Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/17/2010, 01:30 PM   #1
kvosstra
Registered Member

Which Peristaltic Pump do you use on your CA RX?

As title says, which pump do you use?

I'm tired of the needle valve, its just a bit too imprecise for me. At some point, the small relative cost of a good peri pump will help me not worry about the amount of water I have pushing through my reactor - so...

(1) what pump do you use?
(2) What schedule do you use them? 24/7 or on another schedule?

Factors to consider:
1. Correct flow - I probably want flow from 25-250 ml/min
2. noise - needs to be silent.
3. ease of replacement tubing - stuff goes bad, saltwater is not nice to pumps.
4. Ease of programming correct flow - digital or otherwise...

Thanks for your input.

Best,
-Kyle

Current Tank Info: recently set up my 40G sps tank again!
kvosstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 05:54 PM   #2
kvosstra
Registered Member

Some folks out there have to use one...I cant be the only one tire of my maxi-jet and needle valve...

Old 02/17/2010, 08:04 PM   #3
ReefingBuddha
Registered Member

get yourself a litermeter III. I used variable speed peristaltic pumps in the past all they just crapped out after a few months. The problem with the fixed speed is that you are stuck with a flow rate (can be slightly altered by adjusting intake/output pipe diameters).

The litermeter III is great and expandable for 2 extra pumps. Not the cheapest option but works great for me. I currently have mine running 24/7. It dispenses the total liquid amount I want dispensed in 24 hours in 150 increments.

Current Tank Info: Starting a new 300g In-wall, 600g system
ReefingBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2010, 09:01 PM   #4
kvosstra
Registered Member

Hmm - The problem I see with the LM III - is that it doses in those 150 increments, that's, in my mind, not great for the pH stability in the reactor.

Which Peristaltic pumps did you use in the past? I was considering something like the cole parmer line of pumps.

Cost is not a huge issue, I figure a few hundred is small potatoes compared to losing 10K in livestock from a stuck pump or other issue.

Old 02/18/2010, 03:35 AM   #5
fishez4alivin
Registered Member

I used this with my Schuran, was dead silent, and ran flawlessly...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cole-Parmer-Gear...item19b9986477

Get the Easy Loader 2 head for it, and you will be very happy. I picked one up on Ebay that was brand new for 100 bucks, the head cost another 40. Just need to keep an eye out for one. Ask over at BAR, I know Ian uses one, as well as few others.

fishez4alivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2010, 06:09 AM   #6
kvosstra
Registered Member

Perfect - Ill ask over at BAR. Thanks for the info.

Old 02/18/2010, 06:54 AM   #7
noobtothereef
Registered Member

the litermeters are rediculous in price, for that much you can buy a neptune 3 pro controller and controll a dosing pump, pumps all kinds of crap ,

Current Tank Info: 120gallon 2-darts, 2-evo 1400's...piles of flow.. RKE with an easy button
noobtothereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Dyraxe
Registered Member

Forgive me but what is BAR? bay area reefers?

I just bought a Schuran 2 and need a dosing pump as well. What is the model # of the Cole Parmer pump and head?

I have a heavy stock tank with about 250g total water volume.

Last edited by Dyraxe; 02/18/2010 at 09:46 AM.
Dyraxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2010, 10:31 AM   #9
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishez4alivin View Post
I used this with my Schuran, was dead silent, and ran flawlessly...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cole-Parmer-Gear...item19b9986477

Get the Easy Loader 2 head for it, and you will be very happy. I picked one up on Ebay that was brand new for 100 bucks, the head cost another 40. Just need to keep an eye out for one. Ask over at BAR, I know Ian uses one, as well as few others.
+++1

For CARX you need a good, relaible peri pump that can run 24/7

MSHUR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2010, 12:39 PM   #10
psykobowler
Registered Member

My intake is connected to an Aquaclear 30 powerhead adjusted for speed.

Current Tank Info: 300g & 90g display, 90g fragtank, 34g RBTA cube, 120g sump1 w/ RO Xp-5000, 20g sump2 RO Xp-3000,12AI Hydra52s, 5 (2x54wattT5 retrofits) 5 radion xr15pros, 5mp60s, 4tunze6255s, Apex, WXM, AWM, 2 knopCaRx, Avast KalkRx
psykobowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2010, 05:43 PM   #11
fishez4alivin
Registered Member

Here is what I would get, if you hunt the stuff down, it can be purchased for very little. Best deal I found on Ebay today is this combo. This is the very pump and pumphead I had.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Masterflex-Pump-...item563933957a

http://cgi.ebay.com/Masterflex-77202...item5ad7377948

Basically you want a pump that is variable speed, that can do 6-600 rpms and you want an Easy loader 2 pumphead. Depending on the size of tubing, will determine how much water volume it will pump. Once you figure out that, you are going to be worry free with that part of your CaRx setup.

Last edited by fishez4alivin; 02/18/2010 at 05:48 PM.
fishez4alivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2010, 07:12 PM   #12
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I have a cole parmer masterflex digital peristaltic pump with easy load heads. Worth every penny. Has been turning non stop for 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtothereef View Post
the litermeters are rediculous in price, for that much you can buy a neptune 3 pro controller and controll a dosing pump, pumps all kinds of crap ,
I would rather have a medical grade pump. Much more reliable.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2010, 07:32 PM   #13
rsaha
Registered Member

I've used a Rabbit peristaltic pump for topoff/kalk reactor for years and it's never given me a bit of trouble.

rsaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2010, 09:23 PM   #14
kvosstra
Registered Member

Quote:
well, of course I already have the ACIII Pro...

Quote:
My intake is connected to an Aquaclear 30 powerhead adjusted for speed.
Understood - this is the economic way to run a CA RX, this is also how I do it...I simply want to have something much more reliable.

Quote:
Here is what I would get, if you hunt the stuff down, it can be purchased for very little. Best deal I found on Ebay today is this combo. This is the very pump and pumphead I had.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Masterflex-Pump-...item563933957a

http://cgi.ebay.com/Masterflex-77202...item5ad7377948

Basically you want a pump that is variable speed, that can do 6-600 rpms and you want an Easy loader 2 pumphead. Depending on the size of tubing, will determine how much water volume it will pump. Once you figure out that, you are going to be worry free with that part of your CaRx setup.
Quote:
I have a cole parmer masterflex digital peristaltic pump with easy load heads. Worth every penny. Has been turning non stop for 2 years.
Thanks guys! That's the info I was looking for! I'm excited to get a new toy for the tank! And, it should be much more reliable than the stupid maxijet!

Best,
-Kyle

Old 02/18/2010, 09:28 PM   #15
tkeracer619
Registered Member

One thing you probably wont have to do but should do. Is pull out the main bearings in the heads and go down to your local bearing supply house to match some up for you. Usually around $3 each or you can get some nice Japanese ones for $8 each.

It will probably make them quieter and makes the rollers turn smoother. The motors are completely rebuildable.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2010, 10:34 PM   #16
Dyraxe
Registered Member

How far away will these pumps suck water up from? How far can they push water to? Will it suck up water up to 10 feet high? I want to put a long tube in the sump and drawl in the water to the pump in my garage. Run it through the CA RX and push it back to the tank.

Dyraxe is offline   Reply With Quote