Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2011, 11:49 PM   #1
Megatrev62
Registered Member

bangai cardinal sexing

Hi, looking at getting one of theses but would love to get a pair. Does anyone know how to sex them? Thanks

Megatrev62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Wolverine
RC Mod

Someone will probably post about differences in jaw sizes and length of the second dorsal fin, which were born out of Frank Marini's early paper, and those will give you an approximately 50:50 chance of getting a pair.
The only truly reliable way is to see the male carrying eggs. A second chance is if you go to a store that has a big group of them; with careful observation, you can usually find a few sets of 2 that hang out much closer together than the rest of the group.

Current Tank Info: 14g, 29g nano reefs
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Megatrev62
Registered Member

Ok will try to look for that. There is a tank now with about a dozen in it.

Unread 02/27/2011, 01:57 PM   #4
IFbettas
Registered Member

I agree with Wolverine. Look for pairs that are sticking together out of a big group. Usually the pairs will chase the other banggais that get too close to them.

Unread 02/27/2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Megatrev62
Registered Member

Thanks, reminds me of my freshwater angel days. Thanks will give that a go but won't be easy I'm sure. Store owner mentioned yesterday about the dorsal and jaw diff. and apparently he's had some success picking them out. They all look the same to me.

Unread 02/27/2011, 05:19 PM   #6
IFbettas
Registered Member

There are subtle differences in the jaws of males and females, but usually the banggais that you find at a store are too young to tell. I can easily tell the difference between my male and female based on body shape and jaw structure, but this only become apparent once they grew to full size and started breeding.

Unread 02/27/2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Wolverine
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFbettas View Post
There are subtle differences in the jaws of males and females, but usually the banggais that you find at a store are too young to tell. I can easily tell the difference between my male and female based on body shape and jaw structure, but this only become apparent once they grew to full size and started breeding.
In two of the breeding pairs I've had, the male had a narrower jaw than the female, in one case even after several years of breeding.

Current Tank Info: 14g, 29g nano reefs
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 07:09 PM   #8
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

I got lucky with mine,didn't know what I had,then 1 year later I bought another and it was a male.I have had them for 2 years now and several batches later and I still cannot see a differance.The only way I can tell is my male is alittle smaller.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote