Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/06/2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Peyton_Quilllen
Registered Member

Question Safe Paint for saltwater aquariums?

Can anyone please tell me if there is a safe paint out there that can be used to paint decor for my saltwater aquarium? I was planning to buy some fake coral ( like shown in the picture ) and painting them? But I dont know of any kind of paint that would be safe? So if you guys know I would really appreciate it!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC1-1-l.jpg (24.7 KB, 44 views)
Peyton_Quilllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2011, 01:39 PM   #2
hebygb
Registered Member

Safe is one thing, but your best choice (most durable, and safe), would be epoxy paint. You can get clear and use dyes to achieve the nuances of coloration. Epoxy paint, at least that which I am familiar with, is naturally translucent, you can use many thin coats to achieve the desired look and coloration.

hebygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Peyton_Quilllen
Registered Member

Thanks! Where could I find that at?

Old 06/06/2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Peyton_Quilllen
Registered Member

What about nontoxic acrylic paint or maybe even facepaint?

Old 06/06/2011, 03:26 PM   #5
SkullV
They Got My Number

Krylon Fusion is 100% Reef Safe. Let it cure for 7 days out of the water before putting it in the water.

SkullV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2011, 03:44 PM   #6
kissman
Registered Member

are you painting the glass? I used acrylic paint from Home Depot got a sample can for a few dollars and rolled it on the back. worked like a charm used colbot blue i believe it was

kissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/06/2011, 05:48 PM   #7
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissman View Post
are you painting the glass? I used acrylic paint from Home Depot got a sample can for a few dollars and rolled it on the back. worked like a charm used colbot blue i believe it was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton_Quilllen View Post
Can anyone please tell me if there is a safe paint out there that can be used to paint decor for my saltwater aquarium? I was planning to buy some fake coral ( like shown in the picture ) and painting them? But I dont know of any kind of paint that would be safe? So if you guys know I would really appreciate it!
^^^^

Old 06/07/2011, 11:30 AM   #8
hebygb
Registered Member

Krylon will work fine in many instances in and around our saltwater tanks, but does tend to flake off over time. Typically if you are OK with coraline covering the decorations I would say Krylon or nothing is fine, however I am under the impression that since you are painting coral you are interested in using color and maintaining that color... perhaps for a FO tank. You may even want to clean it from time to time... Epoxy paint is the best choice for those needs/wants.

hebygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2011, 12:14 PM   #9
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebygb View Post
Krylon will work fine in many instances in and around our saltwater tanks, but does tend to flake off over time. Typically if you are OK with coraline covering the decorations I would say Krylon or nothing is fine, however I am under the impression that since you are painting coral you are interested in using color and maintaining that color... perhaps for a FO tank. You may even want to clean it from time to time... Epoxy paint is the best choice for those needs/wants.
If you let the Krylon cure for a full 7 days out of water it will not flake.

Old 06/07/2011, 04:01 PM   #10
gar732
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebygb View Post
I wanted to do the same with a dead stag that I wanted to paint to use as hitching posts for seahorses. I though about using automotive paints and clear coat but I wasn't sure if it would be reef safe. Can you tell me a specific brand of epoxy paint to use?

gar732 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Micki
Premium Member

What kind of paint did anyone end up using?

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!

Current Tank Info: 125 gal. reef, 90 gal. sump, 10 gal. fuge, 40 gallon. 150 gallon fish only.
Micki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2011, 03:46 PM   #12
kissman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki View Post
What kind of paint did anyone end up using?

I used water based acrylic paint from Home Depot, rolled it on never had a problem

Old 11/07/2011, 04:09 PM   #13
Micki
Premium Member

Was this for the tank wall? I want to use some kind of paint for some aquarium decoration. Krylon infussion is only in spray paint that I am aware of an dthat's a little hard to work with when trying to paint a scene or something.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Current Tank Info: 125 gal. reef, 90 gal. sump, 10 gal. fuge, 40 gallon. 150 gallon fish only.
Old 11/07/2011, 04:16 PM   #14
kissman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki View Post
Was this for the tank wall? I want to use some kind of paint for some aquarium decoration. Krylon infussion is only in spray paint that I am aware of an dthat's a little hard to work with when trying to paint a scene or something.

Yes this was used on the back wall on the outside of the tank just a colbot blue.

Old 11/07/2011, 04:32 PM   #15
Micki
Premium Member

Ok thanks, I'm looking for someone that's used it inside their tank.

Western Ohio Reef Club