Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2011, 07:26 AM   #1
newfubar
Registered Member

Calibrating Temperature Probe

Gang....I have 2 controllers the apex and the apex lite (Mr. Russ is painfully aware of this )...both purchased within the last 3 months.

haven't inquired with Mr. Russ, but my temperature readings on BOTH are constantly anywhere from a 2/10 of a degree to almost 1 degree off. Therefore, I'm constantly (every couple days) calibrating to the correct temp based on a NIST thermometer. I calibrate by entering the correct temperature and pressing the calibrate button, then the update settings button, the system will not let me enter a value for the +/- tenths of a degree adjustment on the page before the calibration page. However the +/- adjustment does reflect new temp adjustment after calibrating to exact temp.

Normal or not? Operator error?

Thanks much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq_cClITLVE

Current Tank Info: 140 gallon acrylic & 46 gallon bowfront
newfubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2011, 09:56 AM   #2
kenargo
Premium Member

Dont take this wrong but stability is much more important than reading and it sounds like you may be tuning yourself to death. Unless you have a very sanitary calibration environment you could still end up being slightly off and then there are slight variations in the electronics that could lead to slight drift. It sounds like you have it as near perfect as you are going to get without going lab grade.

Click on my name to visit my homepage and access a collection of AquaController and Apex software, tips, trick and other Q&A including a link to the 'unofficial Apex new users guide' with loads of helpful information and don't forget to put a pin in my location map.

Current Tank Info: 225G, BK 300 Deluxe, Deltec PF601, Precision Marine Kalkreactor, 2-LMIII+6 pumps, SpectraPure UHE, Apex, LunarSim, Tunze 6305s. Mixed reef, clam, fish, etc.
kenargo is offline   Reply With Quote