Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2010, 01:26 AM   #1
shaggss
Registered Member

shaggss's "Mile High" build!

Hi All

Well after months of planning and buying, my tank is now being built!

Equipment List:

Tank:

1. 75cm x 48cm x 45cm with an external overflow in the back left corner using the Herbie design (thanks Herbie!).

2. Front & sides to be "Low Iron" 10mm glass. The overflow will be made from 8mm (no pressure on overflow) BLACK glass with lid (to help stop algae growth)

3. 2 x 1" drains, one main and one emergency and one 3/4" return which will split into 2 using Locline.

Whole back will be covered in 5mm dark blue acrylic

Stand:

30 or 40mm powder coated tube steel (builder hasn't decided yet). Two front doors with removable side panels. There is also a draw the house all the electrics.

It will be white lacquer finished.

Hole in front of draw is for the Profilux controller display. It will be covered by glass so the little fella can't play!

Hole hole at the back is for the electric cables to enter.

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2010, 01:26 AM   #2
shaggss
Registered Member

Sump:

Custom built 6mm glass on casters for easy removal.

Lights:

ATI Power Module 24" (8x 24W T5). I do think this will be way too much light for the tank, lets see......

Skimmer:

Bubble King Mini 160, again too much but lets see

Controller:

Profilux Plus II, man this thing needs a 4 year science degree to be able to work it!

Pumps:

1 x Eheim Compact 3000 for return (may not be strong enough due to height of stand)

1 x Eheim Compact 2000 for chiller and reactor (BRS dual Camber copy for ROWAPhos and Carbon)

1 x MP 10 at this stage. Not sure it will be powerful enough? Might get the 20, pity about the no grade for it though

ATO:

Will be a black glass tank located behind the tank feeding the sump by gravity through a Level-Loc ATO.

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
Unread 04/01/2010, 01:27 AM   #3
shaggss
Registered Member

This is what it should look like all together:

But with the white lacquer finish (thanks Andrew for the rendering!):

Please feel free to comment.

Thanks!

Unread 04/01/2010, 01:34 AM   #4
Snakebyt
Registered Member

wow, looks like a great thought out system, cant wait to see it come together

Snakebyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2010, 08:13 PM   #5
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
wow, looks like a great thought out system, cant wait to see it come together
Thanks - I hope you're right!

Well the Tank is now being built, though the bad news is it will take 6 weeks!!!! Oh well, gives me time to plan other parts of the tank.

Picked up a few goodies:

I'm really pleased to find these here in Hong Kong. I will run two slightly smaller than required heaters for redundancy through a Profilux Plus II controller. Even though I wont need these for close to 8 months.........These are the new ones that are fully submersible.

Picked up some "Ozzie" sand too........looks like great stuff

Soaking at the moment and since the tank wont be ready for 6 weeks, there should be no PO4 left!

These are Stainless Steel (304) rated at 70KG for the sump tray. I got 5 so should be more than enough.

Some plumbing parts from BRS. I will use all SCH80 PVC with some Flex PVC on the joins to the bulkheads to reduce vibration.

Oh and maybe one of the most important purchases......

I also will be running an MP10 (still thinking about the upgrade kit?). I am also thinking about getting another one. I can only put them at one end of the tank so one will be on top of the other, thats why I was thinking of the upgrade kits so can run as master/slave. Anyone done this? How well do you think it would work?

Next purchase will be the Arctica Chiller 1/10HP......not the best, but the best we can get here in Hong Kong....

Thanks for reading!

Cheers.

Last edited by shaggss; 04/09/2010 at 08:24 PM.
Unread 04/09/2010, 09:32 PM   #6
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Looks to be a nice build. Congrats on getting started

Since the pumps will be on the same side wireless would be nice so you can have them act as one pump. I change my setting all the time. Sometimes they are synced sometimes they are not.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2010, 10:14 PM   #7
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
Looks to be a nice build. Congrats on getting started
Thank you!

Quote:
Since the pumps will be on the same side wireless would be nice so you can have them act as one pump. I change my setting all the time. Sometimes they are synced sometimes they are not.
And thanks for the info, this is what I wanted to do with them. Just need to see if I can get the upgrade kit here in Hong Kong?

I would also like some advise on the plumbing. I am planning on using an Eheim Compact 3000 for the return:

I will be using Flex and SCH80 PVC. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to join either Flex or the SCH80 PVC to this pump. It has a NON-removable 3/4" (19mm) hose barb fitting on the return side? I will also be using a true union check valve (NOT a requirement for flooding, just to keep the water in the tank).

Thanks for any info!

Unread 04/09/2010, 10:23 PM   #8
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I would make a section a foot or so long of clear vinyl tubing. Use a 3/4" pvc barb on the end of your pipe to make the connection. It will also reduce vibration noise.

Unread 04/10/2010, 08:06 AM   #9
MentalNote
Registered Member

Subscribed! Awsome build documentation and impressive equipment list.

MentalNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 06:12 AM   #10
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
I would make a section a foot or so long of clear vinyl tubing. Use a 3/4" pvc barb on the end of your pipe to make the connection. It will also reduce vibration noise.
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well.

Quote:
Subscribed! Awsome build documentation and impressive equipment list.
Many thanks for your kind words! Though a lot would not be possible without the help of everyone here!

Just a short update:

Have made the dual chamber rector which will run Carbon and ROWAPhos.

Cheers......

Unread 04/11/2010, 09:25 AM   #11
shaggss
Registered Member

Also connected up the GHL EVG-AP-2F-HIC to the ATI PM.

Many thanks go out to Andrew and Martin for the info in their posts which can be found here:

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Foru...ead.php?p=4619

Cheers

Unread 04/11/2010, 09:28 AM   #12
shaggss
Registered Member

How do you post a link and substitute the link for a just a word?

Unread 04/24/2010, 06:42 PM   #13
shaggss
Registered Member

Hi All

Just a quick update.

It now appears the stand will be Galvanized and not powder coated, which I am much happier with. Still being built as they are quite busy. I don't expect the tank and stand for at least another 3 weeks. I don't mind as it gives me time to prepare other things........

Got my Level-Loc today. This will be mounted in the return section of the sump and feed by gravity from my ATO container mounted behind the tank.

It will also be connected to a timer for redundancy. I estimate evaporation to be 1/2 to 3/4 gallon per day. So I will have it switched on every 4 hours for 2 mins each time. Might need to fine tweak of course

Next to arrive will be some more plumbing parts (thanks Andrew!) from FlexPVC. I will be finalizing the plumbing over the next couple of days....

Cheers

Unread 04/24/2010, 06:48 PM   #14
dwd5813
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggss View Post
How do you post a link and substitute the link for a just a word?
in the reply screen, you will find an icon of a globe with a paperclip. click that to insert the link you want and follow the instructions. once you finish with the popup box that allows you to enter the link it will appear in your reply with a section of it highlighted. replace that highlighted section with whatever word you want to have appear in the reply. when you're done it will look like this

what can i say? in dog beers, i have only had one. - dublo8

Current Tank Info: 40B aiptasia farm
dwd5813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2010, 06:49 PM   #15
dwd5813
Registered Member

also, this is going to be a really sweet tank. i like the attention to detail.

what can i say? in dog beers, i have only had one. - dublo8

Current Tank Info: 40B aiptasia farm
dwd5813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2010, 04:50 AM   #16
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
in the reply screen, you will find an icon of a globe with a paperclip. click that to insert the link you want and follow the instructions. once you finish with the popup box that allows you to enter the link it will appear in your reply with a section of it highlighted. replace that highlighted section with whatever word you want to have appear in the reply. when you're done it will look like this
Many thanks for the info dwd5813

Quote:
also, this is going to be a really sweet tank. i like the attention to detail.
And thanks for your kind words! If it turns out only half as good as planned I'll be happy!

Just a short update:

Managed to get one of these, mixed reviews, but lets see.......

Cheers.........

Unread 04/26/2010, 05:20 AM   #17
shaggss
Registered Member

test

Unread 04/26/2010, 06:53 AM   #18
Chrisrush
Registered Member

Cool ATO. Where did you get it from?

2 thoughts.

I have my profilux in a drawer like yours, and it gets a little warm, might try and put some holes in the drawer or a small fan to circulate heat out of the drawer.

Also, be careful having the ATO above the sump like that. It will drain quickly if the ATO isn't working properly, although it looks to be a small size chamber.

I really wish I could dim my PM. I don't think that I have the proper ballast though.

My next sump will be on rollers as well. I like to clean my sump out every few months and having it accessible like yours (and Andrews) will be very nice.

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2010, 07:45 AM   #19
d2mini
Registered Member

Looks good!
I dig the matching white casters.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2010, 08:30 AM   #20
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool ATO. Where did you get it from?
I got it HERE at BRS.

Quote:
Also, be careful having the ATO above the sump like that. It will drain quickly if the ATO isn't working properly, although it looks to be a small size chamber.
Thanks for the heads up! This ATO has triple redundancy. 1. Float valve, 2. Solenoid operated by a float switch (closed when power is off) and 3. will be on a timer so I only plan on it opening 2 minutes every 4 hours or so......This is the very reason I chose this ATO and it has great ratings!

Quote:
My next sump will be on rollers as well. I like to clean my sump out every few months and having it accessible like yours (and Andrews) will be very nice.
Yes it will be very convenient. Andrew helped a lot to design mine plus I stole a few of his ideas! Make sure you get Stain Steel casters though.....I plan on packing mine with grease as well.

Quote:
I have my profilux in a drawer like yours, and it gets a little warm, might try and put some holes in the drawer or a small fan to circulate heat out of the drawer.
I thought this might happen and was going to see how it went. I was thinking on covering the top of the draw with acrylic and adding a computer fan to blow air in.....not sure yet though

Many thanks Chris for taking the time to reply........much appreciated

Quote:
Looks good!
I dig the matching white casters.
Dennis....great to see you here! Someone posted that you were banned? Your tank is great and was an inspiration for me........thanks

Unread 04/26/2010, 08:55 AM   #21
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I use that ato on several large tanks. Same one is on our 1500g sps tank. Excellent product. 100% reliable so far after 2.5 years.

Unread 04/26/2010, 10:56 AM   #22
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
I use that ato on several large tanks. Same one is on our 1500g sps tank. Excellent product. 100% reliable so far after 2.5 years.
Yep, did a lot of research and this was the best I could find.......

Another change!

I have decided to change the overflow design. I am canceling the blue acrylic back ground. I was never really happy having acrylic long the whole back wall.

I will now have an acrylic overflow made that will fit inside the glass overflow. That way it will be all glass long the back.

cheers...............

Unread 04/26/2010, 12:08 PM   #23
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggss View Post
Dennis....great to see you here! Someone posted that you were banned? Your tank is great and was an inspiration for me........thanks
LOL, ya it short lived.
Looking forward to seeing more of this one.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2010, 12:46 PM   #24
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
LOL, ya it short lived.
cool.glad ya back!

Here are the updated GSU drawings of the overflow:

Cheers..........

Unread 04/30/2010, 09:13 AM   #25
Chrisrush
Registered Member

I like the update.

Glad to hear about the ATO from current users.

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote