Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/18/2010, 12:03 PM   #1
hansnfrans
Registered Member

Solenoid making loud buzzing noise, should i be concerned?

I just hooked up my calcium reactor setup after letting it sit for almost a year. Now whenever the pH controller tells the solenoid to turn on to open the valve it makes an obnoxious LOUD buzzing noise. It still works but does this buzzing noise mean that the solenoid will eventually fail and cause an electrical fire or something serious like that????

hansnfrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Ed D
Registered Member

I would be concerned.

Electromechanical devices (soleniods, relays) should not make funny noise,
Click when you apply power
Click when you remove power
No noise with no or constant power.

Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2010, 01:31 PM   #3
-=Efrain=-
Registered Member

I am no expert but you can check your wiring as it may not be getting enough electricity. I would take it apart and make sure its clean and nothing is stuck. Of course if it gets really hot then it maybe time for a new one. It should only get warm.

Current Tank Info: 125 GL, Mixed Reef, Yellow, Hippo, Sailfin, Powder Blue, Kole Tangs, 2 Onyx Clowns, 4 Firefish, Midas Blenny, Malenarus & Yellow Coris Wrasse 3 250W MH 14K DE, 250Lbs LR, 150 Lbs LS, 2 Korilias 4s, 45g Sump/Fug, Carbon Reactor, Cal Reactor, Skimmer
-=Efrain=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2010, 10:06 PM   #4
driftin
Registered Member

In addition to the above two posts, is there anything causing the plunger to bind up part way through its travel?

Current Tank Info: 70 gal custom room divider
driftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2010, 10:47 PM   #5
mario4254
Registered Member

i would replace it. you dont want it to fail and get stuck in the open position dumping excess Co2 .
with some things its better to be safe than sorry

Current Tank Info: 4x2x2 120 gallon SPS/LPS reef ,40 gallon sump/fuge, H&S skimmer A150-F2001, 2x250 MH, 4x65 CF, Knopp HD calcium reactor,2x Vortech MP40W, 2x Koralia #3, AC JR / 30x20x12 frag tank
mario4254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2010, 12:07 AM   #6
Volcano1
Registered Member

Had one do that and the cause was low line voltage.Is there a way to check and see how much current it is getting. Large runs or circuits with high draw devices will sometimes cause it. Put mine on a low draw circuit and no problems. HTH's.

Volcano1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/20/2010, 01:27 PM   #7
skunkmere
Registered Member

i think you can rebuild those. or at leat separate the solenoid from the rest of the assembly and check the voltage and see if it hums off the assembly as well. you may be able to replace just the solenoid. i would do this as a last resort before buying a new one, just in case you can't fix it.

skunkmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/21/2010, 12:36 AM   #8
hansnfrans
Registered Member

Here's something interesting: every time I plug in the solenoid the noise can vary from loud to soft. Meaning, if I plug the solenoid in the noise may be consistently loud but then I unplug it and plug it back in and the noise will then be consistently soft. Does anyone know what that means?

Old 05/21/2010, 01:25 AM   #9
hansnfrans
Registered Member

Fixed it by disassembling and reassembling it. Thanks everyone for your input!