Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2012, 03:11 PM   #1
SkullV
They Got My Number

Easy Free SC-65 Skimmer Mod

For anyone that has one of these skimmers here is a cheap easy mod to reduce turbulence in the reaction chamber. This in turn reduces the foam head collapsing and increases production.

The issue is rooted in the barb fitting that is used on the pump outlet. This fitting directs the pumps output directly at the bubble plate with very close proximity to the bubble plate. Due to the small closed design of the skimmer this is about the best mod I could come up with (really just mimics the Bubble Magus NAC3.5), but it seems to be working very well.

Very simple. Just cut the barb off the output fitting flush with the portion of the fitting that secures the pump to the skimmer body:

If you want to get really fancy, you can also use the dremmel sanding wheel (or similar) to countersink the output which will spread the flow out of the outlet a bit. This will further reduce turbulence by reducing the flow directed straight at the bubble plate.

Enjoy!

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.

Last edited by SkullV; 02/21/2012 at 03:39 PM.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 03:48 PM   #2
6Speed
Zardoz

Does this increase bubbles coming out of the output pipe?

edit: nevermind I see the answer to my own question. I thought the outlet pipe was inside the bubble plate chamber from your pic but it's just outside of it.

Last edited by 6Speed; 02/21/2012 at 03:59 PM.
6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 05:34 PM   #3
SkullV
They Got My Number

No more bubbles coming from the output of the skimmer. I did notice that I had to raise the water level in the skimmer slightly but that doesn't make any difference to me.

Unread 02/21/2012, 05:38 PM   #4
allsps40
Registered Member

Good idea there. I need to look at my SC150 for this issue though my foam head is very stable.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2012, 05:39 PM   #5
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsps40 View Post
Good idea there. I need to look at my SC150 for this issue though my foam head is very stable.
I believe your SC150 has a bubble plate which is semi blocked off. If you direct the output of the pump at the blocked off side of the bubble plate you are accomplishing the same thing (but even better). This is how the larger bubble plate on my Bubble Magus NAC8 is designed.

Unread 02/21/2012, 08:10 PM   #6
tommy tomato
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
I believe your SC150 has a bubble plate which is semi blocked off. If you direct the output of the pump at the blocked off side of the bubble plate you are accomplishing the same thing (but even better). This is how the larger bubble plate on my Bubble Magus NAC8 is designed.
I need to turn my bubble plate around! I'll be doing it in the morning when I get off work..hopefully it'll fix my micro bubble problem too

Angelfish boy to Matt: Now go cry in your bathroom when your nitrates aren't in check.
tommy tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 10:12 AM   #7
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
For anyone that has one of these skimmers here is a cheap easy mod to reduce turbulence in the reaction chamber. This in turn reduces the foam head collapsing and increases production.

The issue is rooted in the barb fitting that is used on the pump outlet. This fitting directs the pumps output directly at the bubble plate with very close proximity to the bubble plate. Due to the small closed design of the skimmer this is about the best mod I could come up with (really just mimics the Bubble Magus NAC3.5), but it seems to be working very well.

Very simple. Just cut the barb off the output fitting flush with the portion of the fitting that secures the pump to the skimmer body:

If you want to get really fancy, you can also use the dremmel sanding wheel (or similar) to countersink the output which will spread the flow out of the outlet a bit. This will further reduce turbulence by reducing the flow directed straight at the bubble plate.

Enjoy!

wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 10:54 AM   #8
symon_say
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy tomato View Post
I need to turn my bubble plate around! I'll be doing it in the morning when I get off work..hopefully it'll fix my micro bubble problem too
Put a 90 elbow at the lower part of the blu pipe and point it to the opposite wall of your bubble trap, this will avoid micro bubbles from passing skimmer chamber.

ICH is overrated...

Current Tank Info: Designing a 200G
symon_say is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2012, 06:54 PM   #9
mic209
Registered Member

Thank You for this idea, made a big difference in skimmer production.

mic209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2012, 02:10 PM   #10
6Speed
Zardoz

any nog photos? Can you give a review of the skimmer?

Unread 02/29/2012, 09:41 AM   #11
JMurphy97
Registered Member

I just got my sc-65 yesterday and I have two of the pieces you say to cut. This is my first skimmer so I'm a bit puzzled on if you use both of those pieces. The skimmer came in pieces so I used the other thread as reference to put it together and I have that one piece left over. Any help is appreciated.

JMurphy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2012, 10:04 AM   #12
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMurphy97 View Post
I just got my sc-65 yesterday and I have two of the pieces you say to cut. This is my first skimmer so I'm a bit puzzled on if you use both of those pieces. The skimmer came in pieces so I used the other thread as reference to put it together and I have that one piece left over. Any help is appreciated.
For some reason they send an extra. I cut one and saved the other one.

Unread 02/29/2012, 10:32 AM   #13
JMurphy97
Registered Member

Quote:
For some reason they send an extra. I cut one and saved the other one.
Cool thanks I was figuring that was the case and you just use the cut one inside your skimmer. Time to get cutting.

Unread 02/29/2012, 11:00 AM   #14
SkullV
They Got My Number

I have been toying around with another mod to the skimmer outlet to reduce microbubbles. It's in use now but I'm leaving the country for 11 days. When I get back I'll post it up pending how it worked while I was gone.

Unread 02/29/2012, 12:50 PM   #15
allsps40
Registered Member

Quote:
Yep that is how mine is. This post just got me wondering thats all.

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
Unread 02/29/2012, 12:51 PM   #16
allsps40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Speed View Post
any nog photos? Can you give a review of the skimmer?
Check my SC150 review, there is a lot on the SC65 in there as well.

Unread 03/01/2012, 09:00 AM   #17
TS14
Registered Member

Tagging alone , thinking of getting the sc-65 for my 46 bow

TS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2012, 09:50 AM   #18
6Speed
Zardoz

I just ordered one up the other day. It should be here soon. I'm going to post a full review of it once I get it.

Unread 03/01/2012, 09:55 AM   #19
JMurphy97
Registered Member

I got mine Tuesday, got it up and running yesterday at 12:45 pm and less then 12 hours it already has some brown gunk foaming up.

Unread 03/09/2012, 05:24 PM   #20
emmanuel
Registered Member

got my 65 today let it run for an hour in 1/5 vinegar/rodi wiped it down and it looks promising nothing collecting yet but it does have some nice foam head and its a lot quieter than my remora and a little louder than my silent sapphire aquatics probably comparable in sound to the POS Tunze 9002
also did this mod I didnt even turn it on before making this mod I hope it's a positive thing I cant see it hurting anything

emmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 09:31 PM   #21
scolley
ARKSC Founding Member

Thanks for posting what appears to be an easy - but highly beneficial - mod!

One question... Does this reduction in the exit height of the bubbles create the functional equivalent of raising the water level on the skimmer the same distance as the length cut from the barb fitting? Assuming that the actual level has remained constant...

Or simply put... Does cutting 1.5" off the fitting cause the skimmer to perform as if the water depth has just increased by 1.5"?

Thanks!

Unread 03/26/2012, 07:45 PM   #22
scolley
ARKSC Founding Member

Sorry SkullV. After rereading your second post, it appears that this mod causes the skimmer to perform as if its in less water, not more.

And that's good for me, since my water is about 9.75" deep - a shade too deep. Will be trying this. Thanks!

Unread 05/02/2012, 01:47 PM   #23
Danny_B
Registered Member

Ok, so i got my sc-65 a week ago, did vinegar bath, cut one of the barbs as shown, put in my sump and it broke in, pulling very dark crud and particles. However i want to make sure im running it efficient. My skimmer is sitting in 8" of water, and i cant go any higher because my sump will overflow if i have a power outage. i have an ato so i dont have any flucuations. My question is, what depth are you guys running you skimmers in? and, If im already running my skimmer at 8", if running the cut barb, i am effectively running in 7" or less... am i going to be better of running the uncut barb? I swapped it in today to check, let me know what you think.

Danny_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 12:32 PM   #24
kidkaos520
Registered Member

does anyone know the minimum height of water the sc65 can be placed in??

kidkaos520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2012, 12:39 PM   #25
nebraskareef
MFCEO

I believe 6 to 8 inches. I've only run it on a rock cure tub so I never baffled it

Excuse my typos. I'm posting on my Samsung Galaxy SIII using tapatalk 3 HD.