Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2010, 06:16 PM   #1
ceci1357
Registered Member

socks ? are they really just nitrate footwear?

How many people think filter socks do more harm than good, even if they are changed every 2-3 days?

ceci1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2010, 06:41 PM   #2
krowleey
Nor Cal

i dont how they can cause a problem in that time frame. But i also feel they are a waste of time dealing with them.

krowleey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2010, 07:22 PM   #3
ihavtats29
Registered Member

i have a small sump removing the sock creates a ton of microbubbles in my tank, pluss they remove the larger particles in the water collum that the skimmer cannot grab

Current Tank Info: 29 biocube HQI
ihavtats29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2010, 07:43 PM   #4
surfjeepzx
Registered Member

Socks or any other type of filtering media are personal preference dictated by the tanks requirements. I use filter floss because a sock would be too difficult to deal with in my application. Just like any other aspect of the tank a sock will require attention. The plus side of filter media in the sump is that it helps prolong the major cleaning event of removing most floating debris and cleaning out the detritus as you catch a majority of it in the sock.

Your call.

Current Tank Info: 135 Acrylic flatback hex. 30 gallon sump. Twin Coralvue 250w MH's w/ 14k Hamiltons, Icecap 660 VHO, 4 URI reflected 110 actinic's. Rio 17hf return & 2 mj1200's (mod'd) pwrhds in tank. All natural... seawater

Last edited by surfjeepzx; 03/09/2010 at 07:50 PM.
surfjeepzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2010, 04:58 PM   #5
qfrisco
Registered Member

They're not bad as long as you clean them frequently. Doing so every 2-3 days shouldn't be a problem. I think the main problem will be the fact that they're a pain to clean that often. :-) I used to run one, and gave up after a few weeks. They would "fill-up" every couple days.

If you decide to use one, have several handy, so you can put one in while you wash the dirty one. Some folks will just soak them in bleach and wash them once they have several to fill up a load.

qfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2010, 07:06 AM   #6
Haplochromine
Registered Member

Without using a sock, the same amount of detritus would be still in the aquarium. With the sock, some of it is in the sock. I don't see where the additional nitrates are coming from?

15G Empty
Haplochromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2010, 07:08 AM   #7
qfrisco
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haplochromine View Post
Without using a sock, the same amount of detritus would be still in the aquarium. With the sock, some of it is in the sock. I don't see where the additional nitrates are coming from?

Good point. But I guess theoretically, if they're in your tank, your clean-up crew is taking care of (at least some of) it, but no so in your sock.

qfrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2010, 09:46 AM   #8
workman
Registered Member

I find that running the sock is an easy way to remove significant amounts of detritus. Very easy to change. Keep enough that you can wash several together. I rinse them with a hose, then drop in the washer with bleach. Let them dry for several days to evaporate any bleach.

workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Mounda
Registered Member

You should be fine if you maintain it every 2-3 days, as mentioned above great dealing with micro bubbles, larger particles and I have a friend of mine that actually uses it to reduce the noise in his sump from his overflow.

Mounda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2010, 02:35 PM   #10
JimmyK
Registered Member

For me filter socks work great. I have a large sump with easy access takes 30 seconds for me to change out every few days. I keep a bucket with a lid when I have a full washer load I run them. I still have plenty remaining for cleaner crew corals etc... Another one of those personal opinion kind of questions. (I also make sure my wife is not home to see me putting all of this nasty in our wash machine).

JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2010, 06:13 PM   #11
ihavtats29
Registered Member

lol when she finds out just remind her bleach kills all the nasty

Current Tank Info: 29 biocube HQI
ihavtats29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2010, 06:17 PM   #12
btkrausen
Fish Hoarder

I started using socks, and they keep your sump super clean. I generally keep around 4-5 of them, keep one going, and then throw them in the washing machine, inside out, with some bleach. Worked great for me. Less cleaning the sump out and catches any extra food that floats and goes down the drain.

btkrausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2010, 06:53 PM   #13
ceci1357
Registered Member

Oxygenated water flowing over filter media forX# days equals nitrate.

Unread 03/15/2010, 08:24 PM   #14
PaxRoma
Registered Member

After I remove the filter sock, life is just much simpler.

PaxRoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2010, 08:48 PM   #15
Beefer
Registered Member

I tried using socks, but it became too much of a chore for me. My fault though... I didn't plan for them in my sump design.

Beefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 11:28 AM   #16
funkoptimus
Registered Member

Dont wash them in a washing machine. You often times have soap residue which is bad....here is an article on soap being left in machines etc.

http://customsites.yahoo.com/financi...e?ywaad=ad0035

funkoptimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 12:10 PM   #17
psykobowler
Registered Member

I use socks and do not change them frequently. I use a pressurized garden hose to clean them once in a while. I have a remote deep sand bed in my system so I am not worried about nitrates.

My main sump is a 4x2x2 120 gallon tank without baffles so I need to contain the bubbles.

Current Tank Info: 300g & 90g display, 90g fragtank, 34g fuge, 120g sump1 w/ RO Xp-5000, 20g sump2 , 5 (2x54wattT5 retrofits) 3 radion xr15pros, 5mp60s, 4tunze6255s, Apex, WXM, KnopCaRx, Avast KalkRx
psykobowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 12:15 PM   #18
rgonzalez
Registered Member

They're great for me. Have you seen a sock after 2 days in the tank? They're nasty and I don't want all that stuff floating around in my tank. If you're leaving for a trip, then just take the sock off so you don't worry about nitrates. I've left mine on for 4 days at a time and still have next to no nitrates. They also help remove microbubbles in my sump.

I do find random things inside the sock though. Last night I found a baby starfish and a few copepods. I just pluck them out and throw them back in the sump.

I like the look of my super clean water w/o microbubbles and I couldn't have that look on my system w/o a sock.

Current Tank Info: 105 DSA
rgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 03:34 PM   #19
ceci1357
Registered Member

Thanks everyonre for posting, I just had a friend who got rid of the socks and his nitrate as well. I've tried cleaning them all the ways ya'll (yep i'm southern) have mentioned. The way I do it is to bleach them in the wash by themselves, rinse in R/O water with declorinator, rinse again, and let dry.

Unread 03/16/2010, 03:42 PM   #20
rgonzalez
Registered Member

Well in your equation you have to find out what X is and then make it
Change the socks every few days and you won't have nitrates. That's my math

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceci1357 View Post
Oxygenated water flowing over filter media forX# days equals nitrate.

Current Tank Info: 105 DSA
rgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 04:54 PM   #21
reeftivo
Skim junkie

I alternate between two socks. I used to throw them in the wash but found that I get them much cleaner by laying them out on concrete and blasting them with a straight nozzle attached to my water hose (turn inside out and repeat). I also dont need to use bleach with the water hose. I find that changing the sock for a clean one then rinsing the dirty one right away when it's wet, gets it clean and is super easy. change out would depend on water quality and bioload, but for me I switch them twice a week and have O trates (tunze measuring box) and .02 PO4 (hanna meter). I have a medium load sps dominated reef with 4 fish .

Tivo

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting with T-5s, apex controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote