Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Javex and vinegar

Just used both to clean my skimmer. I had the skimmer in a plastic tub mixed with 1 part vinegar and one part javex to 10 parts water. Had it running overnight to clean the darn thing. I rinsed it to death today and could not get rid of the smell of the Javex.

Will this give me problems? Thanks in advance...

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon, 3 G4 Radions
Mike de Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 09:02 PM   #2
vivioo7
Registered Member

if its ur whole skimmer then maybe but if its just the collection cup then i say no. i say maybe because bleach is supposed to completely evaporate if you let the skimmer dry but if u can smell it then there is some still there, idk if that will be enough to affect the tank though

vivioo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Tinysreef
Moved On

Try

using the blue dawn dish soap,,, the one with the white seal pup on it...

It was was suggested to me by a local acrylic shop,,, I have done it a few times after cleaning out my tanks with no side affects....

but as always please use your own judgment,,, PS it don't take much.... and as always rinse well and hand dry.

Last edited by Tinysreef; 05/17/2010 at 10:16 PM.
Tinysreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 10:12 PM   #4
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Your not supposed to mix vinegar and bleach unless your cleaning something covered in anthrax (not a joke). The mixture can kill you and is toxic so please do not use this to clean skimmers. Vinegar is all you need.

I would run the skimmer in a tub with some fresh saltwater for a few days until the bleach smell goes away.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2010, 10:15 PM   #5
sedor
Registered Member

+1 just rinse for a day...I didn't know bleach and vinegar was a bad combo, thanks for the heads up!

Unread 05/18/2010, 05:09 AM   #6
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Thank you. I did not know that vinegar and javex is highly toxic. I needed the javex in there to get the plastic to clear up again. I hate dirty skimmers. I will try the soap. I did run it for 24 hours in clean water to no avail. Maybe i needed to do it longer. The last thing I need now is a crash after spending so much time to get it to where it is...

Unread 05/18/2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Your not supposed to mix vinegar and bleach unless your cleaning something covered in anthrax (not a joke). The mixture can kill you and is toxic so please do not use this to clean skimmers. Vinegar is all you need.

I would run the skimmer in a tub with some fresh saltwater for a few days until the bleach smell goes away.
I think it is bleach and ammonia that should not be mixed?

Current Tank Info: 180 gal reef tank with dual attached refugiums 20 long and 10 gallon. Plus 55 gallon True Percula breeding tank.
Uncle Salty 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 09:14 AM   #8
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty 05 View Post
I think it is bleach and ammonia that should not be mixed?
Self correction: Both are a bad combo.

Bleach and ammonia are an excellent example. Another example is bleach and vinegar. I know, I know... if you run a search on Google you'll read that vinegar increases the killing power of bleach. Yes, it makes the chemicals more likely to kill you or your kids or your pets. It also helps to kill anthrax spores. If you find yourself in a position to do an emergency decontamination of an item coated with anthrax, by all means, mix the bleach and vinegar. If you just want a sparkling clean bathroom, use a product designed for that purpose. Bleach combines with acids (e.g., vinegar, lemon juice) or certain bases (e.g., ammonia, drain cleaner, urine in the catbox) to release chlorine and chloramine vapors. Realistically, you're probably not going to kill yourself mixing a little bleach and vinegar in a bucket of water (as opposed to mixing them directly). You can get a lethal dose of chlorine by taking a few breaths of it at a concentration of 1 part per thousand in air. You can't gauge the concentration by smell, since most people can smell chlorine at a reasonably safe concentration of 35 parts per million. However, you can get a nasty chemical burn, especially of your eyes and lungs. Mixing these chemicals just seems like an unreasonable risk to take.

Current Tank Info: 180 gal reef tank with dual attached refugiums 20 long and 10 gallon. Plus 55 gallon True Percula breeding tank.
Uncle Salty 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Daniel Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Salty 05 View Post
Self correction: Both are a bad combo.

Bleach and ammonia are an excellent example. Another example is bleach and vinegar. I know, I know... if you run a search on Google you'll read that vinegar increases the killing power of bleach. Yes, it makes the chemicals more likely to kill you or your kids or your pets. It also helps to kill anthrax spores. If you find yourself in a position to do an emergency decontamination of an item coated with anthrax, by all means, mix the bleach and vinegar. If you just want a sparkling clean bathroom, use a product designed for that purpose. Bleach combines with acids (e.g., vinegar, lemon juice) or certain bases (e.g., ammonia, drain cleaner, urine in the catbox) to release chlorine and chloramine vapors. Realistically, you're probably not going to kill yourself mixing a little bleach and vinegar in a bucket of water (as opposed to mixing them directly). You can get a lethal dose of chlorine by taking a few breaths of it at a concentration of 1 part per thousand in air. You can't gauge the concentration by smell, since most people can smell chlorine at a reasonably safe concentration of 35 parts per million. However, you can get a nasty chemical burn, especially of your eyes and lungs. Mixing these chemicals just seems like an unreasonable risk to take.
I had a relative pass away last year because they made that mistake.

20g Life Reef sump
5ft Life Reef Skimmer

See my album for pre-build tank pictures.
Daniel Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 03:11 PM   #10
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

yikes!