Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/01/2011, 09:56 PM   #1
GoPhish
Registered Member

Natural vs Gadgety

Is there any one out there that has an awesome looking tank with fish n corals that has a more natural simplified approach and doesn't have thousands of dollars in gadgets

GoPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

What do you mean by gadgets? I think the answers is yes. But you have to have good lighting, skimming and water circulation. And the same things have to be tended to. I don't have a pH meter, but I have a pH test kit. I'd rather have the monitor.

To drip kalk I used one of these:

Instead of one of these:

Is that what you mean?

And even though i have one of these:

I prefer to use one of these which is just as good once calibrated and if kept clean properly:

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Angel*Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2011, 11:28 PM   #3
cloak
Moved On

I've broken a lot of those "said" rules...

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2011, 11:44 PM   #4
SushiGirl
Premium Member

There's an LFS here that has a big tank that is all natural. No skimmer, no filtration other than a DSB & live rock and some powerheads. It's a great tank & has been running for years.

SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2011, 12:09 AM   #5
nata
Registered Member

I know sb who has a beautiful skimmerless tank ..it works ...

Old 01/02/2011, 12:11 AM   #6
GoPhish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiGirl View Post
There's an LFS here that has a big tank that is all natural. No skimmer, no filtration other than a DSB & live rock and some powerheads. It's a great tank & has been running for years.
Any photos. I'd love to see it

GoPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2011, 05:08 AM   #7
Mr.Maska
Registered Member

i go simple. i stick my finger in the water and let the water drop onto me refractometer, instead of using the water dropper all seriousness, gadgets are good some you need, some you want. get the ones you need and go from there.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon 72x25x30, hamilton belize sun fixture 3x400 watt mh, 2 t5's 80watts.reefbrite all blue48" supplement light, octo extreme250 skimmer, 80 gal sump/40gal refug 40 gal bow front hospital tank
Mr.Maska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2011, 06:57 AM   #8
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

You can go with a low tech tank. You end up either doing more water changes or limiting the livestock in the tank.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2011, 07:02 AM   #9
saltburns
Registered Member

I run an turf algae scrubber in mine and it works great.

saltburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

I agree with frogman. A large amount of manual water changes can replace all the fancy equipment but I don't have that time to always change water and rely heavily on my equipment especially when I'm gone on business trips

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2011, 08:34 AM   #11
S13<3
KeepItSuperSimple

i have a 20l, it lives on a hob filter with a sponge and carbon bag, a koralia 750 and thats it, i rely on my rocks and sand to do the rest its been up for at least a yr and a half and went from 5gal wc a week to 2.5gal wc a week, i only dose b-ionic on a regular and leave everything else natural

S13<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2011, 08:42 AM   #12
Paul B
Premium Member

I have no sump, no reactors, no refractometer and no UV sterilizer. I do have a Reverse UG filter, home made lights and skimmer along with a DIY algae trough. I also have an ozonizer, I built the first one but this one is a commercial model given to me by a member here.
The gravel is dolomite and a lot of the rocks are homemade, some of the water is from the Long Island Sound and thats the water the tank was started with.
I change about 20% of the water 5 or 6 times a year.
The oldest fish now is 16. There was one 18 but I killed it in an accident.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2011, 11:00 AM   #13
newtank
Registered Member

Absolutely you can have a decent tank without a lot of technology, my 265 has ran so far for 6 months no skimmer. no controller, I have my lights on timers but that's about it, the ATO is a $10 float valve attached to a gravity fed reservoir, and flow is provided by one dart. I think that I have been successful due to

Large tank volume >300G= more stability

>300 pounds of live rock, I see thousands of bubbles of nitrogen gas on the surface of the rocks=bacteria doing their job.

frequently changed filter socks= tons of organics removed from the water column

Bare bottom= much cleaner tank

Pendcutors= clean bare bottom

easy to care for corals

I only change about 20g once a month when siphoning the bottom glass.

check out some vids

3 days old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8NQ3...eature=related

6 months old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmkOPGXyQLo.

Current Tank Info: Newest new tank- 300G DEEP
newtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2011, 11:30 AM   #14
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhish View Post
Any photos. I'd love to see it
They have a picture on their site, but there's no way to link to it as it's in a flash slideshow. There's a thread on our local forum about it with pics, don't know if I'd get in trouble for linking to it here though.

SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote