Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2011, 12:17 AM   #1
jamest0o0
Registered Member

smallest tank?

What is the smallest ceph (octo or cuttle) and what size tank would one need?

(No I'm not planning on putting a ceph in my 8g, just curious because I have a little room for another tank and I'm thinking of setting up another one lol what an addiction)

Unread 03/11/2011, 11:56 PM   #2
Lmecher
Registered Member

The dwarfs can be kept in a 20 gallon. they are one species that can be kept in multiples. It depends on what our expectations are. They are very nocturnal and will only emerge in complete darkness. Octopuses cannot see red light. A common practice is to put a red light on the tank. You can leave it on 24/7 or have it come on when tank light turns off. You will never see them otherwise. I personally prefer the larger species. When I kept dwarfs, all I ever saw was an occasional arm grab food. Good luck, hope it works out for you.
Welcome to the world of MTS.

Lmecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

There is not just one species of dwarf octopus and they differ with respect to behavior and tank requirements. The most common dwarf species available right now are O. mercatoris from Florida and O. bocki from Indonesia. Both can be kept in a 10 gal system, but they are nocturnal and quite frankly not very interesting behaviorally. Diurnal species include O. chierchiae (zebra from the Pacific coast of Central America0, Hapalochlaena lunulata (blue-ringed from Indonesia) and Abdopus abaculas (shallow water Indonesian species).

Roy

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote