Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2011, 07:02 PM   #1
mdeleon1
Registered Member

HOB Refugiums, worth it?

I'm looking into purchasing a hob refugium since I do not have sump. Are these worth having and if so, what is a good brand?

Look at CPR Aquafuges.

Unread 09/30/2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Agu
Registered Member

IMHO most HOB refugiums are over priced for what you get.

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Agu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Cantgrowdidly
Registered Member

although highly priced, I would say the adding the diversity to your system is "worth it"

Cantgrowdidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2011, 08:06 PM   #4
snorvich
Team RC member

I am a big supporter of refugiums. I cannot say if the price of a HOB justifies the benefits. In my case, I have 40 gallon refugiums separately plumbed on each tank.

Unread 09/30/2011, 08:18 PM   #5
parrotchute
Registered Member

I agree that they are majorly overpriced. It is definitely worth it - my old 75g wasn't reef ready, so I couldn't put one under the tank. Having a small fuge packed with macroalgae that I harvested seemed to help out in algae control a lot, as well as producing tons of pods.

Being turned off by the super high price of HOBs, I made one in the corner of my tank that worked really well. I took a small acrylic box (one of those ones used to scoop fish out of a tank, about 1/2 gal), drilled a few small holes in it for flow, and used a cleaning magnet to stick in on in the corner of my tank, with the open top about 1/4" below the water surface. I then put a mini pump in there to prevent the water from being too stagnant. Fill with rubble and macroalgae, and it was perfect and cost <$30! It was close to the lights, too, so no need to add additional lighting.

parrotchute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2011, 08:47 PM   #6
mdeleon1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotchute View Post
I agree that they are majorly overpriced. It is definitely worth it - my old 75g wasn't reef ready, so I couldn't put one under the tank. Having a small fuge packed with macroalgae that I harvested seemed to help out in algae control a lot, as well as producing tons of pods.

Being turned off by the super high price of HOBs, I made one in the corner of my tank that worked really well. I took a small acrylic box (one of those ones used to scoop fish out of a tank, about 1/2 gal), drilled a few small holes in it for flow, and used a cleaning magnet to stick in on in the corner of my tank, with the open top about 1/4" below the water surface. I then put a mini pump in there to prevent the water from being too stagnant. Fill with rubble and macroalgae, and it was perfect and cost <$30! It was close to the lights, too, so no need to add additional lighting.
Wouldn't happen to have a pic?

Unread 09/30/2011, 10:14 PM   #7
parrotchute
Registered Member

This is the best I've got...

parrotchute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2011, 07:16 AM   #8
GrampaDon
Registered Member

What size tank is this for.? And which model CPR are you looking at.?

While I'm not currently using a fuge ,I have before and they worked good. And the science supports the benefit of having one. The science also says bigger is better here. So look at the largest one you can.

As someone who dabbles with acrylic. I can say ,save yourself some grief and get the ready-to-go ,like CPR or whoever. Very likely cheaper than you think over the DIY and will look nice.
[I just like to tinker in the garage ,so I take the hard road.]

GrampaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2011, 07:20 AM   #9
jong11
Registered Member

I know I've seen used ones for sale in the classified section

Current Tank Info: 10 gal nano, 40 gal breeder (in progress)
jong11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2011, 07:51 AM   #10
mdeleon1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampaDon View Post
What size tank is this for.? And which model CPR are you looking at.?

While I'm not currently using a fuge ,I have before and they worked good. And the science supports the benefit of having one. The science also says bigger is better here. So look at the largest one you can.

As someone who dabbles with acrylic. I can say ,save yourself some grief and get the ready-to-go ,like CPR or whoever. Very likely cheaper than you think over the DIY and will look nice.
[I just like to tinker in the garage ,so I take the hard road.]
Looking at CPR AquaFuge2 Dimensions: 13" L x 4.5" W x 12" T for my 56g column tank.

Unread 10/01/2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeleon1 View Post
Looking at CPR AquaFuge2 Dimensions: 13" L x 4.5" W x 12" T for my 56g column tank.
I bought this very same one for my 90gal. about a month ago from BRS. Are they over priced yes, as is everything in this hobby. It is very high quality and I wished I'd have bought it months earlier it does an excellent job. If you decide to go this way spend the extra $$$ and get the light.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0307.JPG (51.3 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0309.JPG (43.9 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0310.JPG (51.0 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0312.JPG (59.7 KB, 408 views)

If you do not test for it, DON'T dose it.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Sport507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2011, 08:52 AM   #12
lcs
It's Spring!!!!!!!

Quote:
I have the 56 column also and have the "regular" Aquafuge, without the skimmer. I have a rock, chaeto, and some other random macro algae that grows like crazy. Was it overpriced? I guess, but I have a great pod & mysid populations and my nitrates have been kept in check even with a well stocked tank and over feeding because I'm supplementing a mandarin. Even after five months, the mandarin is till hunting and pecking at the rocks in the DT so I'm pretty sure the fuge is providing pods to the DT for him.

Just my $0.02. HTH!

Oh, and I did splurge and get the light and the acrylic legs. I second what someone else had mentioned in that I've seen them in the classified thread forum.

lcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2011, 08:53 AM   #13
mdeleon1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport507 View Post
I bought this very same one for my 90gal. about a month ago from BRS. Are they over priced yes, as is everything in this hobby. It is very high quality and I wished I'd have bought it months earlier it does an excellent job. If you decide to go this way spend the extra $$$ and get the light.
Yes, I was looking at the light set-up.

What do you keep in yours?

Unread 10/01/2011, 09:18 AM   #14
GrampaDon
Registered Member

You mean this one ?? http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_AquaF...CR1721-vi.html

GrampaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2011, 09:18 AM   #15
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

In the bottom live rubble rock about 3 inches and above that Caulerpa and Cheto algae. Is that what you were asking? You can see it in the pics I posted and the pods love this thing.

If you do not test for it, DON'T dose it.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Sport507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2011, 09:24 AM   #16
mdeleon1
Registered Member

Yes, that's what I was asking. Thanks.

Unread 10/01/2011, 09:24 AM   #17
mbg75
Registered Member

U can make one out of an aquaclear HOB filter. Budddman had one.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Unread 10/01/2011, 12:19 PM   #18
mdeleon1
Registered Member

So now that i think about this more and more, can I not use the biowheel setup?

I've been using it for waterflow and surface agitation (minus biowheel and filter cartridge). I can just buy a clip on light and stick some chaeto in there, right? Throw some pods and mysid in there too?

Unread 12/14/2016, 09:25 PM   #19
CraftFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampaDon View Post
I have the CPR Aquafuge 2 on my 15-gallon and works well for keeping equipment out of the display tank, but the pump is still awkwardly in the display area, it keeps most of the equipment out of the tank except itself. So, I think this is a great product as HOB refugium.

CraftFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2016, 06:02 AM   #20
cincyjim
Registered Member

I have one and I'm truly happy with it. Overpriced... totally but the benefits are great. I don't have a sand bed, just some small rocks and couple of mushrooms. I have one small crab and three snails in it to keep it cleaned up some. I use this for my pod population. At night when the fuge light is on you can see them everywhere.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2016, 01:22 PM   #21
JeffyT
Registered Member

Premium Aquatics has a really nice one that comes with a light. Expensive though :] but it looks really nice haha.

Current Project: 20gL JBJ AIO Frag Tank | Shallow Reef

Livestock : 3 Clown Fish, Rose BTA, Flame Shrimp

Current Tank Info: 20gL JBJ Shallow Reef
JeffyT is offline   Reply With Quote