Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Gahngoo
Registered Member

Why do we use blue lights for "moonlights"?

I'm currently building a DIY LED fixture to replace my T5 fixture. My other fixture has moonlights. I thought I might put some on the LED fixture too.

Then I got to thinking, why are all the moonlights blue? I mean, the moon isn't blue. It's got kind of a grey hue to it. I was thinking about using white LEDs that have been sprayed with a dark tinted paint (to give a dim greyish light) or some other sort of muted pale light.

Any opinions or suggestions?

Current Tank Info: 180g, 156 Cree XP LEDs, 8" pink maxima and 6" blue maxima clams, softies, LPS, SPS, lot-O-critters ----- 10g nano with 24 XR Cree LEDs with several LPS, yellow watchman goby and a fat target mandarin dragonette
Gahngoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2011, 01:58 AM   #2
Blown 346
Registered Member

Blue moonlights give off a similar effect in the ocean at night. Some say they have a benefit for corals. They are mainly used for viewing pleasure for you at night.

Blown 346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2011, 04:47 AM   #3
snorvich
Team RC member

When diving at night the effect of the moon is blueish. I only run my moonlights until 10 PM

Unread 04/18/2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Gold Stripe
Registered Member

My understanding is that the blue light travels deeper into the water than other spectrums. Since our tank is only 2 feet deep and the ocean is, well, deeper, we give the light a little help by going ahead and using blue light since there isnt enough water in our tank to filter out the other spectrums.

We use whiter light during the day because the sun is quite a bit brighter than the moon so its light travels deeper before it is filtered to blue.

Unread 04/18/2011, 01:38 PM   #5
kjreiner72
Registered Member

Very interesting. I thought about the blue to. But the corals look so good under them I never gave it a second thought.

Unread 04/18/2011, 02:50 PM   #6
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjreiner72 View Post
Very interesting. I thought about the blue to. But the corals look so good under them I never gave it a second thought.
I think some folks use royal blue which has an even more interesting look. But for that you need LED of that coloration.

Unread 04/18/2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Gahngoo
Registered Member

I have used royal blue LEDs too, but I was just wondering what the thought process was. I know about blue spectrum at depth, but I just figured that the moon is so dim, that it would not make it to any depth anyway. Just a thought. Thanks for the replies.

Current Tank Info: 180g, 156 Cree XP LEDs, 8" pink maxima and 6" blue maxima clams, softies, LPS, SPS, lot-O-critters ----- 10g nano with 24 XR Cree LEDs with several LPS, yellow watchman goby and a fat target mandarin dragonette
Gahngoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2011, 11:01 AM   #8
docstomper
Registered Member

I usually stand in front of my tank in my Three Wolf Moon T-shirt. My MH's reflect off the moon and My corals start really get good extension...

Lol, I couldnt help it.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef. 48" 8 bulb t5, dolphin amp master return,
docstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Bad LS1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docstomper View Post
I usually stand in front of my tank in my Three Wolf Moon T-shirt. My MH's reflect off the moon and My corals start really get good extension...

Lol, I couldnt help it.
There has to be a "once in a blue moon" joke in here somewhere.

Bad LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote