Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/27/2010, 10:04 AM   #1
Ali :D
Registered Member

Question Seachem's new salt, Salinity?

Has anyone tried the new seachem salt called salinity?

I was at my lfs when they just got it in and they were telling me how superior it was over the other brands. From what they were telling me it is not allowed to be sold online but only through trained LFS's who have been to the Seachem HQ in Atlanta, GA and they must attend a 4 day training course to now become a Seachem 'Aqua Vitro' dealer.

The salt is $99 for a larger pail than the others and it will mix 225g at 1.026 SG now i was unaware that most other reef salts state that there recommended mix was at a much lower SG than a reef tank should be kept (1.021-1.023) so i guess it makes some comeback on value that way but its still $99.

So has anyone herd of it or used it?

If somethings too hard to do it's not worth doing!
On a scale of 1 to Insane, I'm a chocolate dolphin.

Last edited by Ali :D; 04/27/2010 at 10:23 AM.
Ali :D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

It better be good at that price.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal reef tank with dual attached refugiums 20 long and 10 gallon. Plus 55 gallon True Percula breeding tank.
Uncle Salty 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2010, 12:44 PM   #3
csmfish
Moved On

Never heard of it and do not think it will last in main stream. This hobby is expensive enough. I think the salt prices now are just on the verge. Also, seeing how IO gets the job done, one would be hard pressed to spend $99 a bucket. Then again, i really have not done the match either.

csmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Shotgunlew
Registered Member

Wow, this salt sounds like some good stuff, My problem is I only have a 12g tank right now....would take me FOREVER to use that.....But its tempting...Anyone know a place in Illinois that carries this stuff?

Chris

Shotgunlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Daniel Reef
Registered Member

I refuse to buy any item that I cannot purchase on-line directly from the source as an alternative or from other online sources. The 4 day training sounds like a gimmick.

20g Life Reef sump
5ft Life Reef Skimmer

See my album for pre-build tank pictures.
Daniel Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Reef View Post
I refuse to buy any item that I cannot purchase on-line directly from the source as an alternative or from other online sources. The 4 day training sounds like a gimmick.
Nope no gimmick. Its all to do with Seachem's new Aqua Vitro line which they refuse to let sell online as they want the sellers to be educated so that they can pass on the advice to the consumer. I know how much this stuff costs wholesale and it has very little markup. All other salts have much bigger profit margins.

By no means am I saying that it is fantastic and everyone should buy it but what I am saying is i think this stuff could be pretty good and for the extra money it could be that much better so that it could save you money.

For now I do not know enough about it to say but at my LFS they are excited about it and they are doing there own tests on it on there 155g bow front to see how it goes down.

I really dont know how you would find who stocks it but I guess Seachem will have their dealers on there website. I do know of another LFS which will be stocking it but for $129 in FL.

Old 04/27/2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmfish View Post
Never heard of it and do not think it will last in main stream. This hobby is expensive enough. I think the salt prices now are just on the verge. Also, seeing how IO gets the job done, one would be hard pressed to spend $99 a bucket. Then again, i really have not done the match either.
I do know the comment the original poster made about IO and others mixing to lower salinity is true. I always do 36 gallon WC's on my sytem and I do not even measure anymore. A 50 gallon bag mixes out @ 1.026 in my 36 gallons.
(I buy the 200 gallon boxes with four 50 gallon bags)

Current Tank Info: 180 gal reef tank with dual attached refugiums 20 long and 10 gallon. Plus 55 gallon True Percula breeding tank.
Uncle Salty 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2010, 01:54 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty 05 View Post
I do know the comment the original poster made about IO and others mixing to lower salinity is true. I always do 36 gallon WC's on my sytem and I do not even measure anymore. A 50 gallon bag mixes out @ 1.026 in my 36 gallons.
(I buy the 200 gallon boxes with four 50 gallon bags)
I guess this is where they say it has better value than other salts and how it can justify it's price.

I should be able to get hold of Seachem's training media and hopefully get some more info on this stuff (Very friendly with my LFS staff incase you were wondering how i know about it)

How about Aqua Vitro? anyone else have good results with this? My LFS gave me some samples and from my short time using I am seeing good results but too early to tell.

Old 04/27/2010, 02:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

here is a link to Seachem's page on Salinity;

http://www.aquavitro.com/Products/salinity.html

Old 04/27/2010, 03:49 PM   #10
romanr
Registered Member

I want the whole aquavitro line (minus the salt) at a club meeting. I use the Balance and liked it so much that I bought more of it on-line (don't tell anyone and don't ask me about my source). I've been tempted to give the salt a try as my LFS sells it for $99. Tropic Marin's new Bio-Actif salt is around the same price but for 160g. I tried a bucket and really liked it. Saving up for another bucket. While saving up, I'm picking up 25G bags of I/O.

Current Tank Info: 150 DD cube mixed reef, 30G sump, Eshopps S-150 cone skimmer, 400W Radium MH, 156W Wavepoint T5, Internet accessible ACIII controller , Vortech MP10 w/ Icecap battery backup, Mini-Arctica chiller, Katalyst fueled reactor fed to Octopus BH800S skimmer
romanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2010, 05:36 PM   #11
chuckstyl5
Registered Member

I have Salinity and started using it on my brand new tank --- So far I think its great ... Then again im still cycling haha

chuckstyl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/27/2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckstyl5 View Post
I have Salinity and started using it on my brand new tank --- So far I think its great ... Then again im still cycling haha
Ok cool well let us know how you get on with it!

Old 04/27/2010, 07:08 PM   #13
Stanley-Reefer
Registered Member

And if that's true, the LFS employees nor the seachem rep could tell me how much salinity it takes to turn 1 gal of RO/DI water into 1.026 this weekend at the LFS's annual sale! It was on sale for $75/bucket too.

I use Reef Salt too! It'll be on sale online if they want to sell more of it.

Stanley-Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2010, 08:18 AM   #14
Kungpaoshizi
Moved On

What makes it 'better'?
Very curious to see if they got it to work as intended
(http://www.seachem-labs.org/support/...ead.php?p=7767)

Last edited by Kungpaoshizi; 04/28/2010 at 08:24 AM.
Kungpaoshizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2010, 09:17 AM   #15
sean A.
Registered Member

I just started using this salt. So far the only problem I have with it is that it does take a Lil longer to mix.
Since I started using it so far I haven't needed to dose anything in my tank.

sean A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2010, 09:54 AM   #16
noahm
Registered Member

If it actually mixes to 1.026, it compares quite readily to the more premium salts price-wise, with the conversion to lower salinity, but is still a fair bit more expensive than IO. The problem is, that the average reefer doesn't even realize that most salt is spec'd to mix at a lower salinity to achieve the gallonage, so I think their price point will make it a difficult sale unless they can get the LFS on board en masse. People tend to just see the big print.

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2010, 10:07 AM   #17
sean A.
Registered Member

Well what I realized was that you get more gallons made with this new salt. Then the money you spend
to dose your tank like CA, Mag, and stuff you save because so far I haven't needed to dose anything.

sean A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/28/2010, 10:38 PM   #18
BFG
Registered Member

There is a thread about salts in the chemistry forum, check it out.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...589326&page=41

Old 04/29/2010, 06:49 AM   #19
Dont Ask Me
Registered Member

I saw this for sale in a local LFS for $120 australian, but there is no way i can justify that price without hearing some dam good results, as i use seachems reefsalts ATM, and even with the salinity difference reef salt works out a hell of a lot cheaper.

Dont Ask Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2010, 09:09 AM   #20
mapleredta
Reef addict

99 bucks? Wow. Our sponsors around our area sell it for 65 bucks a bucket. I will be giving it a chance next go round.

mapleredta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2010, 09:18 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleredta View Post
99 bucks? Wow. Our sponsors around our area sell it for 65 bucks a bucket. I will be giving it a chance next go round.
Ah now that's because you live in Seachem territory! We have to add delivery charges to the LFS and such so bumps it up a bit.

Old 04/29/2010, 10:05 AM   #22
mapleredta
Reef addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali :D View Post
Ah now that's because you live in Seachem territory! We have to add delivery charges to the LFS and such so bumps it up a bit.
I didn't even take that into consideration. Many members of ARC use it, and swear by it.

mapleredta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2010, 10:22 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleredta View Post
I didn't even take that into consideration. Many members of ARC use it, and swear by it.
I thought that's not right! That's less than my LFS pays for it trade. It will be interesting to see how this stuff preforms as I think if it gets the results its saying it does then I think I will be using it. From the other thread it seems its difficult to mix.

I will be talking to a Seachem rep today at the LFS so I will try to get some more info on why this is.

Old 04/30/2010, 06:01 AM   #24
romanr
Registered Member

I was going to either buy the Salinity or the Tropic Marin Bio-Actif which I had tried before and really liked. Then I ran into a sale on IO and just bought 1000g of IO for $194 out the door. I just couldn't pass that up!

Current Tank Info: 150 DD cube mixed reef, 30G sump, Eshopps S-150 cone skimmer, 400W Radium MH, 156W Wavepoint T5, Internet accessible ACIII controller , Vortech MP10 w/ Icecap battery backup, Mini-Arctica chiller, Katalyst fueled reactor fed to Octopus BH800S skimmer
romanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/30/2010, 06:27 AM   #25
RBU1
Moving on Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali :D View Post
Nope no gimmick. Its all to do with Seachem's new Aqua Vitro line which they refuse to let sell online as they want the sellers to be educated so that they can pass on the advice to the consumer. I know how much this stuff costs wholesale and it has very little markup. All other salts have much bigger profit margins.

By no means am I saying that it is fantastic and everyone should buy it but what I am saying is i think this stuff could be pretty good and for the extra money it could be that much better so that it could save you money.

For now I do not know enough about it to say but at my LFS they are excited about it and they are doing there own tests on it on there 155g bow front to see how it goes down.

I really dont know how you would find who stocks it but I guess Seachem will have their dealers on there website. I do know of another LFS which will be stocking it but for $129 in FL.
Well I paid $69.00 a bucket so there is a nice markup......

RBU1 is online now   Reply With Quote