Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 01/23/2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Pufferd300s
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 63
Could i have missed it

so its been 8 days now and i have not seen a spike in my levels. nitrate is 0 nitrite is 0 pH is 8.3 ammonia is 0 salinity is about 1.026. i have a crazy amount of diatoms all over my sand and lR. is it possible i missed the spike i have been testing the water every 3 days.


Pufferd300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 07:20 PM   #2
mguiling
Registered Member
 
mguiling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey, near Philadelphia
Posts: 200
Was there ever any ammonia?


mguiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Pufferd300s
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mguiling View Post
Was there ever any ammonia?
not that i have seen but i do have diatoms idk if that means anything this is my first tank ever


Pufferd300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 07:32 PM   #4
sporto0
Moved On
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 2,928
Diatoms eat (for the lack of a better term) silica that's typically found in some sands, they have nothing to do with the nitrogen cycle. If you don't introduce ammonia into your system somehow, the tank will not cycle i.e. no nitrifying colonizing bacteria will grow.


sporto0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 07:32 PM   #5
mguiling
Registered Member
 
mguiling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey, near Philadelphia
Posts: 200
I'm also starting my first tank. But I started with no live rock only marco rocks and sand, added ammonia and waited for the miracle over a week. Finally I bought a live rock and started seeing both nitrite and nitrate the next morning. IMHO try adding a little ammonia daily until you see something, just make sure it is pure ammonia with no detergents.


mguiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Pufferd300s
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporto0 View Post
Diatoms eat (for the lack of a better term) silica that's typically found in some sands, they have nothing to do with the nitrogen cycle. If you don't introduce ammonia into your system somehow, the tank will not cycle i.e. no nitrifying coloninizing bacteria will grow.
should i try the SHRIMP ?


Pufferd300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Pufferd300s
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mguiling View Post
I'm also starting my first tank. But I started with no live rock only marco rocks and sand, added ammonia and waited for the miracle over a week. Finally I bought a live rock and started seeing both nitrite and nitrate the next morning. IMHO try adding a little ammonia daily until you see something, just make sure it is pure ammonia with no detergents.
i will try that where did u get it ?


Pufferd300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 07:41 PM   #8
sporto0
Moved On
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 2,928
Ghost feed the tank for a week with flakes or a few pellets a day or you can use the shrimp. I would be very careful adding pure ammonia from a bottle into the tank, the problem being the actual purity, if it has other contaminants in it, that would not bode well for the livestock.


sporto0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Pufferd300s
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporto0 View Post
Ghost feed the tank for a week with flakes or a few pellets a day or you can use the shrimp. I would be very careful adding pure ammonia from a bottle into the tank, the problem being the actual purity, if it has other contaminants in it, that would not bode well for the livestock.
ill trust u and ghost feed do u recommend any brand flakes


Pufferd300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 07:56 PM   #10
sporto0
Moved On
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 2,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufferd300s View Post
ill trust u and ghost feed do u recommend any brand flakes
Yes, any brand flakes will do. You are looking for the uneaten food to breakdown into ammonia, so any kind of food will do.


sporto0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 08:40 PM   #11
mguiling
Registered Member
 
mguiling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey, near Philadelphia
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufferd300s View Post
i will try that where did u get it ?
Any grocery store will have it. There are always 2 kinds, pure ammonia and the one with detergent additives. They are clearly marked.


mguiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 08:43 PM   #12
mguiling
Registered Member
 
mguiling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey, near Philadelphia
Posts: 200
btw: I tried ghost feeding for a couple of weeks and never saw any ammonia.


mguiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Pufferd300s
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporto0 View Post
Yes, any brand flakes will do. You are looking for the uneaten food to breakdown into ammonia, so any kind of food will do.
So I just checked my ammonia its at 0.25ppm is that the spike iam looking for


Pufferd300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 08:58 PM   #14
gatojebv
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Garfield, New Jersey
Posts: 23
Use a Shrimp is simple enough to start your cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pufferd300s View Post
should i try the SHRIMP ?



gatojebv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 09:34 PM   #15
sporto0
Moved On
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa.
Posts: 2,928
Any ammount of ammonia is what you want to start the process. Here's a pretty simple explanation of the process, disregard the part where they say to add Damsels to start the cylce, that's how us cavemen used to do it. http://www.saltwater-aquarium-online...gen-cycle.html


sporto0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 09:55 PM   #16
Pufferd300s
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporto0 View Post
Any ammount of ammonia is what you want to start the process. Here's a pretty simple explanation of the process, disregard the part where they say to add Damsels to start the cylce, that's how us cavemen used to do it. http://www.saltwater-aquarium-online...gen-cycle.html
Great artical thanks alot now I know what to be looking for.


Pufferd300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 11:40 PM   #17
DrBegalke
Go Buckeyes!
 
DrBegalke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Phoenix area, AZ
Posts: 2,628
Just feed the tank any type of fish food, flakes, pellet, shrimp will all work.

Do you have live rock in the tank, or what is in there now?


__________________
~Jason Begalke

Current Tank Info: Latest project: JBJ Cubey
DrBegalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 02:51 AM   #18
zhewitt04
Registered Member
 
zhewitt04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kokomo, IN
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by mguiling View Post
btw: I tried ghost feeding for a couple of weeks and never saw any ammonia.
You didn't give it enough time then because this is the best way of introducing ammonia to the cycle. I have never heard anyone actually adding pure ammonia in a bottle to a system.


__________________
150 Gallon 55Gallon Sump/Fuge
80lbs Live Rock
Foxface, Harliquen Tusk

65 Gallon with 15 Gallon sump/fuge & 15 Gallon Frag tank
80lbs Live rock
Tailsport Blenny, Yellow watchmen, tomini tang, sixline.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gal. Reef Tank Build
zhewitt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 11:50 AM   #19
Pufferd300s
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBegalke View Post
Just feed the tank any type of fish food, flakes, pellet, shrimp will all work.

Do you have live rock in the tank, or what is in there now?
Yes i have 30Lbs of LR and 40Lbs of live sand.


Pufferd300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 12:20 PM   #20
Sharkdog22
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lakeland Fl.
Posts: 102
brightwell microbacter7 is a great way to start your tank in the right direction, I use that on all my tanks. I have never started any of my tanks with any thing other than live sand and live rock, on my first tank I did the damsel thing(never doing that again). the microbacter is a bottled bacteria that your tank is making on its own anyways and it needs to establish a health tank.


Sharkdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 12:27 PM   #21
saltycoastie
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Liberty Texas (east houston)
Posts: 42
just get some ammonia and dose it, if amm and nitities gone within 24 hrs


__________________
I am a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.

Be nice to the people who smoke. Every cigarette may be their last.

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon cichlid, 10 gallon nano reef with 10 gallon sump
saltycoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 12:29 PM   #22
Sharkdog22
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lakeland Fl.
Posts: 102
also how big is your tank? the cycle can take any where from 2-8 weeks, just be patient, if you don't have that then you will have a horrible time in this hobby and get out of it sooner than later and that is no fun and will make us all sad.


Sharkdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 10:01 PM   #23
Pufferd300s
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 63
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkdog22 View Post
also how big is your tank? the cycle can take any where from 2-8 weeks, just be patient, if you don't have that then you will have a horrible time in this hobby and get out of it sooner than later and that is no fun and will make us all sad.
Yes I understand that patients is the key to success in this hobby I just want to make sure I was not doing anything wrong. My tank is 36Lx12Dx18HDIATOMS I belive that makes it 30gallons not sure since its an older tank in fact it has a manufacturing stamp date on it that says 1968 lol. My tank ammonia just dropped to 0be and my nitrates are up a little so I belive im on the right track.


Pufferd300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.