Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2011, 09:39 AM   #1
inigomontoya
Registered Member

"Used" miracle mud? and how to best store

Ok, I have gone through a lot of the posts on miracle mud and it seems to boil down to a split opinion on whether it helps and only a couple who think it hurts. General concensus of not being worth the money- I ask because I picked up a new (to me) 240g this weekend that has been running miracle mud for 8 months in the fuge. I finally got it out last night (filled two salt buckets-big fuge) and put some fresh salt water in with it.
I am wondering 1) should I bother since it may be dying from the move and be hard to store in the next 4-6 weeks for the total tank transition; and 2) if so, how best to keep any good critters alive? With live sand I would put a powerhead and get some flow. The mud just doesn't have much movement- same storage thoughts?
Just don't want to cause any additional problems, like die off, to make the transition harder than it will already be. tossing it as flower bed fertilizer a serious consideration (might be like returning it home).
Thanks for thoughts.
BTW- not planning on going skimmerless or anything similar- will transition my warner bio-pellets in reactor plus dual carbon/gfo reactor and large skimmer. Also going to go for a macroalgae combo in fuge- and will alter bio pellets accordingly.

inigomontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Jamesurq
Moved On

Do you have a microscope? I'm going to guess that although there isn't much movement at a macroscopic level, it's likely to have a lot of movement microscopically.

storing it at a good temperature and doing some water changes (since it's likely that a bunch of detritus will spike the ammonia since it's been moved) for 4-6 weeks should be fine. I personally would do some ammonia and nitrite tests again when you transition it to the permanent fuge before putting it back online.

I don't use miracle mud, but I do like a very fine grain sand and think that having a large remote sandbed with a lot of life in it may be one of the reasons why my last setup had such ridiculous growth and the new setup does not.

Jamesurq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2011, 01:18 PM   #3
TexanReef
Registered Member

Storing mine in a bucket. I'll put fresh salt water in every few days and keep it cool in the house next to the tank.

Covered, of course! Stinky.

TexanReef is offline   Reply With Quote