Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2011, 10:36 AM   #1
agreeive?fish
Registered Member

triggerfish recommendation

i am looking at adding a trigger to each of my fowlr tanks.

2 tanks are 6ft and one is 7ft. all tanks have or will have
large angel,
large puffer
wrasse
dwarf angels,
clownish pair
tang,
fox face/rabbit fish

please recommend a trigger that will be bold enough to be the tank newbie but not a light switch killer

base your recommendation based upon experience, color(s) and attitude, opinion don't base on price ,please indicate what you based your choice on

thanks

Last edited by agreeive?fish; 08/14/2011 at 10:41 AM.
agreeive?fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2011, 10:41 AM   #2
tozzi
Registered Member

Bluethroats, are great citizens. Tame enough for in my reef, but he showed my tang and angel who was boss when he had too

Current Tank Info: 215 sps
tozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2011, 11:59 AM   #3
aleonn
Registered Member

There's a possibility that any trigger fish may go after smaller fish, such as wrasse or small clownfish. If I didn't have any small fish, I'd keep a blue jaw trigger. They're pretty shy and will hold their own.

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2011, 12:27 PM   #4
MJB1224
Registered Member

I have had a clown, huma, blue throat, queen and now a crosshatch over the years. The clowns are great as far as looks and personality. The huma's usually turn pretty nasty as they get bigger and was worse than my clown was. Blue throat's are usually very shy with an exception here or there but are great with other fish. The queen is named that for a reason very mean but a great looking fish with streamers on her tail. I am enjoying the crosshatch the most out of all of them. She really likes attention and has a great personality and doesn't bother any of my smaller fish. She is the largest in the tank and I have shrimp and a full CUC which she doesn't bother. If you plan to keep a CUC then get the blue throat or the crosshatch, I have also heard guys have good luck with the Niger but I have never owned one.

Unread 08/14/2011, 01:00 PM   #5
agreeive?fish
Registered Member

CUC in my fowlr is all me doing manual labor, i save the live CUC budget for the reef

i should have mentioned the wrasses are or will be larger non invert/reef safe fowlr compatible only wrasses such as green bird and harlequin tusk

Unread 08/14/2011, 01:31 PM   #6
MJB1224
Registered Member

I have a tiny tailspot blenny 1 1/2" and my 6" crosshatch doesn't even look at it.

Which trigger's are you looking at getting then? I think any that are 3-4" are going to be fine if you add them last. I had my 6" clown in with a 8" panther grouper and he never bothered the grouper because the grouper was first. Now I tried adding a lion after I had the clown and that was a BIG mistake and it was my own fault that I didn't read up on it.

Unread 08/14/2011, 05:08 PM   #7
agreeive?fish
Registered Member

which ones, i don't know, the ones i like the most have reputations of not playing nice and have an eating/thriving regal angel, a scribbled angel( who may possibly be a young transitioning male?) a false personifer angel and seriously considering ordering a black long nose tang and will be re ordering a Aussie harlequin tusk because the one i got with my scribble and personifer angel didn't recover from the shipping stress so the ones with reputations of going crazy are out..

Unread 08/14/2011, 05:26 PM   #8
sporto0
Moved On

Niger Triggers are fairly tame & awesome looking as well, most triggers have good personalities, but they are all carnivorous so caution is always suggested.

sporto0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2011, 06:46 PM   #9
tozzi
Registered Member

Pink tails are good also, bit less shy than a niger in my experiences

Current Tank Info: 215 sps
tozzi is offline   Reply With Quote