Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/28/2011, 04:19 PM   #1
JJIM
Registered Member

Rock flower anemone care etc.

I am looking to add a couple rock anemones to my 28 gallon nano. What are the care needs of this type? I am not one for high maintenance of my marine specimens within my nano tanks. That being said, if an anemone can filter feed effectively with an occasional bi-monthly or weekly feeding it will suit my style.

Feeding regimen-

Lighting-

Less likely of the anemones to harm other corals-

How clean of a tank (I have no skimmer but do bi-monthly water changes)-

What would be another good option knowing my care maintenance and tank size?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Unread 12/28/2011, 06:11 PM   #2
garygb
Registered Member

Flower anemones (Epicystis crucifer) are hardy and would likely fit into your maintenance schedule. In that small a tank they could be fine with PC, T-5, MH lighting. They are not likely to significantly harm your corals, but will sting them if in direct contact. Another good option would be maxi-mini--hardy and stay small and are generally undemanding. I would suggest if you keep any species of anemone that you keep an eye on nitrates. I have noticed that regardless of species (and I have several), they don't like nitrates. They don't open to their fullest. Perhaps they can acclimate that nitrate, but I prefer to aim for undetectable levels.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2011, 06:48 PM   #3
elegance coral
They call me EC

If you're keeping stony corals alive and healthy, you should have no problem with crucifer. The anemone may move a few inches when you first put it in the tank, but it's not likely to move after that, so it poses very little risk to corals or other critters in the tank.

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote