Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2015, 07:32 PM   #26
Plantladykatie
Registered Member

Great advice, I use epoxy or reef glue on them after I break off their tube-like extension. Many large wrasses will eat them too, but most wrasses that eat them will also eat shrimps & small inverts.

Plantladykatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2015, 09:17 PM   #27
Timfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzrdbear View Post
vermetid snails are plankton eaters, not coralavores. These mesosnails secrete mucus that catch detritus and planktonic material that they then pull in to eat. If there are huge numbers of them, say several hundred within 2.5 inches or so, then a coral might get bugged, but by no means will the snails eat a coral. You have another culprit it sounds like. Those arent numerous enough to even slightly irritate a coral. I would watch your tank at night by spot checking it with a red lense flashlight. I would bet there is something in there you havent seen yet.
+1

Unread 11/22/2015, 10:24 PM   #28
Isayso
Registered Member

what have you seen?
I see just bristle worms...and the pesky snails webs

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Isayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 01:19 PM   #29
soeminpaing
Registered Member

I am also losing the battle with these snails.

Current Tank Info: [url=http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2506749] IM Fusion 20 build[/url]
soeminpaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 04:18 PM   #30
catman78
Registered Member

BOIL THEM...
Syringe with boiling water from mircowave.
Blast it down tube, done.

To get and ID on their location kick up the bottom a little, so they throw their skank out.

In addition I stopped with Reef Chili at night. Cutting down on stuff in water column.

catman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 06:41 PM   #31
Isayso
Registered Member

Easy said than done.. I've got hundreds of them...
Really we need to find a biological controller
Or an additive / chemical that not hurt
The corals and fish

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Unread 12/17/2015, 11:06 PM   #32
SmokeyNite
Registered Member

I cooked my rocks for 4 months total and crushed the snails every time I would switch the water. They were spread out on every single rock, billions of them!! And they hurt!! They killed several of my corals by spreading across them and or having their mucus web spread all over them. There were only a few left when I put the rocks back into my tank last month, but now they are spreading again!

I used to have a six line and I think he took care of the problem. But I had to get rid of him (and destroy my rock display in the meantime) because he was bullying and killing other fish in my tank. Tomorrow I'm going to see about getting a yellow wrasse and see if that helps any. Any other suggestions to get rid of these things??

SmokeyNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2015, 03:13 PM   #33
Isayso
Registered Member

Two weeks ago bought a melanurus wrasse
Based on a few feedbacks
He is not bad or aggressive as other wrasses
Like the Christmas wrasse, ornate, ornatissimus.
Right now he is in the qt. Has been eating pellets, flakes,and frozen misys
This kind supposed take care of them..
I really hope so
Will see... I will post update in a couple of weeks after it goes in the display tank

Unread 12/18/2015, 04:43 PM   #34
daquan44
Registered Member

Wow! I just learned that these guys are a tank pest. I have thousands of them in my tank, and they do hurt. I cant pick up a piece of live-rock without their tubes scratching up my hands. However, my SPS and soft corals are thriving even with their presence. I have a six-line wrasse, but if he eats them it isn't fast enough.

daquan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2015, 05:31 PM   #35
Isayso
Registered Member

They're a pest
And I want to get rid of them

Unread 12/18/2015, 05:38 PM   #36
daquan44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isayso View Post
Two weeks ago bought a melanurus wrasse
Based on a few feedbacks
He is not bad or aggressive as other wrasses
Like the Christmas wrasse, ornate, ornatissimus.
Right now he is in the qt. Has been eating pellets, flakes,and frozen misys
This kind supposed take care of them..
I really hope so
Will see... I will post update in a couple of weeks after it goes in the display tank
If you haven't added copper to your QT, you should put a piece of rock with the snails on it to see if he will consume them.

daquan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2015, 05:43 PM   #37
Isayso
Registered Member

That is a great idea, unfortunately there is copper unless I put a ruble with those pests

Unread 12/18/2015, 06:17 PM   #38
Sk8r
RC Mod

I had a purple tang once that had a thing for those little two-tentacle tube thingies that grow on the sandbed. Wiped 'em out. But I can't swear what any tang will take to.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2015, 08:38 PM   #39
Isayso
Registered Member

OK folks....
thanks to sk8er for the great idea ...
sometimes we dont think..LOL

I just grabbed a 2" rubble with tubesnails.. about 1" long
and I dropped in the QT..
after a couple of minutes the wrasse was going at it
the little tubesnails were gone fast the bigger ones are more resistant
because of the hard tube
unless I crash the tube...
here is a video of the wrasse, not a good quality ..was taken with the phone
but at 1.05 minutes you see clear the wrasse in action

VIDEO

Unread 12/18/2015, 11:16 PM   #40
Isayso
Registered Member

Sorry guys I ment to say.

"daquan44"....thanks for your idea buddy

Unread 12/19/2015, 12:28 PM   #41
iced98lx
Registered Member

not to be a total buzzkill, but as someone how has fought this battle, nipping at the end of the tube doesn't mean he's eating or killing them. Snap some photos of the base of the snail, if it's not crushed open, they're not dead. Wrasses like that do eat off rocks in the wild, so pecking at the rock isn't unusual, actually crushing the base of the snail to get to the actual snail would be unusual.

Generally there are a few fish (the wrasse you got) that are "suspected" of eating them, very little in the way of proof and certain individual fish specific.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2015, 03:02 PM   #42
ClownFishGuy6
Registered Member

Well if you don't have any invertebrate's or anything in your tank that can be killed by copper medicine then you should try putting in a ick treatment that kills all invertebrate's. They may be immune to this or may not be. I am not sure. I have never had anything like that before.

ClownFishGuy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2015, 04:10 PM   #43
Isayso
Registered Member

well that was after a couple of minutes after the rock was dropped in the tank

I will keep an eye on the rock

Unread 12/19/2015, 11:06 PM   #44
iced98lx
Registered Member

Report back with pics, would be good to document a confirmed case of the wrasse eating them if he is.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2015, 01:37 PM   #45
Isayso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
Report back with pics, would be good to document a confirmed case of the wrasse eating them if he is.
see what I can do ..but definitely i will observe this one closer

Unread 01/14/2017, 08:21 PM   #46
becon776
Registered Member

Wrasse dont do jack.. bumblebee snails are a no.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 02:53 AM   #47
2wheelsonly
Registered Member

I can't seem to get rid of them by starving them myself. I stopped all feeding except for pellets every other day. No luck.

I dose prodibio which is a form of bacteria/carbon dosing.

Not sure if this is "feeding" them. I am literally putting nothing else in my tank other than water changes and my calcium reactor with ARM media. I probably have about 300 of them. My nutrients are very low and have no visible algae in the tank right now. My water is clear as can be and rocks are deep purple. No clue what the hell these things are eating!

I am not sure if nets are killed nearby corals but there are definitely bothering them, I see many SPS frags with no PE covered in webs daily.

2wheelsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 10:20 AM   #48
Retzius
Registered Member

I have had them in all my tanks and they take over. They soon will be found inside your return pump tubes etc.

People say feed less, but I have not been able to get rid of them. I am starting a 200 gallon and I did not use my old real reef rock because they took over. Had to use new dry rock. Also, they grow on all your equipment. I have really good old real reef rock full of pods that I sadly have to get rid of.

I think these guys are underrated and worse than aiptasia. At least Aiptasia has a predator. I don't think these little shits do. The whole glueing is pointless because they reproduce at an alarming rate, at least from what I have observed.

Last edited by Retzius; 01/16/2017 at 10:26 AM.
Retzius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 02:47 AM   #49
pisanoal
Registered Member

There are different "varieties" of them it would seem. Some are quite large and others much smaller, with their tubes being only a mm or so wide. I have a smaller version, but they never "took over" I maybe had a couple hundred between my sump and underneath my live rock. A few here and there on top. Had a melanarus in the tank, and he didn't touch them. Gluing works if you only have a few and stay on top of new ones, but it is not an effective long term solution to get rid of them, there will always be some in places you cant get to.

I upgraded recently and tried to not introduce them into the new tank. I tried dipping everything in bayer and some things in iodine. Also manually removed all I could see. Neither dip seemed to kill them as I still had some come back. They are few enough that I manually remove them every time I seem them. They are only on my coral frag rocks/lps bases, so I can take them out, inspect, remove. I had some get on a rock, but I gave it an acid bath, and put it back in. So far, I seem to be winning the battle, but only a full system reboot with meticulous care afterwards will beat them.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 06:10 AM   #50
becon776
Registered Member

That is where i am at...however trying to walk that path with a fully stocked tank is precarious

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

becon776 is offline   Reply With Quote