Reef Central Online Community
Tampa Bay Saltwater

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/08/2011, 07:51 PM   #1
conk12301
Registered Member

Too much calcium?

Is there such thing as too much calcium in a marine/reef tank?

I bought some Kent Purple Tech to try to boost the corraline growth in my 36 gallon tank. It contains some calcium.

I dosed with Purple Tech for the first time this morning, and, when I went to test my calcium, it was off the charts, literally. I have the API test kit that tells you to continue adding drops until the solution turns blue. The chart in the booklet went up to 26 drops (which was an indicator for 520 ppm). When I got to 26, the solution was still a little purple as opposed to blue, so it looks like my calcium is at 520 ppm or even a bit higher.

I don't have any corals in the tank yet, but is this much calcium bad? Is it livable for corals and other inverts?

Also, should I continue dosing with Purple Tech as the directions indicate?

conk12301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/08/2011, 08:41 PM   #2
RaeRae
Registered Member

You will be fine. I will let an expert on chemistry explaine. But you should start to see coralin grow on you glass weekly. I run my sps tank run that high all the time.

RaeRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2011, 02:16 AM   #3
divewsharks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conk12301 View Post
Is there such thing as too much calcium in a marine/reef tank?

I bought some Kent Purple Tech to try to boost the corraline growth in my 36 gallon tank. It contains some calcium.

I dosed with Purple Tech for the first time this morning, and, when I went to test my calcium, it was off the charts, literally. I have the API test kit that tells you to continue adding drops until the solution turns blue. The chart in the booklet went up to 26 drops (which was an indicator for 520 ppm). When I got to 26, the solution was still a little purple as opposed to blue, so it looks like my calcium is at 520 ppm or even a bit higher.

I don't have any corals in the tank yet, but is this much calcium bad? Is it livable for corals and other inverts?

Also, should I continue dosing with Purple Tech as the directions indicate?
If you are planning to keep corals, especially SPS or LPS, then this might be a good read for you.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-0...ture/index.php

if you calcium is really that high, i would not add any more.

divewsharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2011, 07:14 AM   #4
thegrun
Registered Member

The biggest drawback to high calcium is the build-up of deposits on your pump shafts and other equipment. How soon after dosing did you test the water? You should wait at least 4 hours after a water change or adding chemicals to test.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

You are not too high. I think most keep it at 420-450 so you are only 70 over. Just make sure you Mag. is in line because if not them you will get the precipitation on pumps that thegrun talked about.

What was it before you dosed and where is your Alk/dhK?

If you do not test for it, DON'T dose it.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Sport507 is offline   Reply With Quote