Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Rich D
Registered Member

Would a primary color light system work?

I was curious as to whether it would be possible to set up an LED fixture with yellow, blue, and red lights. That way one could create any color spectrum they desired. Sadly I dont have the experience, money or time to try something like that...

Current Tank Info: 120 display 40 gallon approx. sump
Rich D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2010, 04:51 PM   #2
noahm
Registered Member

Interesting idea. It would certainly work, but since the most beneficial spectrum for average corals is not equally spread throughout the visible range, it would not be the most efficient use of power and space to produce the light needed by most corals. It would be very useful, though, for experimental use on individual species and color morphs to help determine all kinds of light effects like growth rate, coloration etc. on particular species and types of zooxanthellae.

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2010, 04:55 PM   #3
sedor
Registered Member

If I am not mistaken, each LED bulb contains the entire spectrum because light itself is created by the entire spectrum.

Unread 01/22/2010, 05:08 PM   #4
noahm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedor View Post
If I am not mistaken, each LED bulb contains the entire spectrum because light itself is created by the entire spectrum.

White light is made up of the entire spectrum, but LED's other than white will emit certain wavelengths only, providing only part of the visible spectrum. Most LED reef setups are made using white LED's and some form of blue LED. They all have specifications as to the wavelengths emitted, so there are subcategories of blue etc.

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Rich D
Registered Member

it could be a fun nanotank idea. maybe if i go into electrical engineering for college...

Current Tank Info: 120 display 40 gallon approx. sump
Rich D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2010, 05:34 AM   #6
mick243
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahm View Post
White light is made up of the entire spectrum, but LED's other than white will emit certain wavelengths only, providing only part of the visible spectrum. Most LED reef setups are made using white LED's and some form of blue LED. They all have specifications as to the wavelengths emitted, so there are subcategories of blue etc.
white LED's are a blue LED chip covered with a white phosphour, so have a strong blue aspect with just enough of the rest of the spectrum to "look"white to our eyes, thier spectral distribution is nothing like actual full spectrum white light.

other LED colours as noahm said, pretty much emit 1 dominalt wavelength and nothing else.