Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/09/2010, 08:08 PM   #1
2 TAZ
Registered Member

my ORP is 920

I have been monitering my orp for about 2 years now, I have never seen it reach 400 until a few days ago. I upgraded from a neptune aqua controller III to an Apex. When I changed to the Aex the orp probe was reading the same as it was with the old controller, 350. It stayed there for a couple of days, give or take maybee 30. Then it started consitantly rising. I have the Apex controlling an ozinizer. When it reached 450 I disconected the ozinizer just to make sure. 3 days later my orp is at 920. I checked the probe with a new packet of calibration solution. The solution was 400, the probe read 398.
I started using brightwell aquatics salt just before the orp started rising. I used to use cheaper salt mixes. I checked the orp of the newly made salt mix after a day or so of mixing, it read 328. I also changed my carbon just before the orp started rising. The sarbon was a new container of Bulkreefsupply ROX carbon. I have been using this carbon for a couple of years now, the same amount, changed about once every month.
Any ideas???
Thanks

2 TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2010, 08:09 PM   #2
2 TAZ
Registered Member

Oh yeah, all coral and fish look fine.
Thanks

Unread 12/09/2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

Probe bad or the probe has algae on it which raises the ORP. No such thing as 920 mV as all would be dead Sounds more like a probe issue, wires bad, connection, stray voltage leak, etc..

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2010, 06:43 AM   #4
UVvis
Registered Member

Exactly what boomer said.

Plus, check the probe and how it mounted. Some have gel salt bridges and are sensitive to mounting angles. A slow constant change can sometimes be the salt bridge failing.

UVvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2010, 05:16 PM   #5
2 TAZ
Registered Member

Thanks, I am having some other problems with the new Apex, I am going to send it back to Neptune Monday for them to fix it.
What had me curious is when I put the probe in the calibration solution it read 398, the solution was 400. Also when I tested newly made salt water it read 328, which seemed logical. I don't know why I am only getting faulty readings with my aquarium water...