Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 09/26/2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Peter T
Gallantly Forward

Elysia Crispata feeding

Hello all. I am currently thinking about getting a lettuce sea slug in my 8 gallon reef / mantis tank for display purposes (not algae control). Has anyone that has kept them had them feeding off caulerpa racemosa or halimeda? I read on a sea slug forum that this particular species does feed off of those two macros in captive experiments as well as green hair algae. I'd rather not have hair algae all over my tank

Thank you in advance for any input.

Peter T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2010, 02:54 PM   #2
BEASTIEPENDENT
Registered Member

Hi Peter,

hm, an Elysia for displaying purposes? Does it get that big? Oh, no I see, this species is bigger than E. viridis which we found at Brittany (4 mm). Okay, http://www.meerwasser-lexikon.de/tie...a_crispata.htm (engl. version, but content still German: http://www.reeflex.net/tiere/739_Elysia_crispata.htm ) says they feed on Halimeda, Penicillus sp., Ventricaria ventricosa and Udotea, also on Bryopsis. Have You read here? http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=elyscris

Current Tank Info: some 30 tanks with crabs, crayfish, shrimp, mussels & snails, dragons and snakes
BEASTIEPENDENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/26/2010, 05:42 PM   #3
Peter T
Gallantly Forward

Hello Ollie,

Wow, the viridis is very small! I couldn't read the content to well on the first two links (not at all in the German parts!) but the last link you sent me I have read. It also states on that site that they will eat various caulerpa sp. and chaeto as they mature. http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/17626. But just because one site states that they do doesn't always mean it is 100% infallible (emerald crabs ABSOLUTELY reef safe right?) so I was/am looking for other success or lack of success stories with crispata. They are an attractive critter, but I'd rather not have them starve under my care.

Thanks for the links and the response

Old 09/26/2010, 05:44 PM   #4
Peter T
Gallantly Forward

But if anything I guess I can always resort to growing hair algae on rocks in a separate tank and switch out rocks. Only thing is I'd pull my hair out if the algae starts running rampant in my DT

Old 09/27/2010, 04:28 AM   #5
BEASTIEPENDENT
Registered Member

Peter, this is correct, of course it is always better to have several statements – and "absoluteley reef safe" does not really exist. You just don't get 100 percent safety with things like these.

Great that You look out BEFORE You get some exotic animals that they don't die on You. But I myself have no experience with such sea slugs.

Current Tank Info: some 30 tanks with crabs, crayfish, shrimp, mussels & snails, dragons and snakes
BEASTIEPENDENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Elysia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T View Post
Hello Ollie,
but the last link you sent me I have read. It also states on that site that they will eat various caulerpa sp. and chaeto as they mature. http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/17626. But just because one site states that they do doesn't always mean it is 100% infallible
If you read all of the forum info on these slugs, you will note that very few people have studies these animals enough to confirm that they are actually ingesting the algae that people report seeing them on. However, what amounts to "stomach content" studies have been done, and them don't include Calupera in their diet (or that algae's chloroplasts.) Go with the species of algae that are truly known to be eaten by the animal, rather than one person's "observations."

Elysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Peter T
Gallantly Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
If you read all of the forum info on these slugs, you will note that very few people have studies these animals enough to confirm that they are actually ingesting the algae that people report seeing them on. However, what amounts to "stomach content" studies have been done, and them don't include Calupera in their diet (or that algae's chloroplasts.) Go with the species of algae that are truly known to be eaten by the animal, rather than one person's "observations."
Thanks for the response. This is the reason why I am asking on this site; to see if anyone else has had success with caulerpa or other algae rather than bryopsis. I will not get these guys if I have to add any type of hair algae in my tank.

They are interesting animals, but not interesting enough for me to risk a hair algae outbreak.