Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/07/2010, 04:46 PM   #1
PelagicMagic
Registered Member

Aluminum oxide based phosphate/silicate remover

does anyone use aluminum oxide based phosphate removers?

PelagicMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2010, 05:44 PM   #2
reef_doug
Premium Member

Aluminum oxide maybe a little more effective with removing silicate, but the drawbacks of aluminum are a greater concern.

Aluminum and aluminum-based phosphate binders
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2003/chem.htm

Current Tank Info: 180r SoCal Creations, 75g SCC1M Sump, WM EcoBAK, NextReef SMR1, TropicMarin Salt, ACIII, 3x250w HQI Phoenix 14k, 2x140w Super Actinics, ATi BM250, Eheim 1262, Tunze 2x6100+7095, Tunze Osmolator, 6 stage RODI w/ Spectrapure MaxCap
reef_doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Stuart60611
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_doug View Post
Aluminum oxide maybe a little more effective with removing silicate, but the drawbacks of aluminum are a greater concern.

Aluminum and aluminum-based phosphate binders
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2003/chem.htm
Drawbacks aside, curious how effective it is at removing phosphate when compared to GFO?

Stuart60611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2010, 06:16 PM   #4
PelagicMagic
Registered Member

thanks, well then what is a safe media for phosphate removal?

I am not going to continue with aluminum oxide after this round. I have noticed reduction in algae after 5 days of use.

Many members in my club have told me they have issues with GFO.

Unread 07/07/2010, 10:17 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

GFO and the aluminum media are the common choices. People have issues with both, but I think the GFO is safe enough if used carefully. I'd definitely start out with a small dose, though, if I went that way.

Another approach is lanthanum dosing, which cause phosphate to precipitate. The precipitate can be caught in a filter, although some people just let it settle to the bottom of the tank. It can lower phosphate very quickly and cause problems in that way. Other people have reported losing fish, but it's not clear what the causal mechanism would be for that.

Unread 07/08/2010, 05:55 AM   #6
wayne in norway
Registered Member

I didn't think Al based P removers removed silicate? They do remove discolourant organics rather well, an as they are larger grained than GFO I think they work better in a bag, and that is where I keep mine in combination with some carbon. I don't have big issues with P and this small amount in combination with my other filtration does well for me.
GFO works well in a reactor and 'fixes' silicate problems too. My reactor is full of zeolites tho'.

I use the FM Al based remover and that seems ok. I did use the Seachem stuff some years ago and got bad results with softies.

I do not like Lanthanum chloride. I am afraid people will dose it heavy and it will mimic calcium and kaibosh calcification - I have seen one case where this was done. If you google Lanthanum calcification you will find reference to this being problem with dialysis - the La is very good at removing P, but risks interfering with human bone calcification.

wayne in norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

I didn't think Al based P removers removed silicate?

Yes they do and very, very fast, .ie., 1- 2 ppm in 48 hrs or less. I'm actually the guy that discovered that, by accident, back in the 90's when I did some work for Thiel I had gotten a new HACH silica test kit and could not figured out why 2 tanks that had 95 % WC the next day one tank was at 2 ppm and the other at 0 ppm. So, it was what was different and the only thing was I had X Phosphate in one tank and not the other. So, I added some the next day to the other tank and poof 0 ppm silica. I then told Thiel who added a new product X-Silica, which ticked me off, as now people where using 2 x to much of it. When I told Dr. Leo Moren from SeaChem labs, he just added it to the PhosGuard label, the correct thing to do, with still the same dosage.

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2010, 04:44 PM   #8
PelagicMagic
Registered Member

Wayne how long have you been using the Aluminum oxide?

Boomer what are your thoughts on its use?

Unread 07/08/2010, 06:16 PM   #9
elijaher
Registered Member

Which one remove silicate better Aluminum or GFO?

elijaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2010, 08:27 PM   #10
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijaher View Post
I use alum for silicate removal in a pinch if need be.

I use GFO on a daily basis

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2010, 01:13 PM   #11
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

Aluminum oxide

I see no issue if you are not having problems, which is mostly with soft corals. However, GFO is more efficient.

Aluminum oxide IMHO

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote