Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Nashville Area Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Pickupman66
Registered Member

hydrogen peroxide for fish disease treatment

Boy this was interesting.....

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewto...?f=97&t=212442

Use of Hydrogen Peroxide as a disinfectant treatment in the control of external parasites such as A.ocellatum, C.irritans and Brooklynella.

Applications:

1. 50-75ppm Bath for 30mins. Used as a disinfectant for newly acquired fish before adding to QT and DT.

2. 50-75ppm Bath for 30mins as a treatment for fish suffering from an infectious parasitic outbreak. Does not prevent recurrent outbreaks of A.ocellatum or C.irritans in an infected system, only provides temporary relief if returned to an infected system. Treated fish should be removed from the system and the infected system left fishless for a period no shorter than 28days in order to break the life cycle.

3. 50-75ppm Bath for 30mins every 3 days for a period no shorter than 28days. Used as a means of breaking the life cycle of parasitic protozoans such as A.ocellatum and C.irritans within an infected system whilst fish remain in the system. All fish within the system must be treated, regardless of whether an infection appears to be present.

Preparing a Hydrogen Peroxide Bath:

To achieve a 50ppm solution.
2 L of Water in a glass or stainless steel tank/container.
Add 3.4ml of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
Add fish and maintain for 30mins
Do not aerate the water during treatment.
Return fish to QT or DT immediately as applicable.

To achieve a 75ppm solution.
2 L of Water in a glass or stainless steel tank/container.
Add 5ml of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
Add fish and maintain for 30mins
Do not aerate the water during treatment.
Return fish to QT or DT immediately as applicable.

Please note, I've erred on the side of caution in my dosages preferring to use 50ppm/30mins as a general rule, many studies have shown longer and higher dosage rates are in common use and are effective. As this is relatively new in the aquarium industry and the effects on common aquarium species is unknown I have kept my dosages low. I initially trialled dosages of 75ppm which on it's first application on a severely infected fish seemed to cause some minor irritation, i interpreted this to be as a result of the density of open wounds exposed to the solution, on subsequent follow up treatments the fish did not show the same reaction.

Further potential applications lay in the control of Fungal outbreaks and external viral infections.

Treatment is applicable to both Freshwater and Saltwater pathogens.

Hydrogen Peroxide is an antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral and as such is NOT REEF SAFE. Treatments should be conducted in isolated baths.
It will kill algae, including coralline algae.

Hydrogen Peroxide is a caustic solution, it acts by oxidising cell walls, it is non toxic and completely breaks down to oxygen and water.

Evidence suggests that Hydrogen Peroxide aids in the the bodies natural immune system responses by signaling the convergence of white bloods cells resulting in a quicker healing process.

Hydrogen Peroxides oxidising reactions increase with temperature, higher temperatures require lower dosage rates, the above dosages were applied at 27C.

Links for further reading.

Research on the application of H2O2

Treatment of Catfish Eggs with Hydrogen Peroxide

Various Dosage Rates

Info on C.irritans and A.ocellatum Hydrogen Peroxide treatments

This is a relatively new treatment in the aquarium industry, however it is widely used in aquaculture especially in fish hatcheries where it is used in controlling pathogens on fish eggs, caution and user discretion is advised.

Make your own decisions on the suitability and application of this treatment, if you feel you cannot apply this with confidence you should seek more mainstream treatments as found on Reefpedia

Here is a good reefkeeping article. read the section on Hydrogen Peroxide
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

15 years reef keeping experience in old school simplistic ways.
/><{{{{"> Archon BETA

Current Tank Info: 66 Gallon SCA Rimless, Custom 40 Breeder sump, DC pumps, Lumentek Pro 240 controlled by my Archon

Last edited by Pickupman66; 05/09/2011 at 09:51 AM.
Pickupman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2011, 03:30 PM   #2
nightfire
Registered Member

i'll let ya guys try this one out first and see how it actually affects the fish lol

Unread 05/09/2011, 05:47 PM   #3
rcmike
Registered Member

I think some pond people use it for controlling algae. I have read of using potassium permanganate and other things as well. It shouldn't be harmful if the dose is right. I probably wouldn't try it though unless it was a severe case and for a last resort.

Current Tank Info: 110 oceanic, 2 Radion Pros, 2 MP40s, Apex controller
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2011, 09:23 PM   #4
poolkeeper1
Moved On

I think i read an article about using HP for treating Red Slime bacteria somewhere recently Too. It is an Oxidizer and may have many good uses in our hobby if used correctly.
Bill

poolkeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Pickupman66
Registered Member

Interesting...

Mike, love the new avatar...

15 years reef keeping experience in old school simplistic ways.
/><{{{{"> Archon BETA

Current Tank Info: 66 Gallon SCA Rimless, Custom 40 Breeder sump, DC pumps, Lumentek Pro 240 controlled by my Archon
Pickupman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Jennifier615
Registered Member

I wonder if the oxidizing quality of the peroxide is what cures the fish or the fact that as it breaks up you are bathing your fish in an acid bath, cause as the molecules break apart it is acclimating the fish to a lower and lower pH since the hydrogen atoms are increasing in abundance and oxygen is being given off in the reaction.........huh just a thought. I also understand that it is a very small concentration by volume.......I guess if you can clean aquarium stuff with acid mixtures why you couldn't your fish too.

Please excuse my mad typing skills while using my ANDROID tapatalk peeps!

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Starphire 135 gallon, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Blue Line Aquatics T3 Velocity pump, MP40w, Softie/LPS Dominated Mixed Reef Tank (Limited SPS), and Current Outer Orbit 72" 150W(x3) Power Compact 10,000K day 420/460 Actinics
Jennifier615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2014, 10:35 AM   #7
KnownStrangeR
Registered Member

bump to an old thread. I'm trying this method currently to treat brook. will keep everyone updated. if you've tried it let me know. so far i have one bath down and clowns look the same

KnownStrangeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2016, 06:08 PM   #8
scottdogz
Registered Member

How I found this blog

The other day one of my cichlids had an anchor worm on its side. I didn't want to chemically treat the freshwater tank so I thought I'd take a chance and try an experiment. With a small cup of hydrogen peroxide, Q-tip, and tv tray covered with a towel (operating table) at the ready I netted the cichlid. Laying it on its side still in the net I dabbed the anchor worm 3 times with the hydrogen soaked Q-tip. It worked! Its been about 3 days now and the cichlid is healed up.
This morning I googled hydrogen peroxide tropical fish treatment and saw this subject on your blog.

scottdogz is offline   Reply With Quote