed the water real cloudy a week or 2 ago so we rinsed the filter out and the water is nice and clear now. well this has been going on for a while now but i have noticed like little bubbles on there fins. i didnt think much of it. we have had a problem with the yellow tang and the blue hippo. i bought the blue hippo about a week before christmas. well the yellow tang showed him whos boss for a couple days then they were cool then a couple weeks later back to fighting. I came home from work and noticed that the blue one was covered with bubbles must be ick but in the morning they were gone. well he is still alive but really weak. i noticed the dragon his one eye is messed up my puffer has bubbles on fins. the only one that seems fine is the yellow tang. guy from work said i could put some copper in the tank. now i dont have anywhere to put the fish other than where they are now and it is a fish only tank so will treating them hurt them. I kindof figure i am out a couple hundred dollars in fish probably cause this disease is know to kill them. and also my daughter seen these tiny little bugs on the glass would that be the ick parasites?

lost the blue tang the eyes on the puffer are alot worse any help very fast would be nice i have a feeling i am going to be starting over here

bradjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2010, 06:22 AM   #2
RBU1
Moving on Up

Well using copper with a puffer could prove deadly. Your best bet is Cupramine because it is the safest. If your tank is a fish only and you never intend to put inverts, corals or anything other then fake decorations and fish you can use copper in you display. LIke I said I would use Cupramine and keep it at a low concentration of about .3

OH and odds are the things on the glass are not ich.
Good Luck.

RBU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2010, 07:23 AM   #3
bradjenny
Registered Member

ok is this stuff going to get rid of ick pretty quick then? what about the fish how long will it get off them? i am really concerned about the puffer and dragon as they look rough. there fins are all white bubbly as they can hardly move then look at the face there eyes are the same........

Unread 01/09/2010, 07:32 AM   #4
RBU1
Moving on Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjenny View Post
ok is this stuff going to get rid of ick pretty quick then? what about the fish how long will it get off them? i am really concerned about the puffer and dragon as they look rough. there fins are all white bubbly as they can hardly move then look at the face there eyes are the same........

It will take a few days till you notice anything. THe ich has to go thru its life cycle. As long as the fish are eating they should be OK. You can also add some garlic to the food. This is not a scientific approach but some people feel it works

Unread 01/09/2010, 02:24 PM   #5
bradjenny
Registered Member

i went the fish store told them what was going on. he said copper was the only thing that was going to fix it. i told him that copper and puffers dont mix he said guess what.....all the tanks on this whole wall have copper ran through them. i went and looked and surely there were puffers in those tanks. he was out swimming a couple hours ago but havent seen him since. i did dig the dragon goby out he was belly up. i just cant figure out how all the fish got this but one yellow tang he is still swimming like nothing wrong none of his fins are split or nothing.....i just try not to think about how much these fish cost.....anyone ever buy online if so where looking for a est price here in a month or so....

Unread 01/09/2010, 02:43 PM   #6
RBU1
Moving on Up

Quote:
i went the fish store told them what was going on. he said copper was the only thing that was going to fix it. i told him that copper and puffers dont mix he said guess what.....all the tanks on this whole wall have copper ran through them. i went and looked and surely there were puffers in those tanks. he was out swimming a couple hours ago but havent seen him since. i did dig the dragon goby out he was belly up. i just cant figure out how all the fish got this but one yellow tang he is still swimming like nothing wrong none of his fins are split or nothing.....i just try not to think about how much these fish cost.....anyone ever buy online if so where looking for a est price here in a month or so....

Of course most stores do not keep the copper level were it should be. They keep it low. Ask your store what type of copper they use and what the level is. Don't trust everything a store tells you. Most store owners are for making money and really don't have the best interest of the hobbiest at heart. This is not true for all but most. So what did you get to treat your fish?

Unread 01/09/2010, 02:45 PM   #7
RBU1
Moving on Up

Quote:

OH and also copper is not the only thing.....Another idea is quinine sulfate. Safe to use with scaleless fish like sharks, rays and puffers but harder to come by. Might be worth a try in your case in the future if you can get it. I am more curious about what the store gave you to treat your tank. So what did you get?

Unread 01/09/2010, 04:51 PM   #8
bradjenny
Registered Member

it is a product made by mardel called coppersafe for ick velvet and other external parasites. he said it is what he uses at the store. use 5 ml for 4 gallons of water. i put in 65 ml. he said use that and it should clear it up in a few days. i was talking to another guy in ft wayne he said use that and then he strongly recommends a uv sterilizer. i never knew of them til yesterday. i called the store i bought the blue hippo from and he didnt ant to even talk about it. i still have the yellow tang going strong and the puffer dont look the greatest but is still taking it easy. hopefully they make it. the dragon goby passed on earlier today. the guy in ft wayne kindof recommended that i trade in the yellow tang for like clowns or something. i was kindof thinking that the tang caused alot of this he is always picking on the others. so i guess this is my opportunity to get a new start. i just takes money lol

Unread 01/09/2010, 05:44 PM   #9
RBU1
Moving on Up

Good Luck!!!

Unread 01/09/2010, 08:58 PM   #10
hybridazn
Registered Member

yea you might want to try starting out with easier to care for fish. tangs tend to be on the more finicky(sp) side. with tangs you will always have to battle ich.

hybridazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2010, 09:11 PM   #11
RBU1
Moving on Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridazn View Post
yea you might want to try starting out with easier to care for fish. tangs tend to be on the more finicky(sp) side. with tangs you will always have to battle ich.
Not if you properly QT your fish.....

Unread 01/09/2010, 09:47 PM   #12
bradjenny
Registered Member

after i get a blue tang that is when all this trouble started. i will always like doree. but i will never have another one. i learn my lesson ihave heard too many storries just today about the hippos. they are neat but a pain to care for. i went months just losing one fish. he jumped out the back. i put this fish in and now i am out my most expensive fish.

Unread 01/10/2010, 06:47 AM   #13
RBU1
Moving on Up

Quote:
after i get a blue tang that is when all this trouble started. i will always like doree. but i will never have another one. i learn my lesson ihave heard too many storries just today about the hippos. they are neat but a pain to care for. i went months just losing one fish. he jumped out the back. i put this fish in and now i am out my most expensive fish.
LIke I said QT is very important if you care about intorducing disease to your main tank.

Unread 01/10/2010, 10:53 PM   #14
bradjenny
Registered Member

so what how big of a tank is a qt tank then. i think i found a surfside 90 gallon i might buy that also i dont think i put enough copper in cause my yellow tang is worse today but my puffer is still going.
for a 72 gallon bow front corner tank how many gallons you think are in there after prob 50 pounds rock and all the sand? i have no idea i guessed 50 so i put that much treatment in.

Unread 01/10/2010, 11:30 PM   #15
trigger:)
Registered Member

Try a freshwater dip? Make the water same temp as the tank and dip the fish for 5-10 mins. The fresh water will kill the parasites. I have a trigger with cloudy eyes and parasites on his fins didnt eat for 3 days (had a big soar with a red center on his belly). After the dip he could see and came out of it fine ( the soar is almost gone). I also had dosed the tank with copper 3-4 days before the dip (am still dosing the tank). I have 2 puffers, they are alive and eating ( the copper like burned my yellow belly to a brownish color, the other a stars and stripes wasnt effected). I was told to dose at 1.5 level of copper. I'm not telling u to do it, just that I am doing it! BEST WISHES GOOD LUCK!

trigger:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2010, 06:17 AM   #16
RBU1
Moving on Up

For a QT a 20 gallon tank will work. Just buy one fish at a time. If you are going to remove all your fish from your main display to treat them I would look for something near what they are in.

Unread 01/12/2010, 12:15 AM   #17
bradjenny
Registered Member

so does the qt have to have sand and rock in it also. do i set it up just like the main tank? just put the copper in and let the fish in there for a while. then how do i put them in the main tank?

Unread 01/12/2010, 03:53 AM   #18
RBU1
Moving on Up

No sand or rock in the QT. Just bare bottom and PVC pipe if your asking for my opinion. The trick is getting bacteria in the tank so you dont get amonnia. This can be done by using something with bacteria on it from your main display. Some people leave stuff in their sumps so if the need arises to set a tank up they have some bacteria seeded items to use in the QT. My QT is larger then most and has a W/D filter along with a hang on filter.