Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/19/2010, 02:39 PM   #1
SeanT
Premium Member

Tang compatibility chart.

Does anyone have a link to a tang compatibility chart which shows which species fare better with others?

Thanks,
Sean

Current Tank Info: Barebottom (the tank not me...at least not at the moment).
SeanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2010, 12:59 AM   #2
SeanT
Premium Member

Anyone?

Unread 05/20/2010, 01:08 AM   #3
GhostCon1
Rebmem Deretsiger

The only thing I can think of (because the site that I found wont load) is that keep them 3-5 groups to not fight, similar body shapes fight, different body shapes don't as much.

Although, I was wondering if perhaps one could have different tangs of the same body type (IE: Scopas, flavescens, desjardini, xanthurum, etc.) or would the color set them off.

Current Tank Info: Getting a big'un
GhostCon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2010, 10:02 AM   #4
anbosu
Registered Member

I have never seen a chart, but generally speaking if you get tangs from different genus they will get along ok. Groups rarely work long term except in extremely large aquariums. Similar colors can be a problem, and tank size is usually a big factor in whether they will get along.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2010, 10:24 AM   #5
kirkaz
Jade

Don't know of a chart, but here is my 2 cents....

The Ctenochaetus and Naso genus are the least aggressive, Naso obviously being very large as adults.

Zebrasoma can certainly be highly territorial, and tricky to keep together, Yellows and Purple often work in odd numbers (3 and 5).

The Acanthurus genus tend to be real nasties, some being much worse than others. In a long list of Triggers, Angels, and Wrasses I've kept, the 2 most dominant fish I've kept have both been Acanthurus (Sohal and Achilles). Mixing this genus is not advised unless a huge tank, and should typically be the last Tang added and often the last fish added.

Hobby experience-since 2001
kirkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2010, 08:05 PM   #6
SeanT
Premium Member

Thanks for the good info.

Unread 08/01/2010, 12:09 AM   #7
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Just to throw my hat in the ring...

The whole 'odd number of tangs so they don't fight' is hogwash. I heard the same nonsense when I was starting out from my LFS and so I tried it in my old 210 with 3 juvi yellow tangs. They were only juvie's and still didn't tolerate each other. It was nothing MAJOR, but I HATED the nipped fin look. Made them look ratty.

Another thing I hate reading here is that tangs of different genus will get along. Color and shape are not the only criteria to consider. The FIRST thing to look at is, how big is the tank? How big are the tangs in question? What is the temperment of each, and what was the order they were added??

Tangs don't like food competitors, ie: other tangs. No matter the genus. For example, just because a yellow tang and powder blue tang are different genus and different colors, doesn't mean they'll be chummy. Try that lineup in a 55 and you'll see what I mean. If you're wanting to keep those 2 fish, you'd get a bigger yellow than pbt and add the yellow first. If your tank is large enough and you're adding an achilles or sohal etc...make sure it's added last and on the smaller side. There are MANY MANY MANY things to consider when adding tangs to your tank. None of which should be mirrors and taped pictures on the outside of the tank. That always kills me. If a fish is qt'd and healthy...and added at the right size, to the right lineup, in the right sized tank, in the right order, you'll be less likely to have issues.

Less likely. Because you can do everything right and still have issues. Nothing is a gurantee. Fish are like people, they are all different. You might get a naso that didn't get the memo that he's supposed to be docile.

TampaReefer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2010, 12:30 AM   #8
hugo209
Registered Member

i agree with tampareefer79. it really does matter on what order, size and tank volume. i currently have a 240g and have 2 yellow, scopas, vlamingi, and a sailfin tang. And currently all seem to get along fine for the time being. but i know that can change very quickly. just like people have different personality's, tangs also have different behaviors.
just my 2cents.!

hugo209 is offline   Reply With Quote