Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/01/2012, 10:04 AM   #151
Bowels
Registered Member

Idk why i cant keep xenia anymore I think my water is too clean. Thanks for the comments guys

Bowels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2012, 11:02 AM   #152
eamike261
Registered Member

You killed Brian's xenia too? Haha that stuff is like a weed how can you kill it? =P

eamike261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2012, 10:56 PM   #153
Bowels
Registered Member

Its not dead yet... I had it in front of a powerhead basically and it is just really P*&&#@ off right now. I moved it to a spot with very little flow and it regained its blue color earlier this evening. It was almost all white. I think itll come back, like you said they are resilient.

Old 06/07/2012, 11:29 PM   #154
Veganbrian
Registered Member

Update!!

Veganbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2012, 08:57 AM   #155
Bowels
Registered Member

SO I will get some pictures up soon, but I got another powerhead, koralia 550 to mix up the water flow a bit, i felt the two powerheads I had werent doing a good enough job. I also broke down and bought myself a skimmer Octopus Nw110 (the new model) and it instantly started pulling alll sorts of gross stuff from the water, I am absolutely amazed that before I had this skimmer the tank was able to process out all this stuff, absolutely nasty gunk. I believe my tank will be way better off for it and I got 4 more snails.

Current Tank Info: 57g Rimless Reef
Old 06/14/2012, 10:47 PM   #156
alienz
Registered Member

Nice thread. Like how you dove right in and everything seems to be doing so well!

I think we've all overflowed our RO/DI buckets at some point. Glad there wasn't much damage!

alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 12:50 AM   #157
Veganbrian
Registered Member

Tank looks sick after you got your skimmer! gotta post pics soon!

Veganbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/15/2012, 09:40 AM   #158
Bowels
Registered Member

Alienz and Brian thanks! and thanks for checking out my thread Alienz I have a rule now the rodi can only be on if the bucket is in the sink lol no more disasters! and my skimmer def seems to be doing a lot of good.

Old 04/12/2013, 11:15 AM   #159
hecdr34
Registered Member

Update?

hecdr34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2013, 01:33 PM   #160
Bowels
Registered Member

sorry guys, havent updated in a while.... um ive had a lot of red slime the past few months (6) because i havent had the money to replace my lights, but i have had my water checked professionally as well as myself... and everything is aok there.... however... this weekend I decided to order new lights and do a 3 days lights out... all my corals and stuff were looking great aside from the red slime... so i started the lights out... day 2 of the lights out we had a thunderstorm while i was at work and it must have fried the heater... because i came home and my tank was 102 degrees. lost both clown fish, every snail in the tank (but a massive turbo snail) and I will report back on the coral losses... im giving them more time to see if they are ok or not.... devastating. The tank looks awful.... hence no pics... Ill post one but its soo terrible now. Im gonna get a controller.

Old 10/08/2013, 04:44 PM   #161
btmedic04
Registered Member

oh man I'm so sorry! I hope you can recover your setup!

btmedic04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2013, 12:38 AM   #162
Bowels
Registered Member

Thank you. Right now I'm getting ready for a big water change and sump cleaning, going to take this opportunity to tidy up the sump, and maybe rearrange my rocks. :-/ trouble is I have no idea where I am in a cycle, do I add a cleanup crew immediately or wait... the turbo snail is chuggin away like nothing ever happened, I've named him faux after Dumbledore's pheonix from Harry potter lol but he rose from the ashes. I can't lose him tho... he's my only hope

Old 10/11/2013, 10:47 PM   #163
Bowels
Registered Member

Just ordered an apex lite controller, and the jabeo wp25, I replaced all the hardware in my cabinet with stainless steel, and put two big fans on either side of my cabinet to circulate air, and I put a 5000k led bulb in the sump, I'm using the sump it tomorrow and totally redoing it so I have a huge refugium and I'm gonna grow mangroves...total tank over haul also replaced all the bulbs

Old 10/12/2013, 10:12 AM   #164
Bowels
Registered Member

Today Ill be going home, and taking the sump all apart This is the current sump config (I know it says rock rubble in the first chamber but its really just a bunch of big live rock.) Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ill be removing the first baffle in the first chamber so I can fit the skimmer in there, then ill be moving all the live rock into chamber number 2, this will be my fuge... still not sure if im gonna put kitty litter in there or not.... ill prob just leave it large live rock pieces. Im going to remove the bio-balls, my buddy uses them with success, but i dont want to have to clean them, and I dont want detritus traps. I bought a 5000k LED bulb I now have in the sump, the thing is gorgeous, Ill have that over all the chaeto algae.

I found an article that says that nitrifying bacteria dies at 120 degrees (http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html) so im hoping the temp didnt kill all my live rock.... it for sure killed most if not all of the critters, I have been unable to see ANY life in my tank since (which is awfully depressing) but sadly I think if this never happened I may have never bought a tank controller or reacted to make a bunch of positive changes, so my interest in the hobby is better for it I suppose .

I really would like to know how to properly seed my tank with life again, ive been trying to find a good article... do i get live rock with life in it and hope it doesnt bring any hitchhikers? I kind of want to take advantage of my tanks sterility... while I really enjoyed the diversity of the life that came on the live rock I got from gulf reef supply, I always knew there was stuff lurking in there that was prob adverse to my reefing goals, I know i had a form of a bobbit worm in there while i never saw any damage caused by him, who knows.... i had hydras, and some aptasia but they never really got out of control.

Mr Saltwater tank advises you use dead dry rock to start with to keep all those pests out. I suppose I should prob do that since, ya know god killed everything lol

Old 10/12/2013, 10:14 AM   #165
Bowels
Registered Member

Just for the captains log here is a picture of the barron tank, I have since done two water changes and a ton of work to it, so its not fully up to date this was the day after it happened, there were still a lot of corpses in there, that I was hopeful contained life still I gave them faith until they started to rot :-/ and I am sad to report the turbo snail that was alive a day after the heat wave (no pun intended waaa) has since succumb to his injuries and has passed away. Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 10/13/2013, 05:25 PM   #166
Bowels
Registered Member

I took the first baffle out of the sum so i could fit my skimmer, I cleaned the sump up a TON! Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also installed these two exaust fans that blow in on the right side and out the left so I have some thermal and evap exaust

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 10/13/2013, 05:29 PM   #167
Bowels
Registered Member

Here is a picture of the barren underwater wasteland... coraline algae looks to have survived, I added some nite out just to make sure my nitrifying bacteria populations are there, nitrates were high and I had .05 ammonia yesterday after stirring up all that crap in the sump and such.

Just as a life test (also was getting pretty depressed not having ANY life in the tank) so I bought this small rock that had bristle starfish and a bristle worm in it, I also got a little canister of pods, they are all swarming the tank

Also got this little rock that was covered in coralline algae just to make sure I have some in there growing. Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Cords all taken out of wire management awaiting my neptune lite controller coming on monday.

Old 10/13/2013, 05:33 PM   #168
Bowels
Registered Member

Toadstool not looking very happy at all
I tried to grab him because I thought he was dead, but he started spraying stuff out of his umm tip, so I let go he is clearly alive...just not happy.

Mr Gorgonian who has survived through thick and thin so far was breaking apart in the tank down to the bone so I plucked him off and gave him the royal flush very very sad to see him go.

All thats left are these very small very mad zoas who maybe will make it?

Also here is a picture of my new refugium (skimmer no longer in there) rock and its small but some cheato is in there, I got a nice 5000k LED bulb from home depot and that is on 24/7 currently, with the controller ill have it on at night only. Pods are swimming all around in there.

Old 10/15/2013, 08:43 AM   #169
Bowels
Registered Member

Replaced the Handles on the cabinet, I couldnt find ones with holes that matched the stock deep blue, but the screws on the inside were rusting away to nothing lol (sump ventilation should help with that) I love the new handles tho
Also spent like 4 hrs installing apex controller and wire managing everything
and moved the heater to a flow area in the sump... maybe ill get more of a uniform temp this way. apex thermomiter is reading 78.1 and tank display was reading 81... hmmm

Old 10/15/2013, 12:09 PM   #170
Bowels
Registered Member

Came in the mail today, ill be installing it tonight, I will try it without the koralias, Id love to be able to give one of them to my brother, but I fear behind my rocks ill need them to run every so often to kick up detritus, Ill have to see how the wp25 works out.

Old 10/15/2013, 05:14 PM   #171
danderso
Registered Member

Nice thread. Sorry for the losses. I had a crash about a year ago. I was out of town for a week and somehow the main plug came out and the system was without power for 5 days. Killed everything. Still haven't fully recovered. Im going to post an update- My thread is Mr Anderson's 65. I also just started a nano thread on a new 12 x 12 cube. I got very discouraged after the crash but I'm excited to be back at it. Look forward to more updates!

Current tank info-
65 gal reef, 250w HQI 14k MH with 2 t5
7 gal nano with Eheim 7 watt led daylight/actinic
danderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2013, 12:01 PM   #172
Bowels
Registered Member

thanks danderso, yeah I cant tell ya, the tank has been on my mind 24/7 i hate having things in my life i love awry... I am dreading having a kid someday... ill be a mess if something happens lol. But all in all looking back....aside from all the loss of innocent life in the tank, the tank as a complete system is better for it overall... got my butt in gear to make some very necessary improvements. We shall see how it goes... yesterday I bought 10 hermit crabs, 5 conehead snails, 5 turbo snails, and i had the guy throw in a bunch of asteria stars, and cerinth snails... so im working on adding life to the tank... the copapods i added a few days ago with the bristle worm and brittle star rock are doing great, and my levels are back to normal... day 2 and everyone is still alive, so i think im back on track. I did a total of 20 gallons changed after the tank crash, and also did alot of spot cleaning, and completely redid and cleaned the sump out, and completly cleaned the skimmer and re calibrated it.... so overall my tank should be a much more self sustaining system.

Old 10/19/2013, 01:44 PM   #173
troopa
Registered Member

Awaiting wp25 opinion

troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2013, 12:05 AM   #174
Bowels
Registered Member

Troopa the wp25 has got to be among the best things I've ever done for my tank, w1 s1 is the setting I've had it on and d it makes a really awesome wave in the tank...exactly what I was looking for and way below the vortech price.

Old 10/21/2013, 03:55 AM   #175
btmedic04
Registered Member

glad to see you are getting it back together bowels. I hate to sound cliche, but its like watching a pheonix rise from the ashes. I'm really excited to see how this all turns out bud!

btmedic04 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, build, nano, reef