Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Quintino
Registered Member

Pericelis sp nasty slug GET OUT!!

Hello everyone.

After adding several Turbos and Cerithiums to my aquarium for two times and found them all dead, just empty shells after a few months, I found and get rid of two Pericelis sp slugs. You can see one of the two slugs I caught here.

This slug also explain how my two tridacna clams died.

Because I don't know how many of this slugs I have in my tank, and because I want to add more cleaning crew and more tridacna clams to my tank, I'm asking someone who could tell me what should I do to make sure my tank is free of this nasty slug.

If I don't get any more clams into my tank, does this slugs die of starvation after a few months, or do they feed on something else?

Should I try Flatworm Exit from Salifert in my tank? Does this make any damage to any shrimps, corals or fishes?

I hope someone could help me out.

Thank you all.

Best regards,

André Quintino
Portugal

Quintino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2011, 05:21 PM   #2
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

How did you find and remove the other two? I think your best bet would be to bait a trap with some snails and check on it periodically throughout the night.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Brwestern
Registered Member

I saw a small one in my tank the other night...almost got it out, but it got under rock just in time....

Unread 05/19/2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Quintino
Registered Member

LobsterOfJustice, I normally check my tank throughout the night, and for two times I saw two of this slugs.

The first I saw, it was attacking a Turbo, so I simply picked up the rock out and flushed the slug.

The second one was on the sand passing from a rock to another and I get it with a tong. Once again, flush time.

Recently I saw another, a very small one but I couldn't get it out. I will try scratch the rocks beyond with a screw driver or something just to find out if there are any left slugs.

A problem is to know if there are any slug left within the tank or no.

I have one sixline about 2 months but it seems that it doesn't like slugs at all. Is there any fish that may eat those slugs? I also have a Stenopus hispidus...

Quintino is offline   Reply With Quote