Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 11/26/2011, 09:04 PM   #101
iluvclowns
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 13
Hey Grim, I am in the process of doing a 60 cube build mixed reef 60% LPS and zoas 40% SPS. I was looking at the ATI 6x24w and 8x24w which one is going to be my best option. Will they both give me enough par to grow and maintain my Rainbow acans and rainbow wellso on the sand bed considering the tank is 24 inches Deep? Also, will they be powerful enough to adequately grow sps and allow them to keep the vivid rich coloration vs looking washed out. Im a lover of color I just want to be sure my coral maintain or gain color.
thank you so much.


iluvclowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2011, 09:07 PM   #102
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvclowns View Post
Hey Grim, I am in the process of doing a 60 cube build mixed reef 60% LPS and zoas 40% SPS. I was looking at the ATI 6x24w and 8x24w which one is going to be my best option. Will they both give me enough par to grow and maintain my Rainbow acans and rainbow wellso on the sand bed considering the tank is 24 inches Deep? Also, will they be powerful enough to adequately grow sps and allow them to keep the vivid rich coloration vs looking washed out. Im a lover of color I just want to be sure my coral maintain or gain color.
thank you so much.
PM and a post.........

If you have a lot of Acans I'd do 6 lamps so they don't get as much light, If that cube is more than 24 inches front to back go with 8


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2011, 09:40 PM   #103
TropTrea
Registered Member
 
TropTrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SE Suburbia Wisconsin
Posts: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbus123 View Post
Hi mr Reefer, how would it be best to arrange the replacement bulbs of 6 t5 14k(marine white) and 2 420nm(marine blue) bulbs to get a bluish look? Or should I make it a 4 white 4 blue combination?

I have a 42" x24" x 24"tall SPS dominated tank.
Is there any chance you can get some 250 nm atinic bulbs like ATI's Blue Plus bulbs? These would be a much better mix with your (marine white bulbs which are probably 10,000K bulbs. The prefered combo would then be two of each. The 10,000K bulbs produce a lot of light in the red and yellow end of the spectrum and going with 3 or 4 of them would be just too much.

Corals like a lot of light in the range from 420nm to about 470nm which is in the BLUE range and a little light in the yellow and red range. Execessive light in the red range can actualy cause more problems than actualy no light in that range.

The 420 nm atinic Blues are going back to old school where it was thaught that those were the only blue frequencies corals utalized. However modern research found corals use virtualy many different band widths of light in the blue range. Also limiting the blue light to just the 420 nm range is not the most pleasing to the eye as it on the outer edge of the eyes sensetivity range and will always look much dimmer to the naked eye that it actualy is.


__________________
Dennis B.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2011, 09:42 PM   #104
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
420 aren't the same as Blue Plus, they are true actinics, not a bunch of PAR there.


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2011, 10:00 PM   #105
beachbreak
Registered Member
 
beachbreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 284
I'm going to be running 3 ai sol blues on a 6' tank and a 2 bulb T5 retro fit on either side of the sols (4 bulbs total). What would you recommend in the T5s? I'm looking for color and a little extra punch with the T5s.

Thanks!


beachbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2011, 10:09 PM   #106
TropTrea
Registered Member
 
TropTrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SE Suburbia Wisconsin
Posts: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajulia View Post
Disclaimer: I am not at all techie or the DIY type. I have a 72gl bowfront that's 21" deep and 17" from the back of the tank across to the bowfront. It has a 48" JBJ fixture that has been running 65w cf for about 7-8yrs. The plexiglass that covers the bulbs has cracked. I have mostly fish and some softies. I want to upgrade my lights and am not at all up to date on the new technology. I am drowning in lighting threads and my brain hurts.
Do i need to get an entirely new fixture to upgrade to better lights? I was looking at this: http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife_...FIT54U-vi.html I want to be able to put more corals into the tank. I really want to add some ricordia and other very colorful coral to the tank but don't want to kill them with the lousy lights i have now. My mushrooms are doing 'okay' as are my polyps but i really want to expand. All thoughts appreciated..but as i said, i am 'older' and not very techie and the not well-versed in the terminology. THANKS!
The JBJ lights you are using I'm very aware of as when I had my store and these lights first came out they suposedly were the end all of aquarium lighting. People were astonished on how these compact florescent lights prodiced more light than the standard florescent lights. Then the truth came out that even though they were brighter you were lucky to get 60% of there light into your tank because of the difficulty in designing an effecient reflector system with the shape of those light bulbs.

I do not think that the coral life fixtures are the best of the HO T-5 fixtures out there today. Again it is in the reflector design however they are a leap in the right direction compared to the best of the old Compact design. With a well designed HO T-5 fixture you will be able to keep virtualy any type of coral using 6 54 Watt bulbs and be getting much more light than if your running 8 65 watt Compacts.

I know if I were purchasing a new fixture today I'd strongly consider ATI's fixtures. You can find some lesser expensive fixtures out there but you may have to go to an 8 bulb fixture to get the same light which you be getting with any of the Quality 6 Bulb fixtures.

For bulb selection you realy want at least half of your bulbs to be simular to the Blue Plus bulbs with a major peak at around 450 nm. Most people will use 4 bulbs like this in a 6 bulb fixture with only 1 full spectrum bulb, and one purple bulb.


__________________
Dennis B.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2011, 10:11 PM   #107
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
I'm going to be running 3 ai sol blues on a 6' tank and a 2 bulb T5 retro fit on either side of the sols (4 bulbs total). What would you recommend in the T5s? I'm looking for color and a little extra punch with the T5s.

Thanks!
I'd do a 50/50 mix of Blue Plus and Purple Plus


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2011, 10:27 PM   #108
iluvclowns
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 13
yea sorry about the double post I didnt realize there was a thread. the tank is exactly 24in from to back. so you would stick with the 6 bulb?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reefer View Post
PM and a post.........

If you have a lot of Acans I'd do 6 lamps so they don't get as much light, If that cube is more than 24 inches front to back go with 8



iluvclowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2011, 10:58 PM   #109
Froggy
Reef "Hobbyist"...right!?
 
Froggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 2,170
Ok, I ordered a 8 X 54 watt Tek T5 for my 120. I ordered the leg brackets and acrylic splash shield. Since the Tek is not actively cooled I am becoming concerned about heat hurting performace of the bulbs.

Grim, I read on your T5 QA site http://home.comcast.net/~stevelarsen00/site/?/home/ that the shield can hurt the performace of non cooled T5 units like the Tek and help with the cooled units. I am pretty concerned about salt spray and have had a heck of a time with this on my 2 bulb retro supplement to halides that I am now replacing with the new Tek. The reflectors on the uncovered retro are pretty sad from salt spray and have not been able to be cleaned well.

How much will the splash shield hurt me ( Tek )? Is there a way I could cool the label end of the bulbs with a clip on fan and use the splash shield too?

The bulbs I ordered to go along with the Tek are ( 5 ) Blue Plus, ( 2 ) Purple Plus, and a GE 6500.

Thanks,
Joe


__________________
Hello, my name is Joe and I am a reef addict.

......Hi Joe..........

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon mixed reef with TBS live rock, 8 X 54 watt TEK T5's, Euroreef RS250 skimmer
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 08:21 AM   #110
lisajulia
Registered Member
 
lisajulia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NoVA
Posts: 142
Oh well...guess i messed up...i really wanted to get something this weekend and i did go and order the coralife 4 bulb fixture. I wanted something that i could just set up right out of the box. Am i still going to be able to change the bulbs to put something in besides the stock lights or am i stuck? I have no idea what alternate/better bulbs would fit inside this fixture. Where can i get that information? THANKS!


lisajulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 11:40 AM   #111
commodore
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 274
Grim-Would appreciate suggestions for 2 t-5 bulbs for fish only tank. Want to enhance fish colors and create pleasant overall look for tank-not too blue or purple. Thanks


commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 01:50 PM   #112
m1nh0h
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 344
My tanks is a 29 gallon tank (30Lx12Wx18H). I will have a mixed reef tank mainly sps.
From what I've seen so far here is the light combo I have in mind.
Front
Ati blue plus
Ati purpLe plus
Ati blue plus
Ati purple plus

What light fixture would you recommend? The problem is that I can't hang the fixture so it would have to either rest on the glass or have mounting legs. Any suggestions on the fixture or lamp combo?


m1nh0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 05:20 PM   #113
ahud
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 519
Hey Grim,

First up thanks for being such a great resource, I tried finding my answer on my own, but I either missed it or the question has not been asked.

I have a 72"x18"x16" tank. I originally wanted to go FOWLR, but considering how much corals add to the look I want to add in a few fast spreading softies.

What kind of lighting would you do for zoas, GSP and mushrooms? I'm just looking for decent growth and color while saving as much coin as possible. The coral is secondary to the fish.

Thanks a lot!
Aaron


ahud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 05:41 PM   #114
gibbus123
Registered Member
 
gibbus123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Thanks for replying, the marine whites are marketed as 14k but look like pinkish to me.
This wagon the websiteof Arcadia for marine whites



I'll be getting some Marine blues


The mixed white and blue is not available but the LFS here has some china aqua blue knock offs. I'm just not sure if it's any good. My fixture originally contained ATI bulbs but it's no longer available here
http://reefcentral.com/forums/images.../headwally.gif

Do you think these bulbs would work? Or should I go Change to MH entirely?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropTrea View Post
Is there any chance you can get some 250 nm atinic bulbs like ATI's Blue Plus bulbs? These would be a much better mix with your (marine white bulbs which are probably 10,000K bulbs. The prefered combo would then be two of each. The 10,000K bulbs produce a lot of light in the red and yellow end of the spectrum and going with 3 or 4 of them would be just too much.

Corals like a lot of light in the range from 420nm to about 470nm which is in the BLUE range and a little light in the yellow and red range. Execessive light in the red range can actualy cause more problems than actualy no light in that range.

The 420 nm atinic Blues are going back to old school where it was thaught that those were the only blue frequencies corals utalized. However modern research found corals use virtualy many different band widths of light in the blue range. Also limiting the blue light to just the 420 nm range is not the most pleasing to the eye as it on the outer edge of the eyes sensetivity range and will always look much dimmer to the naked eye that it actualy is.



gibbus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 06:38 PM   #115
ken6217
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,291
I finally received my 6 bulb Powermodule that took the place of my 4 bulb one in my predominantly SPS tank.

I am running back to front (with #2 and #4 being dawn/dusk):

Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Purple Plus
GE 6500
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

Looks very nice when running 6 bulbs. When running only four bulbs it takes on a different color with Blue Plus, Purple Plus, GE 6500, Blue Plus.

I run it for a few hours a day with 4 bulbs and a few with 6 bulbs for now until everything is acclimated.

A couple of questions.

1. Is the PAR and spectrum good enough when running those 4 bulbs?
2. Should I keep it that way or move the Purple Plus to the #2 position and make that part of the dawn/dusk 2 bulb combo. This will then give the 4 bulb combo of 3 Blue Plus and one GE 6500?

Thanks,
Ken


ken6217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 07:50 PM   #116
FranktheTankTx
Registered Member
 
FranktheTankTx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,290
Grim & Ryan -

Short & sweet -

(8) 54w T5 Retro fit

Front
Blue Plus
True Actinic
Purple Plus
Blue Plus
GE 6500k
Blue Plus
KZ New Gen
Blue Plus

Nice color, PAR & bulb placement? Of course I can wire it to have the bulbs paired correctly for timer function. Assuming I will get between 14-20k with this set up depending on when the 6500k bulb comes on. Might even play with the combination with a few extra bulbs... Maybe swap out the 6500k for a 2nd New Gen. I'll grab a few extras...

Mainly questioning the bulb placement for consistent color. Sound good?


__________________
Frank the Tank

"What, I thought we were in the trust tree... in the nest? Are we not?"

Current Tank Info: Custom Rimless 60g (30.5"x24.5"x18.5")
FranktheTankTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 10:37 PM   #117
dmpeyton
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 12
Grim,

I'm sorry to pile on another question! I am considering my options for lighting my standard 55 gallon (48L x 12W x 21H). I would like to be able to keep pretty much anything in it. A power module is out of my reach so here are the candidates:

Nova Extreme Pro 48 in, 6x54 (I would change out the stock bulbs one at a time)
Tek 48 in, 4x54 with ati bulbs
Ice Cap 48 in, 4x54 retro kit with a 660 ballast (I already have a canopy)

I was leaning towards the Nova because it will fit perfectly and has six bulbs. Will the crappy reflectors offset the benefit of two extra bulbs? I can't hang a fixture, so I'd have to get the mounting legs for the Tek. I'm a little worried about salt spray damage to the reflectors if I go with the Ice Cap, and I would have to change out the bulbs more often. So much to consider! I think the cost of each would come out about the same (around $400) so it's really a matter of what would work best. I have learned so much from your website, but I was hoping to get your expert opinion. Thanks for all your help!


dmpeyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 11:36 PM   #118
TropTrea
Registered Member
 
TropTrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SE Suburbia Wisconsin
Posts: 2,924
Lisa your in luck as to the fact that virtualy all High Output T-5 bulbs are interchangable based on there lenght.

My suggestion for you would changing out one of the Atinic Bulbs and one of the 10,000K Bulbs and replaceing them both with ATI's Blue Plus bulbs. Then roughly 6 months from now replace the other two original bulbs with an ATI Purle Plus on your dawn to dusk circuit, and an ATO Aqua Blue Special on the mid day cycle.

With oly 4 tubes you may not have enough light for some of the SPS corals unless you position them very close to the lights themselves.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajulia View Post
Oh well...guess i messed up...i really wanted to get something this weekend and i did go and order the coralife 4 bulb fixture. I wanted something that i could just set up right out of the box. Am i still going to be able to change the bulbs to put something in besides the stock lights or am i stuck? I have no idea what alternate/better bulbs would fit inside this fixture. Where can i get that information? THANKS!



__________________
Dennis B.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 11:41 PM   #119
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvclowns View Post
yea sorry about the double post I didnt realize there was a thread. the tank is exactly 24in from to back. so you would stick with the 6 bulb?
yes


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 11:45 PM   #120
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Ok, I ordered a 8 X 54 watt Tek T5 for my 120. I ordered the leg brackets and acrylic splash shield. Since the Tek is not actively cooled I am becoming concerned about heat hurting performace of the bulbs.

Grim, I read on your T5 QA site http://home.comcast.net/~stevelarsen00/site/?/home/ that the shield can hurt the performace of non cooled T5 units like the Tek and help with the cooled units. I am pretty concerned about salt spray and have had a heck of a time with this on my 2 bulb retro supplement to halides that I am now replacing with the new Tek. The reflectors on the uncovered retro are pretty sad from salt spray and have not been able to be cleaned well.

How much will the splash shield hurt me ( Tek )? Is there a way I could cool the label end of the bulbs with a clip on fan and use the splash shield too?

The bulbs I ordered to go along with the Tek are ( 5 ) Blue Plus, ( 2 ) Purple Plus, and a GE 6500.

Thanks,
Joe
If you just gotta have a splash shield get a clip on fan and blow it against the back center edge of the fixture, from above a little if you can. It should force air through the cooling vents on the fixture and help a little.


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 11:48 PM   #121
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajulia View Post
Oh well...guess i messed up...i really wanted to get something this weekend and i did go and order the coralife 4 bulb fixture. I wanted something that i could just set up right out of the box. Am i still going to be able to change the bulbs to put something in besides the stock lights or am i stuck? I have no idea what alternate/better bulbs would fit inside this fixture. Where can i get that information? THANKS!
As long as it's the HO T5 fixture you should be fine with any of the other lamps.

I'd do 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 Purple Plus and 1 KZ New Generation.


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 11:50 PM   #122
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahud View Post
Hey Grim,

First up thanks for being such a great resource, I tried finding my answer on my own, but I either missed it or the question has not been asked.

I have a 72"x18"x16" tank. I originally wanted to go FOWLR, but considering how much corals add to the look I want to add in a few fast spreading softies.

What kind of lighting would you do for zoas, GSP and mushrooms? I'm just looking for decent growth and color while saving as much coin as possible. The coral is secondary to the fish.

Thanks a lot!
Aaron
There are 4x80 watt fixtures that are 60" long that would work. Tek and U think Aquatic life build them for sure. One of those would be fine.


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 11:52 PM   #123
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbus123 View Post
Thanks for replying, the marine whites are marketed as 14k but look like pinkish to me.
This wagon the websiteof Arcadia for marine whites



I'll be getting some Marine blues


The mixed white and blue is not available but the LFS here has some china aqua blue knock offs. I'm just not sure if it's any good. My fixture originally contained ATI bulbs but it's no longer available here
http://reefcentral.com/forums/images.../headwally.gif

Do you think these bulbs would work? Or should I go Change to MH entirely?
The marine Blues with a couple of the whites should look pretty good


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 11:53 PM   #124
TropTrea
Registered Member
 
TropTrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SE Suburbia Wisconsin
Posts: 2,924
I'm assuming budget is why are not considering an ATI, Tex, or IceCap 6 bulb fixture. Yes the Nova fixture with 6 bulbs will give you more light than any of the 4 bulb fixtures. You would have to have a loss of 33% more light with the 6 bulb fixture to fall behind with the extra bulbs. Now if your comparing 8 bult to 6 bulb fixtures it is only a 25% loss to equalize out and between the cheapest and the best with individual reflectors for each bulb come very close to that difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpeyton View Post
Grim,

I'm sorry to pile on another question! I am considering my options for lighting my standard 55 gallon (48L x 12W x 21H). I would like to be able to keep pretty much anything in it. A power module is out of my reach so here are the candidates:

Nova Extreme Pro 48 in, 6x54 (I would change out the stock bulbs one at a time)
Tek 48 in, 4x54 with ati bulbs
Ice Cap 48 in, 4x54 retro kit with a 660 ballast (I already have a canopy)

I was leaning towards the Nova because it will fit perfectly and has six bulbs. Will the crappy reflectors offset the benefit of two extra bulbs? I can't hang a fixture, so I'd have to get the mounting legs for the Tek. I'm a little worried about salt spray damage to the reflectors if I go with the Ice Cap, and I would have to change out the bulbs more often. So much to consider! I think the cost of each would come out about the same (around $400) so it's really a matter of what would work best. I have learned so much from your website, but I was hoping to get your expert opinion. Thanks for all your help!



__________________
Dennis B.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2011, 11:54 PM   #125
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some FOOTBALL!!
 
The Grim Reefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Aurora
Posts: 25,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken6217 View Post
I finally received my 6 bulb Powermodule that took the place of my 4 bulb one in my predominantly SPS tank.

I am running back to front (with #2 and #4 being dawn/dusk):

Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Purple Plus
GE 6500
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

Looks very nice when running 6 bulbs. When running only four bulbs it takes on a different color with Blue Plus, Purple Plus, GE 6500, Blue Plus.

I run it for a few hours a day with 4 bulbs and a few with 6 bulbs for now until everything is acclimated.

A couple of questions.

1. Is the PAR and spectrum good enough when running those 4 bulbs?
2. Should I keep it that way or move the Purple Plus to the #2 position and make that part of the dawn/dusk 2 bulb combo. This will then give the 4 bulb combo of 3 Blue Plus and one GE 6500?

Thanks,
Ken
Spectrum is fine. Try the PP in the dusl/dawn and see what YOU think. I personally like the look but it isn't for everyone.


__________________
America, the way it outta be!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The T5 Q&a Thread JohnL Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment 999 01/30/2007 09:36 AM
The T5 Q&a Thread JohnL Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment 999 12/06/2006 06:45 AM
The T5 Q&a Thread JohnL Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment 999 09/28/2006 07:50 AM
The T5 Q&a Thread JohnL Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment 999 07/03/2006 05:22 PM
Please post the massive T5 Q&A Thread dc_909 Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment 0 04/27/2006 10:42 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:32 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.