Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Southwest Tank And Reef Society (STARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2010, 06:39 PM   #1
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Cool Jays 150 Starfire in-wall upgrade (finally!!!)

This has been something I have wanted to do since I first got into saltwater tanks. Or better said: This is what I should have done from the beginning!! Im very excited !! Here is some history: Our first tank, pictured below, was my first attempt at an in-wall but was too deep for a reef. Currently it is setup as a freshwater tank.

Not too long after this was installed I went with a 48X18X22 non-drilled reef tank. This has been running since 2006.

The tank will go into the same room the first tank is in and to the right of the tank just past the light switches. Currently this room is and will continue to be our laundry room, at least for the time being. It is approximately 8 X 8 and is heated and cooled via central air system. There is also a bathroom type vent that draws air out of the room. Because of the current use of the room and the available space that remains, the tank will be 60 X 24 X 25.

The tank: I ordered the tank today from My Saltwater World (Thanks Dennis!!! ) and it is a GlassCages with Starfire glass for the front only. I have wanted one since Dennis setup his 285 in the store!! Because I want to use all available real estate on the bottom of the tank I went with a 1500 gph Glass-Holes overflow kit. That is on order and I had it sent to me without holes and will drill it to the tank holes. Speaking of those I had, with Dennis expert advice on placement, five holes drill. Three on the left and two on the right as you look from the front. Two are for the overflow and two are for the returns. The extra one is for the closed loop. Ill post more details as it goes together.

I will try and keep this thread interesting and updated as much as possible. More to follow!!

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
jmait769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 06:59 PM   #2
strayvoltage
Registered Member

Congrats Jay! We have all been waiting for this to happen. If there is any way I can help you know my number. Knowing how you do things, this will be a great build.

strayvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 07:34 PM   #3
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Thanks John!! I know you have a lot of experience in this so appreciate it!! Boy how long have I been yaking about this??

Here is a poor attempt at my plans for the room using Google SketchUp. The tank will go on the right side. I will move the washer and dryer to the left and rotate to face the aquarium. Ill have to move that cabinet forward and Im thinking about installing a small sink too but not sure on that. Ill get some actual pictures up of the room and where I plan to make the cuts.

Things I need to do first:

Upgrade the electrical box with dedicated circuit for the tank. (Chuy!! )
Build a stand
Cut the wall!!!

Here is a list of my current equipment that I will carry over from the current tank:

Sump: 36x15x15

Auto Top Off: Tunze Osmolotor
Return/Circulation: Eheim 1260
Other Circulation: One VorTech MP40 and a closed loop powered by a Pan World 50PX-X
Tank Automations: AC jr
Heaters: (2) Finex 300w
RO/DI: DIY (Sort of) RO/DI
A list of equipment I need to make decisions on:

Lighting - Unknown
Skimmer - Unknown

Stand Looking at building a steel stand and will follow MeuserReef's build with the stand being very similar to his. Im going to get some quotes on the metal this week and will try and secure that as soon as possible.

Jay

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon, Marco Rocks, 8x80W ATI Powermodule, Apex, Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 external
Unread 05/11/2010, 08:55 PM   #4
Jay508
STARS Vice President

WooHoo!!!

Really looking forward to this. I know this is going to be a beautiful project. I hope you have this up and running by the time I return in September.

Lots of luck to you Jay!

Current Tank Info: One great big empty tank sitting in a room, one smaller tank (with water) in the corner of a room........
Jay508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 08:56 PM   #5
SOULEMAN
Registered Member

Awesome start Jay. I can't wait to see it started. Glad you finally got this started.

Look at those new cone skimmers from octopus. They are some bad boy cones for a great price. They are all over the web and decent priced. If you want to c one in action I can bring you over to my friends house that we just built a 300 in wall.

Dennis

SOULEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 09:14 PM   #6
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay508 View Post
WooHoo!!!

Really looking forward to this. I know this is going to be a beautiful project. I hope you have this up and running by the time I return in September.

Lots of luck to you Jay!
Thanks Jay! I told John once I start its hard to stop so September may be about right!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOULEMAN View Post
Awesome start Jay. I can't wait to see it started. Glad you finally got this started.

Look at those new cone skimmers from octopus. They are some bad boy cones for a great price. They are all over the web and decent priced. If you want to c one in action I can bring you over to my friends house that we just built a 300 in wall.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis for all the help!! I have not had a chance to look at any skimmers yet so will look into the Octopus. I have an external now and was hoping to go that route this time too to keep it out of the sump. But all options are on the table!!

Jay

Unread 05/11/2010, 09:50 PM   #7
chuy marquez
Registered Member

Give me a call so I can help you. Who is ding your stand? I have a welder if you need one. Judging from all your previous projects this should turn out great.

Unread 05/11/2010, 10:06 PM   #8
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy marquez View Post
Give me a call so I can help you. Who is ding your stand? I have a welder if you need one. Judging from all your previous projects this should turn out great.
Thanks Chuy! I will be doing the stand. I will call you tomorrow!

Jay

Unread 05/11/2010, 10:21 PM   #9
benjabba
Registered Member

Congrats Jay. Glad you finally got around to getting it done. Since you don't have any lights picked out yet I would put two new dedicated circuits in just in case.

Member of Jeff's "How to deal with Reef Addiction" class.

Anybody got any corals???

Current Tank Info: 34g Solana, 50g frag tank, 65g sump/fuge
benjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 11:27 PM   #10
amore169
Registered Member

Congrats Jay! Is going to be a really nice set up.

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallon Starphire Rimless. 8 A360WE Kessils with controller. Sfiligoi Infinity DDE 6X250 light fixture. Bubble King Internal 300 Deluxe. 215 Gallon Oceanic Starphire Ultimate FOWRL. 34 Gallon Solana.
amore169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2010, 11:30 PM   #11
deehz
Registered Member

Jay,
This is going to be a great build! If you need any help w/anything let me know. I am pretty handy, at least my wife thinks so! I can send you my resume upon request! LOL!

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
deehz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2010, 12:15 AM   #12
SOULEMAN
Registered Member

Jay they do make those cone skimmers external also.

SOULEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2010, 07:46 AM   #13
psuedopimp
Registered Member

the mustang must finally be finished, or your daughter took all your driving rights away. anyway glad you rotated back to your other addiction!

if you need any help let me know.

Unread 05/12/2010, 08:27 AM   #14
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Ben Good idea!! Ill have to let the expert guide me! He does not know what he is getting into. I dont want to scare him off but flat roof with trusses and very little space to work.

Arnie Thanks!!

Deehz Thanks and I will let you know. Thinking we can set up a club meeting and I can then get some free labor at the same time!!

Dennis Are you thinking XP 2000?

Justin Mustang on back burner for the time being! Now that we drive it (yes I still have driving rights!!) we do not want to take it down for an extended time until fall I guess. Mustang + Aquarium = Money Pit!!

Jay

Unread 05/13/2010, 04:14 PM   #15
chuy marquez
Registered Member

PM me your number, the one I have is a non working number.

Unread 05/13/2010, 05:31 PM   #16
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy marquez View Post
PM me your number, the one I have is a non working number.
PM sent Chuy!!

Got my first goodie in the mail today from Glass-holes!! This was bought on Monday and I have it today!! I like how thin the overflow box is.

I guess I will have to buy the metal for the stand in El Paso unless someone knows of a supplier in LC?

Jay

Unread 05/13/2010, 08:14 PM   #17
jmait769
-CSHFLW

This is the wall I will be placing the tank behind. The bottom tape is 39 from the floor. Do you think that is too high? I know the better half will want it higher!! You can see I centered it on the other tank.

This wall is not a load bearing wall and I have some pics of when the house was being constructed (not the best quality but will give you an idea). You can see the truss system in the second picture for the ceiling and the wall is 10 feet high.

Ive scoped out this area for any possible reason not to put it here for awhile so if you see anything Ive missed let me know! You know how you look at something forever and then right after the point of no return it smacks you right between the eyes!!!!

Jay

Unread 05/13/2010, 09:29 PM   #18
chuy marquez
Registered Member

You'll have to relocate the two phone or tv jacks right below the tank. The wires usually come from the top.

Unread 05/13/2010, 10:28 PM   #19
deehz
Registered Member

Jay,
When I looked at the pictures, are the studs where you are going to put your tank 16" on center? If it is, it is a load bearing wall. Some truss mfg's require w/large span trusses, that they have a 3 point bearing system. Sometimes they call it load bearing, drag wall, shear wall, etc. But it is all the same, it is bearing. I am not sure what term they refer it too here, but in AZ and Cali, the "construction" terms are the same. Unless, you have the house plans that state so otherwise. Also, to minimize any further damage to the wall itself, the tv and phone jacks wires only have to be moved and not the boxes themselves unless you did want to move them. One thing that I have found out over the years, if the boss wants it higher, then higher it must go! LOL.

Thanks!

There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed. ~Mohandas K. Gandhi
Unread 05/13/2010, 10:37 PM   #20
deehz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmait769 View Post
I guess I will have to buy the metal for the stand in El Paso unless someone knows of a supplier in LC?

Jay
Jay,
Here you go. I think they have all the metal that you may need.

Thanks!

http://www.craigentaggert.com/

Unread 05/14/2010, 07:23 AM   #21
psuedopimp
Registered Member

craigen taggart are nice people and they have supplies, but PMS off of stern dr will have a lot bigger selection and i think better prices. they also have a remnant section that you can dig through but then you have to buy the whole piece.

glass holes must have great service to send Mike and Ike with every purchase that is cool.....and what is with mr burns on pakage.

Unread 05/14/2010, 08:53 AM   #22
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Deehz - Thanks! I will stop by Craig en Taggert today.

The studs are not 16 on center. When the house was being constructed this area was reconfigured a few times (wife did not like the layout!! ) after the trusses where in place. There was originally a door planned on the right side between the two right studs (17 and 19) and she had them move that. I was told then that it was not load bearing and they could reconfigure. Thinking about it though I guess the safe thing to do is treat it as load bearing.

Justin They seem to have fun with what they are doing and their product. The first line of the instructions reads Thanks for padding our pockets. I thought that was funny.
Will check out PMS also. Seems I have more optioned than I first thought. Thanks!!

Jay

Unread 05/14/2010, 11:56 AM   #23
Jay508
STARS Vice President

Looking really nice and very well thought out. Looking like you have you work cut out (no pun intended) for the summer. Is it really work though if you are having fun while doing it? Did the keys to the ford come in the box from all glass as well? Im excited for you Jay, wish you the best of luck with this project!

Current Tank Info: One great big empty tank sitting in a room, one smaller tank (with water) in the corner of a room........
Jay508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2010, 12:22 PM   #24
puffin04
S.T.A.R.S VICE P

Just to let you know Jay the metal stands will rust over time. One of my friends Terry that has had his tank for 10 years in wall tank stand is all rusted up! He told me he put number coats on the metal stand and it did not hold up. Thanks

Steffen Sparks

puffin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2010, 12:48 PM   #25
jmait769
-CSHFLW

Thanks Jay! Im really catching the fever as the parts come together. Youve hit it right on head the last time I did this I did not sit back and enjoy the build. I hurried and afterwards really wished I had gotten a reef read tank. It wasnt that bad as it has been up for 4 years but this time Im trying to think through it as much as I can. I should have the tank by the end of the month (Ill be out of town but Dennis will be taking care of it) so am taking my time.

Steffen I understand. It is just that the area Im putting this in is tight and I want maximum space. I was looking at coating it with the bedliner paint. Is that what Terry used?

Jay