Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2010, 10:16 AM   #1
StayPuft
Registered Member

Aquacon?

Has anyone ever bought livestock from AquaCon.com or Aquatic Connection? They have a fish I want but I'd like to get some opinions on their customer service, quality of livestock, etc before going through with the purchase. Thanks in advance!

StayPuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 10:17 AM   #2
GoingPostal
Registered Member

Emphasis on the CON. Stay away.

Unread 03/16/2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Wolverine
RC Mod

Warning: not direct personal experience.
When I started out in this hobby, I looked at ordering from them, and the only positive review out of the dozens I got was from someone who could walk to their place (and may have worked for them, though I never confirmed this absolutely).

Current Tank Info: 14g, 29g nano reefs
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 10:51 AM   #4
StayPuft
Registered Member

That's too bad. It's the only place I could find that has a Jeweled Moray.

Unread 03/16/2010, 10:59 AM   #5
MikeandNicole
Registered Member

Awful reviews and their BBB score is also horrendous (or was when I looked about 6 months ago).

Edit: Still an F
http://www.seflorida.bbb.org/Busines...ction-27001077

Unread 03/16/2010, 11:19 AM   #6
StayPuft
Registered Member

It's a good thing I asked. Thanks!

Unread 03/16/2010, 03:26 PM   #7
GoingPostal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayPuft View Post
That's too bad. It's the only place I could find that has a Jeweled Moray.
I very much doubt they even do, usually if you do get something from that place, it's not what you ordered.

Unread 03/16/2010, 08:12 PM   #8
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

Staypuft ,check out live aquaria as they have had them in before and you can get on a request list at blue zoo as they will email you when they come in . they have done that for me on several occasions .hope you find one as they are very cool moreys

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2010, 09:28 PM   #9
StayPuft
Registered Member

Thanks. I contacted Blue Zoo and they told me they expect to get some in next month. So I'll just wait until then. I'm also on the list from LiveAquaria to be notified when they get one in.

Unread 03/16/2010, 09:37 PM   #10
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

yes blue zoo will notify you too if you ask them to . good luck oh yah are you interested in a true viper morey eel as i have one that need a new home .pm me if you wish so we dont hijack this tread .

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
Unread 03/16/2010, 10:43 PM   #11
TheH
Registered Member

There was a post just recently about someone who ordered a carpet anemone from them but was sent a common condy. They say they have a Jeweled Moray, but they could just send you a snowflake.

TheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 05:18 AM   #12
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

they are a bit more dependable than that and they even have a wysiwyg section so you get actual pictures of your fish to be .

Dave

Unread 03/25/2010, 07:57 AM   #13
wtbusernamepst
Registered Member

Angry AQUACON is nothing but a bunch of Criminals

They Took me for $300
Made an order with them took a day off work to be there for the order arrival.
They dident even call to say they dident ship it even know they knew I took the day off.

I sent emails they dident answer to.

I called and the Secretary told me they will refund the money Saturday???
and to this day they never have after repeated calls and there repeated promisses still nothing.

What a way to do business..... I see they do this to almost everyone,
How is this allowed >?
Anyone know there business address as we have a Summer vacation coming up and ill be in the area, I wouldent mind meeting them.

wtbusernamepst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2010, 10:08 AM   #14
AC2020x
Marine Conservationist

Ok, so this is what just just happend to me! Read my post a few down about getting porc puffer tomorrow.

My dad decided to surprise me without asking and ordered me a porc puffer since I had been considering getting one for a while. Once I found out it was aquacon, I looked up reviews and found nothing but bad things so I wasn't expecting much. I don't know if they have changed management or I just got lucky but I was very impressed with what I got.

My Dad decided to double surprize me and got a porc puffer, butterflyfish and a blue hippo tang. -- Which I didn't know till I opened the box. All the fish were fine and it was very well packaged- the water was about 76 degrees.

It took about a week longer than expected cause my dad said everytime he called the butterflyfish that he had ordered- they told him everytime they got it in, it wouldn't make it though the weekend till they could ship it. So they offered to send a Blue mask butterflyfish instead at no extra cost which was $160 on their website for the medium. Alot more than the other butterfly my dad ordered.

After proper acclimation they all seem to be doing very well and all seem very healthy. The puffer and butterfly ate yesterday, and the tang is still shy, but from what i've read blue hippo tangs take over a week till they start to settle into a new tank, and they are very very shy fish.

I would say my experience with aquacon.com was an A++ so far, however thats just me and I have heard a lot of bad about them. I don't know if I just got lucky or what. Also I've only had the fish for about 2 days now but they all seemed to be doing very well yesterday!

Let me know if you have any questions?

Also all of the specimens looked exactly like they do in the pictures on the site and all seem very healthy.

AC2020x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2010, 11:51 PM   #15
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Exclamation

Over 3 years ago I bought 3 PPE frags for $260 from www.aquacon.com ($79X3= $240 plus $20 box fee = $260). That's what AquaCON called them back then, but that's not what they call them now. Well, they had some weird ordering method where you would fill out a form and then they run your credit card when they are ready. It sounded strange so I called there number and spoke to the owner (Ron) and he assured me that he had several frags, so I placed my order on his site the way he told me to. Well after almost month and no frags, email, or a phone call, I called them several times to cancel my order, but I could only get an answering machine. So after 10+ calls in 3 days I left a message to cancel. Then 3 days after of leaving the call the owner calls my house phone instead of my cell phone and left a message that the frag order shipped and they will be there tomorrow. When I got the package they were clearly NOT what I ordered and NOT PPE's or even close. I tried to contact them but all I was able to do was leave another message on the answering machine for the next 6 or so days until the phone was DISCONNECTED. I thought OMG these guys are actually going to get away with it.

SO DON'T ORDER FROM WWW.AQUACON.COM OR YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF!!!

I was checking around and I noticed they are back online so BUYER BEWARE!

What I supposedly ordered from them.
The ad said 5 polyp frags when I bought them.

This is what the ad said 2 years ago!
Notice How they Changed the Wording and Picture!!!

What I actually got from them.

And if you look now you'll see that they finally dumped PPE's off their Zoa/Paly For Sale list due to my review here and every other forum where I have posted.

AquaCon's Zoanthid , Zoa's, Zoos & more page

PLEASE JUST STAY AWAY FROM AQUACON.COM OR YOU RISK GETTING RIPPED OFF JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE WHO BUYS FROM THESE JERKS!!!!!

-David

SoLiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2010, 01:08 AM   #16
jjk_reef00
Registered Member

I agree with everyone above and would only buy from reputable dealers such as live aquaria and blue zoo. My lfs took $200 from me for a tang and kept saying it never came it, then came in but died, etc... It took me 6 months until the LFS got something I liked and it still wasn't my tang. Unfortunately these smaller operations like to get your money in house and then try to rip you off by giving you livestock that retails for 1/2 of 1/4 of what you paid.

Current Tank Info: 375 FOWLR
jjk_reef00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2010, 01:37 AM   #17
jjk_reef00
Registered Member

The california facility has one:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...89&pcatid=1689

The fish are no treated as well as divers den fish (Wisconsin facility), but I've had good luck ordering hardy fish from Cali. I just make sure I qt. I have no idea how hardy these eels are or how/if you have to qt them.

Current Tank Info: 375 FOWLR
jjk_reef00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2010, 06:40 AM   #18
agreeive?fish
Registered Member

from what i have read(no personal experience) the last 3 letters of their name says it all, i have looked at their website numerous times and find it unbelievable that they have all the fish in stock they show as in stock especially many of the more rare/high dollar ones considering most times the big well know and well respected on line companies dont have them in stock 50% of the time

agreeive?fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2011, 12:39 AM   #19
scoly
Registered Member

Guess I should have done more research!!I ordered about 200$ worth of Zoas from these guys. Well guess what, they ripped me off! Sent order out a week later than they were supposed to, all 3 frags looked bad. The main reason I did the order was to get a frag of Japanese fruit loop Zoas. What they sent me look nothing like what I ordered, what they sent me as fruit loops have brown skirts with pale green centers! One of the other frags said it was going to have 10+ polyps, well I got 6 polyps. So, with that being said, I to say stay away!!!!!!!!

scoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2011, 01:17 AM   #20
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Why isn't a BAN on Aquacon.com Stickied???

Unread 03/11/2011, 11:31 AM   #21
ironeagle2006
Moved On

When I order online I order from 2 Places ONLY Saltwaterfish.com and Liveaquaria.com ONLY never have been ripped off from either place. Live Aquaria has the Divers den and you can normally find the Jeweled Moray there.

ironeagle2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2011, 12:12 AM   #22
saltyfishlvr
Registered Member

Perfect timing, I was thinking about ordering from them, but won't now! Thanks

Unread 03/12/2011, 11:08 PM   #23
NirvanaFan
Reef Ninja

I've also noticed they "borrow" pictures of corals from other people/websites.

NirvanaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 01:46 AM   #24
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

This has been going on for years now. WTH!!!

Unread 03/27/2011, 05:18 PM   #25
balancedtank
Registered Member

I order from them after I heard the business changed hands a few years ago. I wanted to come here and say that they have improved. Sadly I cannot say that. I am still waiting on my refund for a blue sponge (other items were very lacking).
You know they are a scam company because they "somehow" never seem to run out of anything. there is no reef store in the world that never runs out of an item once and a while.
What aquCON does is to send you the closest thing to your order and if they can't get something close, they just don't send the remainder of your order and will not refund you.
I am starting my fraud complaint process this week.

balancedtank is offline   Reply With Quote