Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > SpectraPure
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09/30/2013, 08:02 PM   #26
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Spectrapure,

i need some clarification on water exchange set up.. For an example , i need to take 3g out and add 3 g in the sump. how would i set up a time on the pump.. I got all connected and calibrated but this puzzles me.

mike

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2013, 08:45 AM   #27
ganjero
saiperchémibatteilcorazon

Mike,

There is not times to setup in the litermeter, you just set the amount for each pump to move in and out of the sump, in your case it should read on the screen ~11.36 for each pump (which is 3g in liters). The litermeter will automatically divide that amount and do 150 small changes a day. Also the pumps do not run at the same time, one pump will take some water out and later the other will deliver the same amount and so on.

Remember that you have to watch you salinity when doing automatic water changes.

ganjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2013, 11:47 AM   #28
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Correct^^...set the "Flow" to the amount of water you want each pump to exchange each day (expressed as liters) and you're all set. The pumps will alternate their operation throughout the day.
Here's our setup video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxRhcbEZLEE

Shane,
SpectraPure, Inc

Old 10/16/2013, 02:05 PM   #29
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Thank you guys,
I already set it up.. but it looks to me this is water cycling process instead of true water changes..To me WC when you take 3g out and put 3g in
But, time will change

Mike

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2013, 11:42 AM   #30
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

We wondered about this and did some calculations some years ago. We found that, depending upon the size of the tank system and the exchange quantity, there is a 3-6% "waste" factor where you are theoretically taking "new" water out of the tank along with the "old" water. In reality, that is only a short-term concern because once the water is "all-good" and you are continuing the exchange process (albeit dialed-back to a maintenance level), the differences between "old" and "new" water is moot.

Support
SpectraPure, Inc.

Old 10/28/2013, 04:21 PM   #31
Socent
Registered Member

Yeah this is awesome!!! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to print out your posts and try this myself.

Socent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2013, 08:33 PM   #32
drsalomon
Registered Member

Your post is EPIC! Thanks for the inspiration to setup a water change system.

If you want to stop the rapid cycling of the RODI system, goto autotopoff.com and get their double upper lower controller and also get the latching with fail safe upgrade. This way you have a lower float valve which triggers a solenoid on your RODI intake and it does not turn off until a second valve positioned higher is triggered by the rising water. I had the exact same problem and every hour when my ATO triggered it would cycle the RODI and it was really bad because RODI generation was faster than ATO through my kalk reactor so it cycled like crazy during the topoff. This unit fixes that problem. You can still use the float valve in your RODI tank as a failsafe on the solenoid.

drsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2014, 09:43 PM   #33
Cyclist
Moved On

Excellent write up.

Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2014, 03:39 PM   #34
StevieK
Registered Member

indeed, a great read. I was wondering wrt to the exchange if anyone has set this up and if spectapure has a shut off for the fresh salt water reservoir when it the water is close to the bottom. In other words, i would hate to be pumping out water out of the tank when there is no water to put in.

My second questions is if the water is not pumping simultaneously, then will you not have an issue with your ATO? Will it not fill every time the out water pump goes?

StevieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2014, 09:32 AM   #35
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

We do not have a low reservoir switch. You should not prematurely drain the reservoir considering you know how many days' worth and quantity per day is in the reservoir. If you can't get around to re-filling the reservoir in time, just shut the LiterMeter off until you can re-fill it.

Such small amounts are exchanged in each cycle that the level will barely move at any one time. Natural evaporation will eventually trip the ATO, but not on a regular basis.

Scott
SpectraPure

Old 02/24/2014, 08:03 PM   #36
drsalomon
Registered Member

I put a float switch in the bottom of my fresh salt tank on apex that controls power to litermeter. My ato also is set to trigger just once per hour by apex.

drsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2014, 03:05 PM   #37
StevieK
Registered Member

OK
Automatic waterchange sounds good. i am trying to understand what i need (litremeter $279) and see no value in the "built in water level sensor controlled switch", so can i just buy the Remote Pump Module ($129) and be away to the races?

Old 02/26/2014, 03:11 PM   #38
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

It is a safety feature to include the TCM (topoff control module) for $39 to ensure that both pumps shut down in the event of an unexpected rise in the sump level.

Scott
SpectraPure

Old 02/27/2014, 09:13 AM   #39
StevieK
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectraPure View Post
It is a safety feature to include the TCM (topoff control module) for $39 to ensure that both pumps shut down in the event of an unexpected rise in the sump level.

Scott
SpectraPure

Scott agreed and understood, if, my fresh salt water was anywhere near my tank, however, it is located in a different room, so i am hoping that all i need to use is a LM3 and RPM in that room.

Steve

Old 02/27/2014, 10:07 AM   #40
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

OK, if you don't want to locate the equipment near or under the tank.

Scott

Old 06/20/2014, 09:41 PM   #41
Easttuth
Registered Member

Has anyone ever shared the results of this? I'm interested in doing a similar system but would like to know how it turned out.

Old 06/24/2014, 10:55 AM   #42
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

We aren't sure if the poster is still around. We have asked to post results a few times via private message. If you want to see if the LiterMeter can handle this over a long period of time. Post this link in a new thread in our forum or outside of our forum to see what other people thoughts on the subject. I for one know for a fact that this is a solid set up. we have been running a more extensive set up for many years. Our tubing going up 10 feet, and across 15, and then up another 5-10, and then across 60 feet making many turns, and then down 20 feet, and across another ten feet. We have been running this set up for many years. I have never had an issue other than running out of salt water over the weekend.

Jeremy

Old 04/09/2015, 09:04 PM   #43
Volcom698
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjero View Post
Mike,

There is not times to setup in the litermeter, you just set the amount for each pump to move in and out of the sump, in your case it should read on the screen ~11.36 for each pump (which is 3g in liters). The litermeter will automatically divide that amount and do 150 small changes a day. Also the pumps do not run at the same time, one pump will take some water out and later the other will deliver the same amount and so on.

Remember that you have to watch you salinity when doing automatic water changes.
I know this is old, but I'm curious if it takes a small amount of water out, then waits and adds water a little later what prevents an outside company's ATO from not filling the tank? This maybe a dumb question, but can you run an ATO and do water changes?

I have an litermeter3 thinking of doing water changes, but I have a ATO from another company. How does all this work.

Volcom698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2015, 09:25 AM   #44
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

It's those little doses that tend to not disturb the ATO.

Eventually, due to the natural evaporation, there may come the time when the dropping level might be just one tiny dose early tripping the ATO on. Not a big deal because there's the same random chance that later there will be just one dose late to tripping the ATO off. An vice-versa. This randomness averages to zero effect over time.

Even with our minimal-delta UPLC-II ATO, we don't see erratic operation or salinity changes.

Support at SpectraPure

Old 04/10/2015, 03:52 PM   #45
Volcom698
Registered Member

Awesome thanks. In order to do this I need the TCM, RTM correct? I already have a litermeter3? Thanks

Volcom698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/10/2015, 03:54 PM   #46
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Yes, the TCM and the RPM.

Thanks.

Old 09/23/2015, 08:44 AM   #47
Ocelaris
Registered Member

Great thread, but isn't it a bad idea to dump salt water into soil? Pretty sure that will render the soil unusable forever.

Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/23/2015, 10:27 AM   #48
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelaris View Post
Great thread, but isn't it a bad idea to dump salt water into soil? Pretty sure that will render the soil unusable forever.
It could be, but by looking at his picture it seems to be fine. There are also nutrients in waste water from a salt water tank. In Arizona our water has a lot of calcium in it.

Perhaps the original poster didn't care to use that soil again. I actually have my out water on my main tank feeding my quarantine tank, and then the out water from the quarantine tank going down the drain.

Jeremy

Old 09/24/2015, 04:15 PM   #49
StevieK
Registered Member

This is what I've been doing for a few years works great

Old 10/19/2015, 09:46 PM   #50
maggie96521
Registered Member

Hi I have question about the dosing pump, my living room is on the second floor, and my garage is on the first floor, does litermeter pump deliver the water from first floor to second floor? Thanks

maggie96521 is offline   Reply With Quote