Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/10/2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Sander1001
Registered Member

Lumatek or IceCap

I need a new 250W MH, ballast as the current one won't start my new radium up all the time. 3yrs old. I have two IceCaps for two 250W bulbs one ballast older than the other. Question, do I swithch to Lumatek as it is dimmable and variable wattage or stay with IceCap, Is one that much better than the other? I do plan on going up in gallons one of these days, so it makes that part easy. Just curious on performance and quality.

Sander1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 07:30 AM   #2
RokleM
Registered Member

I'm not sure I follow. You have two icecap ballasts already, however one won't fire the Radium's 100% of the time, is that correct? Do you know what type of ballasts both of them are? Have you swapped the two bulbs or ballasts to ensure that it is the ballast and not the bulb? I believe most of their ballasts are covered via 3 year warranty, so you might be just out of the window.

IF you were looking at a new ballast or two to run the Radium, a couple of us locally run them. I run a Lumatek 250w adjustable and another individual (hollback) has the icecap electronic. Visually, they both look pretty similar as far as I can tell. Bulb life seems to be fine on both ballasts so far. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either, but some will argue that the new adjustable or electronic ballasts absolutely CAN'T run radiums (but I'll let them argue that point as I don't agree ).

Unread 05/12/2010, 08:30 AM   #3
MarlinHooker
Registered Member

I've never run anything but IceCap the entire time I've been in this hobby: great products, great service , great company ...

MarlinHooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2010, 09:17 PM   #4
grigsy
Registered Member

Neither....

With your 250 watt Radiums, I would recommend instead going with an M80 250 watt HQI ballast. You will get better PAR ratings, better growth and will be using a very reliable ballast.

I have been using a few 250 watt M80 HQI ballasts that have been in use for almost 7 years now. Still going strong. The ballasts are from different companies also. When I ran Radium 250 watt bulbs on them, they looked great.

grigsy is offline   Reply With Quote