Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/30/2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Austinchap
Registered Member

CADLight 8 gallon Build

Well after numerous weeks of looking for a nice nano for the kitchen. I came across the cad lights mini series. I couldn't really find any build threads for these and was kinda scared that i would be paying 149 for a 12x12 tank that im going to rip everything off of to make it useable. so i just bit the bullet and decided id be the guinea pig to see how these AIO's are.

Here are the specs:

*Modern Slim Profile LED lighting system 6.5W. Quad panels design with light output of 4000 LUX/Fc, equivalent to 48W T5HO lighting.

* Tank dimensions are 12" x 12" x 13"

* Slide-able instant Access filter system.

* 100% Acrylic filtration for a true deep black background.

* 110GPH pump for a turn over rate of 25X.

* NEW Linear + Seamless design.

*High Starfire glass Clarity seamless single panel.

The tank arrived pretty quickly after my order and boy was the box big. They had double boxed it with roughly three inches of foam and cardboard between both boxes and the tank. A bomb could have gone off and the tank wouldn't have broke. After unboxing everything the only damage i found was to a small piece of glass that is used for the lid over the back chambers. i called up CAD light and they are sending me a new one right away.

Here are some pics.

The removable Filter area is pretty lose and can pull water from pretty much anywhere.

So i started to modify it....
I decided to just use black air line tubing i had and split it down the middle.
I then ran the Pieces down the cut outs and glued them in place. This made it a snug fit with the tank. The flow now runs through the back like it should.

Still need to add more but you get the idea. The overal look still looks really clean and to me doesn't look rigged....

Austinchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Austinchap
Registered Member

Next i knew i wanted to run a fuge in the back so i had to get rid of some of the paint on the back wall. Wish i would have taken more of this but its very easy to do.

I first taped the area off that i wanted to be clear. I then took a razor and traced lightly around the perimeter of the tape. You then turn the blade on its side and start to remove the paint which will come off like a sticker.

Last edited by Austinchap; 10/30/2011 at 01:01 PM.
Unread 10/30/2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Austinchap
Registered Member

So after all that, I filled up the tank with just tap water and tested everything out over night.

And this morning i was thinking to my self while admiring the empty tank.... that there is no way in H*LL that the pump they sent with it is putting out 110gph...

So i dug out the box it came in and found out this....

So needles to say they sent me a pump that is putting out 79 gallons per hour at its best and appears to be putting out lest then that....
So ill have to make another call to CAD lights. This is only thing that has ****ed me off about this tank so far.... Someone that can build tanks and lighting systems should no better then to put a pump in and hope to get away with it.... Am i wrong here?

I cant even think about another pump that could fit back there.
I think Hydor makes one that puts out 260 gph but would that be to much for such a small area?

Unread 10/30/2011, 03:12 PM   #4
CustomNanoz
Registered Member

I would say your not wrong a little more flow cant hurt. but you dont want to put to much water though your filter any way. May the hydor pico 180gph very small pump and maybe a mp10.

CustomNanoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2011, 03:15 PM   #5
CustomNanoz
Registered Member

My 8g has one for diy refugium works great it is just enough.

Unread 10/30/2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Austinchap
Registered Member

I'll have to get that if they dont come through. How does an mp10 work with the tank

Unread 10/31/2011, 12:16 AM   #7
Austinchap
Registered Member

I've thought of a nice ATO set up that I'll be working on soon. Needless to say the wife gets shop for new containers for her sugar and flour.
We will have them set up just like they are now but I will use the largest for the ATO so everything will be nice and hid on the counter since I can't get my self to drill through them.

Unread 10/31/2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Austinchap
Registered Member

Well Cadlight called me back today and they are sending me the glass piece and the FP-28 pump that puts out roughly 250gph or 950L/H. that should be plenty of flow in this tank if not to much... anyone know how this flow will do? ill be installing a hydor flo to move the water.

Unread 10/31/2011, 06:27 PM   #9
CustomNanoz
Registered Member

it all depends when you say to much water movement! my 8g cube very similar to your without the back baffle. i have about 1100 gph total water movement so i would start with what kind of corals or how far you will take the hobby.

Unread 10/31/2011, 06:30 PM   #10
CustomNanoz
Registered Member

and for the ato. i would probably go with jbj ato with aqua lifter pump. the aqua lifter has 1/4 inch tubing so it wont be as noticeable on the jar you use.

Unread 10/31/2011, 07:20 PM   #11
Austinchap
Registered Member

I'll be using the tunze for the ATO I have one on my biocube hqi and love it.

Unread 11/03/2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Bill Nye
Registered Member

Cool thread!

I am also setting up the 8g and am definitely going to use that mod you came up with for the aio section. Please keep us updated with any other mods or progress you have made! Will be following

Bill Nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2011, 10:16 PM   #13
reefjunkie42
Wrasse junkie

im also thinking about getting 1 it is the nicest all in AIO for the price ive seen. reminds me of the ehiem aquastyle without that ugly filter. how would you say the build quality is?

Current Tank Info: 60g SPS reef
reefjunkie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2011, 12:14 AM   #14
Austinchap
Registered Member

Thanks guys! As of right now I have the water in and the aquascape set up. It shouldn't take to long for it to cycle as I seeded the new sand with some from my other tank. As well as the rock.
The build quality isn't bad at all but I don't think it's a 100%. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. I am really pleased with the silicone job on it which I've heard was really bad with other AIO systems out there.
Customer service so far with cadlight has been awesome. The pump mistake should have never happened but they are fixing the problem without any hesitation.

I went with the finnex heater and controller and love it. The heater is small and fits in the bottom under the chambers with no issues.

Chamber 1 is a biocube skimmer which really works fine with the right pump.

Chamber 2 is the fuge which will be lit up with the jbj led light.

Chamber 3 houses some of the sponge that came with the tank and the pump.

I want run media some how but not sure how to. I want to be able to suspend it in the second chamber.

Unread 11/04/2011, 12:37 AM   #15
iFisch
Registered Member

Have you considered a media basket or even a HOB filter with media basket? StevieT has awesome products, and his products have an excellent fit 'n finish..

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/

Or have you considered a small reactor like such?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Littl...FRISBP-vi.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/ViaAqua_P...FRISPR-vi.html

Can't comment on the quality, but they seem like popular choices.. Hope this helps.

iFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2011, 10:51 PM   #16
Austinchap
Registered Member

I'll have to look at the media baskets. Due to the location and the size I don't want any reactors and such on the counter.
The more I watch this tank with the crappy pump they sen,t makes me want to bring the quality of the tank way down. The top of my tank looks like a stagnate pond. Looking at it makes me want to chunk the tank out of the second story window and already told the wife she is going to have a really nice betta tank if the pump didn't change some things.

The tank is pretty dirty right now. The mini mag float cleaner is to weak for this tank.

Unread 11/05/2011, 11:36 AM   #17
iFisch
Registered Member

Looks like a nice tank. Mind sharing a few more aquascaping pictures?

Keep us posted on the new pump. I've heard people being "told" things were on the way, to only receive them at a much later date then originally quoted.

Unread 11/05/2011, 11:57 AM   #18
Luckedout
Registered Member

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm putting in an order for my own 8g. How about the quality of LED light?

Luckedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2011, 12:24 PM   #19
reefjunkie42
Wrasse junkie

Im kinda bummed.. I just ordered 2, 1 for a gift. I hope they arent as bad ad your saying and they atleast ship the correct pump. geez..

Current Tank Info: 60g SPS reef
reefjunkie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2011, 01:38 PM   #20
Austinchap
Registered Member

I think the new pump will fix everything. The pump should arrive today and I'll post an update come Sunday night or Monday.

I think you guys will be happy with ur orders. The quality is nice and clean. The executed the design the best the could with the removable overflow. All they need to do now is make it fit tighter.
I also really like the heater compartment. The finnex heater fits perfect.
I can't really comment on the light as I have no corals in there yet. It does feel cheap and looks bright enough for soft and lps corals. Maybe sps right under the water surface. I have no way of getting a par reading but I bet it won't be impressive or cadlight would post it up.

Unread 11/05/2011, 07:07 PM   #21
Austinchap
Registered Member

Well here is some pics of the aquascaping as requested. The tanks dirty as i have not ordered a nano mag yet.
The rock i used is Vanuato. It is cured but still pretty fresh i think.

Im not sure if i like it or not... please give me some of ur opinions.
I started to put the rock together with just epoxy and found that it doesnt hold very well. So i used the sandwich method ppl use for frags. Rock-Gel-Epoxy-Gel-Rock. It held in less then 30 seconds.

Front

Right

Left

Let me know what you think!

Also what corals can you have if we turn this into a seahorse tank?

Unread 11/06/2011, 12:27 AM   #22
iFisch
Registered Member

I like the aquascape! Not sure I can be of help with the seahorse question.. I'd try posting that question in the "seahorse" section of RC.

Unread 11/06/2011, 08:50 AM   #23
Bill Nye
Registered Member

Rock looks pretty good. I think if you put one smaller rock on the bottom left in that little hole it would bring the thing together.

Just an FYI about the pump situation...a Maxijet 1200 fits in the back chambers..thats what I am going to be running.

Bill Nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2011, 01:13 PM   #24
Austinchap
Registered Member

Yea I think it looks off on that side as well. I just figured a coral would feel it in at some point. I was thinking about doing a arch from the front left corner, to the left of the shelf where that area is.

I'll have to run and grab the 1200. It looks like it would work great back there! Thanks!

Unread 11/06/2011, 01:59 PM   #25
ZPavDesign
Registered Member

sps, are usually good with seahorses, along with shrooms.

Current Tank Info: 55 Gal Mixed Reef
ZPavDesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cadlights