Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2010, 07:52 PM   #1
cilyjr
Registered Member

CilyJr's 180 in wall build (pics of course)

about a month ago i decided to upgrade from a 90 to a 180 gallon reef. heres a pretty recent shot of my 90

here is an old shot but ya can see how it is still set up

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z.../tank-full.jpg

here is a rough of what i want to do

i went out on craigslist and found a tank that was not drilled the price was right and its not scratched up so i bought it. my and 4 guys brought in and had to get down to my finished basement.

Current Tank Info: 180 inwall, 75 sump, 20lfrag, 3x lumen max elite w/250w radium 20k, recirc modded asm g-3, aqua controller apex,2x rw-20, 350lbs LR
cilyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 07:57 PM   #2
cilyjr
Registered Member

next part was cleaning and drilling it i put in a center overflow and drilled 3 drain holes to use the bean animal (roughly) drain system. the little posts are so that it can carry a lid. the returns will be over the top.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...d/IMG_7401.jpg

i used old laminate to hold the overflow in place while the silicone dried

Current Tank Info: 180 inwall, 75 sump, 20lfrag, 3x lumen max elite w/250w radium 20k, recirc modded asm g-3, aqua controller apex,2x rw-20, 350lbs LR
Unread 04/11/2010, 07:59 PM   #3
cilyjr
Registered Member

this is bean animals overflow system
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx
heres the rc thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1310585

Unread 04/11/2010, 08:01 PM   #4
cilyjr
Registered Member

while we were drilling a friend noticed that the extension cord that was running the 90 was warm to the touch. i decided to do the electrical early and leave some extra wire so it could be moved. there are now 2 dedicated 20amp gfi circuits running the tank. and here is the plug bank.

Unread 04/11/2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Off to a good start. Building the tank is by far the part of the whole thing.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2010, 08:05 PM   #6
cilyjr
Registered Member

the stand is wood built using the RocketEngineer build
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

i added some extra wood for kicks

Unread 04/11/2010, 08:09 PM   #7
cilyjr
Registered Member

next i moved the 90 across the room and got it up and running with some local reef club friends...no pics... it was nerve racking. at least it is up and i had a crappy old skimmer that could hang on the edge so its in use now..having to add water with out my ato is annoying but i only got another week at the most like this at the most. here is the equipment i got i spent a medium amount of money this time
for equipment i purchased:
korilia controllable pumps and control module with 4 pumps (i could not use vortec because of clearance issues outside of the tank and i do not like tunze)

2x 250 watt mogul mh lamps in lumenview reflectors for the far left and right.

1x150 de gueissman for the center

i have 2 4ft vhos that i will use as supplemental lighting

ASM G-3 PROTEIN SKIMMER W/ SEDRA 5000 PUMP

NEPTUNE SYSTEMS AQUACONTROLLER JR WITH SERIAL PORT + TEMPERATURE PROBE + DC8

i have already in use a 75g sump and i will use a 20l that is currently a nem tank as a fuge. i will also continue to use my diy calcium reactor for now.

i will be adding a generator in a month but need to pay this all off first :-)

i'll throw in a skimmer pic cuz everyone loves a skimmer pic (hooked it to the old system to see it work

Unread 04/11/2010, 08:15 PM   #8
cilyjr
Registered Member

i started the demo the other day (now we are getting close to current) had to tear down a wall the the previous owner put up to make a halfassed bar in the basement. he must have had a tube tv built in the hole in the wall (before flat screens) there was another for a stereo tuner.

Unread 04/11/2010, 08:16 PM   #9
cilyjr
Registered Member

then we moved in the 180 and leveled it...i should mention my wife did not freak out once! score!

Unread 04/11/2010, 08:24 PM   #10
cilyjr
Registered Member

the 75 g sump is gonna sit at a 90 angle under the 180 where i am crouched in the last picture...

today i got the pineboard back up. i need to save what i could from the makeshift bar area because i am sure that have not made that since 1982! i was not gonna re-wainscott (is that even a word) the entire basement room. so some creative piecing together proved successful! it was still early so i started the finish work. i should note i am no cabinet maker so everything will be painted. Caulking is my BFF.

so this is pretty much where i am today! tuesday will be hanging the doors for the cabinet. i should note i put them in because i want access from the front and rear of the tank. i will also be putting in the rails for the lighting system. i am not sure how well this will work but i have mounted 2 24 inch heave duty drawer sliders to each other one is inverted so it will slide both forward and in reverse. we will see tues!

please post comments and critiques thanks

Unread 04/11/2010, 08:27 PM   #11
cilyjr
Registered Member

i am gonna put black vinyl on the sides. and on the back black acrylic so i can remove it to see in from the back

Unread 04/12/2010, 09:21 PM   #12
cilyjr
Registered Member

didn't do much today but i got the doors up and started messing with the rails for the lighting. this makes the finished room side done minus painting. it looks so much smaller now then it did in the middle of the floor!

Unread 04/12/2010, 09:33 PM   #13
Mordoff
Registered Member

Wow that is very nice. I cant wait to see everything painted and completed and to see it filled up.

Mordoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 09:43 PM   #14
Metal Man 1221
FMMAS Executive Director

ahh man its lookin good , nice progress

and you even had time for a game of chess lol

"Only after the last tree's cut
and the last river poisoned
only after the last fish is caught
will you find that money cannot be eaten"
~Lamb of God~

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, 45g sump ---- 57g Illuminata, custom sump
Metal Man 1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 10:28 PM   #15
cilyjr
Registered Member

thanks. i'm gonna hang the lights tomorrow. put the sand in the tank and i will start filling it. i need to fill it about 1/2 way to have enough water.

Unread 04/12/2010, 10:34 PM   #16
Pallobi
CTARS, BRS & OSRAS Member

i definatly like it... may i ask, was it difficult to drill your own glass? maybe you could share your experience plz

Pallobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2010, 11:05 PM   #17
cilyjr
Registered Member

no its not hard. i have drilled a lot of tanks but this was the first expensive one. the bigger ones are easier though because the glass is thicker. i will post some better drilling pics tomorrow.

Unread 04/13/2010, 12:23 AM   #18
dogstar74
Premium Member

Nice work

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano with ATS
dogstar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 07:58 AM   #19
Pallobi
CTARS, BRS & OSRAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilyjr View Post
no its not hard. i have drilled a lot of tanks but this was the first expensive one. the bigger ones are easier though because the glass is thicker. i will post some better drilling pics tomorrow.
that would be awesome... maybe with a little explanation too sweet ty!

Unread 04/13/2010, 08:22 AM   #20
bevoboy
Registered Member

Nice work. I'm thinking of doing a 180 in-wall so have subscribed and will be following along.

bevoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 08:40 AM   #21
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilyjr View Post
I'm sure you were still nervous though.

It looks great so far! I can't wait to see it filled up and running!

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2010, 02:49 PM   #22
cilyjr
Registered Member

yes the first hole was a little nervy. only times i have been nervous drilling was the very first tank and this one.... but most of the other ones in the middle have been other peoples tanks.lol

Unread 04/13/2010, 02:50 PM   #23
cilyjr
Registered Member

i got the light reflectors up and plumbing mapped out. i will post pics when i am done for the day.

Unread 04/13/2010, 07:45 PM   #24
cilyjr
Registered Member

drilling 101
first off check out this post on how to. it is my opinion that one should not use the dremel method (one of 2 listed in the thread). a hole sawcost about 25 dollars online.

it is easiest to have the glass panel you want to drill facing horizonal with the ground so you will be drilling dowanward. but that was not possible for the 180. it was simply too big to flip on its side with 2 guys.

start by cutting a template of your hole into a wooden block (do not use your diamond hole saw for this.it seems obvious but i figured i should mention it). i cut a notch out of the top to allow water to enter the drilling area more freely

secure your template to the area you want to drill (dont get too close to the edge it can crack more easliy). i normally just use duct tape or even painters tape sometimes.

next ya need a water source i use a 5 gallon bucket with airline tube and a john guess fitting drilled into the bottom and i just open the little valve until water is trickling out. use cold cold water heat caused by the friction is the enemy!!!

next start drilling. if facing the drill down then just let gravity supply the pressure keep moving at a nice steady pace. i use a high speed setting for the drill. some say never stop until you are through but i stop all the time and periodically feel the glass to see if it is warm

that's pretty much it now just put in your bulkhead.

now for tonight's addition of the build

Unread 04/13/2010, 08:30 PM   #25
cilyjr
Registered Member

so we are completely done with this build! not really but getting real close got over the last major hurdle which was the lighting system. it woke me up early thinking this. my biggest problem was haveing the lights able to slide into the finished room but not have tracks. i mounted 2 heavy duty drawer sliders together and ran 1x4s to connect them then hang the lumenbrights to rails between the 1x4. now the lights will slide both forward into the finished room or backwards into the fish room. i will mount 4 foot vhos on this rack as well but thats later) the center light is a guiessman fixture and i was concerned about the weight so it is mounted on pulleys so it can be raised or lowered between the 1x4 rails.

my buddy really loves the look of himself in the reflector

i also got all the plumbing mapped out and cut it just needs glue

and the finished side is 100% done..alright 95% done gotta touch up the paint...the doorknobs are on the cabinets but not in this pic. i need to take off the bottom trim board and paint it proper and replace a couple of the laminate floor boards but that is all at my leisure. oh and get the 90 out of my house!!!