Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/12/2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Donwjr
Registered Member

ro/di water filter

Hello to All, I have been out of the hobby for a while now. I am looking to get back into reefing, yahoo... While I am at it, I want a very good whole house filter setup too. I have a well supply for the house. My well pump cycles between 50 and 80 psi. Not sure if I require a booster pump? I want a very good house and reef filtered water supply. I have looked at some systems for just the house with large storage tanks that cost "alot" of money. I am willing to spend around $500. Any suppliers people trust 1st hand?

Thanks,
Don

Donwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2010, 09:40 AM   #2
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Don,

To Reef Central

For your reef tank, I would use a rodi system. For your house water it will depend on the results of a good quality water test report. Whats in your well water will determine if you need to add further filtration other then a sediment filter to prevent appliances from clogging.

Well water can vary considerably as can tap water, with the basic difference being well water may not have chlorine or chloramines added as in municipal water supplies. Also your water pipes can be a concern after whole house filtration. In older homes with copper pipes and lead solder, this can be a concern especially with young children. Filtrating at the tap would be appropriate in this situation.

Randy's articles go into further details:

Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Systems to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.htm

Tap Water in Reef Aquaria
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2010, 04:40 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

RO/DI for the household might be very expensive. I don't have any experience with that sort of unit, but a smaller setup for the tank should be a lot less. You could contact some of the vendors here on RC. I think some of them have experience with larger setups, and could help you more.

The pressure range you mentioned is fine for the typical aquarium filter.