Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/17/2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Metal Man 1221
FMMAS Executive Director

Outlet Malfunction

Hello,

Recently, I have noticed an issue that has been occurring with my lighting outlet. Occasionally, but only at night. when my topoff pump turns off, my lights flicker briefly. Lights are on outlet 7 top off pump on 8. It doesn't happen every time, but I have seen it happen up to 3 times with in a half hour.

Any Ideas?

I was thinking about switching the lights with a different piece of equipment to get them away from the mechanical relay that the topoff pump is on. But at the moment I don't feel like reprogramming any thing.

Thanks.

"Only after the last tree's cut
and the last river poisoned
only after the last fish is caught
will you find that money cannot be eaten"
~Lamb of God~

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, 45g sump ---- 57g Illuminata, custom sump
Metal Man 1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2012, 08:00 AM   #2
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

It's a somewhat common problem. The TRIAC outlet (#7) is getting interference from the mechanical outlet (#8). Moving the device on 7 to a different outlet is the easiest solution.

Not sure why some devices are so sensitive but it always seems to be lighting that has the problem. Try swapping it with a pump (put a pump on #7 and the lights someplace else).

Old 01/18/2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Metal Man 1221
FMMAS Executive Director

Thats kind of what I figured was going on.

I will swap it with a maxi jet in my sump and see how that works.

Thanks.

~Lamb of God~

Old 01/26/2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Metal Man 1221
FMMAS Executive Director

Well I moved the lights on to an outlet away from outlets 4 and 8. I didn't see anything for a while, but a few nights ago I caught it doing it again. Would the relays cause interference on not just adjacent outlets?

I was thinking about moving it to outlet 1 or 5 to maybe solve the problem, but I haven't had the time. I also don't want to reprogram if all of the solid state outlets will be affected.

~Lamb of God~

Old 01/27/2012, 01:39 PM   #5
aquamanic
WHO DAT??

Before you move things again, try putting the lights on a small outlet strip, plugging the outlet strip into the same outlet you had the lights. No reprogramming necessary.

Old 01/27/2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Landsailor
Registered Member

It sounds to me like it has to do with the harmonics that the light's ballast is throwing back into the line. Ballasts are horribly "noisy" on the line and all it takes is a slight current going backwards to induce a current in another trace on the PCB (ala a transformer).

Landsailor is offline   Reply With Quote