Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Stuginski
Registered Member

Seachem duel (De*Nitrate vs Matrix). What is the big difference???

Hi guys...

I have to confess I really like some seachem products...and in my search for a good media to host anaerobic and aerobic bacteria I found two products that to me are very similar: Seachem matrix and Seachem de*nitrate (http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...es/Matrix.html - http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...denitrate.html ).

Reading the profile of both products I noted tiny differences ( natural vs sinthetic, and the media size)...but in true it seems to me that they are exactly equals! Same benefits, same function, same way to use...and same kg/gal too!!!!

So here is my question: There is some difference that my stupid brain can´t find ???? If has...what is the better option for colonizing media????

Thank you all

D.

Stuginski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2010, 04:46 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I can't tell much from the descriptions, either. De*Nitrate claims to have some ability to bind nitrate, which likely isn't important. They both will function as artificial live rock, so the only question is which one has the correct porosity, etc. I have no way of knowing which might be more effective. They might be about the same, in the long run.

Unread 07/30/2010, 01:36 PM   #3
Stuginski
Registered Member

Thank you for your opinion Jonathan!!!

You, Tom and Cliff are always helping me with my doubts!!!!

Let´s wait another opinions about this...

maybe from someone that used one of this products.

Best Regards

D.

Unread 07/30/2010, 02:40 PM   #4
gablett
Registered Member

I used denitrate. I still have a ton of it. Didnt do a thing for my tank. Vodka dosing for 3 months got my nitrates from 30+ down to 2 as of today.

gablett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2010, 03:21 PM   #5
builderguy
Registered Member

I use deNitrate with fairly good results, but planning on switching to BioPellets to get better.

Also, I just start using SeaGel which is their carbon/phosphate removal combo...knock my phospates to zero in just a few days...very impressed.

builderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Stuginski
Registered Member

hummm..intersting...two pretty different results..with the same midia

I´m thinking to use matrix or de*nitrate together with vodca and bacteria (Mb7 or Stability)...so the midia is just for host my bacteria, cause my rocks are not so porous and I will go with a barebottom reef.

I´m really confused...to choose the best method for denitrification and phosphate reduction in my new reef.
Probably I will opened another thread to discuss the possibilities...but for now I just wanna know the real difference between this two seachen products...and which will be most effective to provide good area for the bac´s.

thks guys!

D.

Unread 07/31/2010, 08:37 AM   #7
RegalAngel
Registered Member

You can ask Seachem here:

http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...isplay.php?f=7

RegalAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2010, 12:58 PM   #8
thebanker
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuginski View Post
hummm..intersting...two pretty different results..with the same midia

I´m thinking to use matrix or de*nitrate together with vodca and bacteria (Mb7 or Stability)...so the midia is just for host my bacteria, cause my rocks are not so porous and I will go with a barebottom reef.

I´m really confused...to choose the best method for denitrification and phosphate reduction in my new reef.
Probably I will opened another thread to discuss the possibilities...but for now I just wanna know the real difference between this two seachen products...and which will be most effective to provide good area for the bac´s.

thks guys!

D.
I think dosing MB7, vodka, and using either de*nitrate or matrix will work well, provided you make sure loose detritus and waste particles are filtered out before they reach the media. I think that would help it stay more biologically balanced, and not become a haven for only nitrifying bacteria.

thebanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Stuginski
Registered Member

Thanks Regal...thanks thebanker!!!!!

I will contact Seachem to clarify about the big difference between these two media...and ..which of these would help me more in my case!!!

Thanks for everyone!!!!

Sorry for my terrible english

D.

Unread 08/03/2010, 12:58 PM   #10
bidny
Registered Member

You are correct that these are two similar products. Their big difference is the size of the media, which dictates the required flow for denitrification.

Since de*nitrate is smaller, it requires a very slow flow to maintain an anaerobic environment. A heavy flow would turn de*nitrate into a nitrification-only system, like bio-balls.

Matrix, on the other hand, is large enough to have both a nitrification area on the surface and a denitrification area in the interior. This is similar to how live rock works. The flow for Matrix can be much higher, since the interior of the media will still be anaerobic.

I don't remember the recommended flow rates. However, I'm sure you can get them from Seachem's site.

Use your reef to educate others on the fragility of the world's oceans. By saving the oceans, we can save the planet.

Current Tank Info: 90g Oceanic Tech Tank, 2x Ecotech Vortech MP40wES, Reef Octopus Extreme 160, 2x Deluxe BRS Reactor, 2x Laguna Max-Flo 900, 2x 250w Eheim Jager Heater, 29g Sump/Refugium, 2x Ecotech Radion XR30w Pro G3, Reef Angel Plus Controller
bidny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2010, 01:35 PM   #11
troyman
Registered Member

seachem makes very good products we all get differnt results from usung the same products i am a believer in phosoguard never a algae problem some dont like it i dont like gfo to each there own i guess

troyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2010, 01:47 PM   #12
thebanker
Moved On

Seachem makes great products. I tried to do some research on matrix, and I can't find anyone who has used it and has rave reviews. If you have a system that is light in live rock, it makes sense as an alternative or to place in a canister. I think eheim substrat is a similar product with a longer history of being used in the hobby.

I was thinking about this and it's possible that de*nitrate may work best in a coil denitrator, refugium, or similar low-flow situation. Maybe even under the sandbed as an induced plenum.

Unread 08/03/2010, 02:29 PM   #13
bertoni
RC Mod

SeaChem makes a range of products. Some of them are great, and some are worth avoiding. I wouldn't use their magnesium supplement, since it's basically just epsom salts, and their calcium polygluconate product has some issues. I like the Matrix Carbon a lot, though, and Cupramine is excellent, from what I've been told.

Unread 08/03/2010, 02:37 PM   #14
thebanker
Moved On

I've had an issue with Phosguard. Made my soft corals "cringe" after running it for a week. RHF said it had to do with the aluminum content in phosguard.

I love Seachem Reef Fusion 2-part. It's worked great for me.

Jon what is the deal w/ matrix carbon?

Unread 08/03/2010, 03:17 PM   #15
bertoni
RC Mod

The Matrix Carbon probably isn't as good as some of the other sources, but it does do well in some tests, and it's been fairly dust-free for me. I guess I'd get another carbon from other sources at this point, for cost reduction and equal, if not better, quality.

Unread 08/03/2010, 03:53 PM   #16
thebanker
Moved On

Ok good to know. I'm going to stick with my Marineland black diamond, it's fairly effective from a cost standpoint and easy to obtain.

Unread 08/03/2010, 04:09 PM   #17
nuccadoc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
Ok good to know. I'm going to stick with my Marineland black diamond, it's fairly effective from a cost standpoint and easy to obtain.
I would ask Boomer about this, but I remember him saying that this brand of carbon is not recommended because it is not acid-washed. Seachem is highly recommended however it is more expensive and there is very little dust.

The proper use of De-Nitrate is to put it in a chamber (I made one out of PVC), put a gate valve on the input side and measure the output so it is not more than 50 gal/hr. THe product does not become exhausted and basically functions as live rock.

Scott

nuccadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2010, 04:14 PM   #18
thebanker
Moved On

I saw a scattergram that showed the efficiency of activated carbon brands with respect to cost on the y axis and efficacy on the x axis. Black diamond was up there. I did read something about it not being acid washed, but what is the problem w/ that exactly? There is more dust?

Cool, you're the first I've heard to mention positive results with de*nitrate! Thanks for sharing. Do you have any pictures or diagrams?

Unread 08/03/2010, 04:22 PM   #19
nuccadoc
Registered Member

Here's the link for the Carbon discussion....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...=boomer+carbon

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the chambers.

Scott

nuccadoc is offline   Reply With Quote