Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2012, 09:12 PM   #1
ReeferHead84
Registered Member

Hydrogen Peroxide for a simple coral dip?

As far as I know this method is fairly new to the hobby and is not widely talked about. The procedure is simple, add RO/DI water & Hydrogen Peroxide in a container then drop your frag/coral in the dip for a few minutes then rinse with RO/Di water then place the frag/coral in DT. The only thing that concerns me is there's not a solid measurement to abide by. I read 6:1 ratio, 10:1, 1:1 and many others, also read the dip is not safe for some corals.

What are your experiences with the dip? What pests if any do they affect and how safe is it? I'm curious, could this be another way to dip, just like how dosing Vodka/Sugar shifted the paradigm of traditional nutrient reduction, could dipping coral be as simple as a bottle of HP? Just had my cogs turning.

ReeferHead84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 10:20 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Someone is using a 1:1 water and 3% hydrogen peroxide solution on corals? That's brave.

The degree to which corals could tolerate this type of bath likely would vary from species to species. Personally, I'd stick with other approaches, but it'd be possible to work out a safe approach with a lot of tests.

Unread 02/24/2012, 11:16 PM   #3
greengeco82
Reefer

coral rx smells like pine-sol. im going to try that..lol

greengeco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2012, 01:02 AM   #4
feersomen
Registered Member

i think it would depend on the coral and what you're looking to achieve. If just a preventative i would favor the lighter side.

feersomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2012, 01:04 PM   #5
dirtyBit
Registered Member

I've dipped with H2O2 but used tank water not RO/DI. I would not probably dip SPS in it either. Mushrooms and zoas were okay but my clove polyps did not like it and have remained closed for weeks after but did not die. It's great for getting rid of algae on specific rocks though.

dirtyBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2012, 01:14 PM   #6
DrBegalke
Go Buckeyes!

What would be the possible advantage? I don't see any reason to even try this, as traditional methods of coral dips have always worked well for me.

Current Tank Info: Latest project: JBJ Cubey
DrBegalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2012, 04:44 PM   #7
karsseboom
Registered Member

You should never dip sps corals in rodi water.

karsseboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBegalke View Post
What would be the possible advantage? I don't see any reason to even try this, as traditional methods of coral dips have always worked well for me.
No reason to change for you then............it's new enough where I don't think I'd want to do it until more people are guinea pigs. There are some experiences elsewhere on the internet with more info.

Apparently it's very effective in killing pesky macro algae on frag plugs without harming zoas.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Hinds04
Registered Member

I have done this with many zoas to remove bryopsis from frags. I've always used a 1:1 ratio. Peroxide/tank water. I do a 4 min dip and then rinse in another bowl of tank water. It works wonderfully.

Current tank info: 95 gallon reef system, 45 gallon frag tank
Hinds04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2013, 12:47 AM   #10
brandon429
Registered Member.

I too wouldn't use freshwater it would be tank water and whatever dilution.

The first days of vodka dosing had similar hesitancy, now everyone twelve steps their system its just a matter of time. Any method that gets an end result safely will find a niche in aquarium husbandry, prediction.

All dip chemicals have toxicity levels and in that little difference exists among them. All you do is repeat known safe approaches, so it doesn't matter what is used as long as the prophylaxis is effective and the coral unharmed. Getting the end result is the goal whether its lugols, fw, h202, revive etc

Imo people should use what they can best wield and predict.

Last edited by brandon429; 03/04/2013 at 12:56 AM.
brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2013, 01:16 AM   #11
Basman346
Registered Member

I had some zoas that weren't opening. The lfs recommended a 1:1 ratio and the next day or the day after they opened and been going strong since.

Don't know what they had but it worked for me.

Basman346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2013, 02:19 AM   #12
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I use Bayer Advance Insect and Germ Killer from HD. Under $10/gallon and use at a 1 part Bayer to 10part tank water for 5-10 minutes. Works great. I have flatworms in my DT and I don't let coral leave my house unless it's clean.

Unread 03/04/2013, 09:19 AM   #13
barjam
Registered Member

Fresh water will outright kill sps. Sps seems able to tolerate hydrogen peroxide if some splashes on it while spot treating for algae though or sitting in the rinse container that has residual hydrogen peroxide from spot treatment.

barjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2013, 09:30 AM   #14
strittmatter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
I use Bayer Advance Insect and Germ Killer from HD. Under $10/gallon and use at a 1 part Bayer to 10part tank water for 5-10 minutes. Works great. I have flatworms in my DT and I don't let coral leave my house unless it's clean.
This...it seems to me that Bayers kills anything and is the easiest on corals. SPS and LPS.

strittmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2013, 10:38 AM   #15
RileyLAFD
Registered Member

Best used for algae removal....

34 Gal Solana;11Gal Sump.Mixed Reef. NS Apex, 2 Vortech MP10Wes, Radion PRO, JBJ1/10 Chiller & TrueTemp 150w Heater, Tunze Osmolator, BM NAC3.5.

Current Tank Info: 34 Gal Solana (110 days strong).
RileyLAFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2013, 10:46 AM   #16
brandon429
Registered Member.

as the two large peroxide threads have progressed since the time of this thread, and gained hundreds of new input posts, my current take is keep it off the polyps when you can. we see lots of LPS dipping for encroachment and even preventative reasons where they could have just painted or spot applied the peroxide to the skeleton only having never contacted the flesh. We try to distill in that thread the least impactful way of applying peroxide if that is what the keeper has selected for their problem.

full treatments in-tank are continuing and we are getting feedback there as well, and in the majority of cases it was not needed as most of the rocks could have been pulled and treated externally. The keeper opted for the method simply because it worked fast, for the tanks its worked in. I wonder where peroxide dosing will be in 2015. maybe a fad that will be gone...but something better will have to come along for my own tank to cheat its self to old age....havent found anything better so far. lots of alternate methods exist if someone wants another angle on their issues.

brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2013, 10:49 AM   #17
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

I use 1:1 dip on zoas. Any other coral I would use 2:1. and it is usually 30-60 seconds in the solution.

FMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallons of frags... 30 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef ... 70 other tanks throughout south FL
Reeferz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2013, 01:05 PM   #18
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I use it for zoantids. 1 part hydrogen peroxide an 4 parts tank water for 6 minutes. Some acros are ok with it,, Chalices hate it. Monits seem to suffer with it , calsutea and euphylillia tolerat it. It cleans up zoantids frags infested withsome algae,most notably red turf algae. It does not howerver knock out bryopsis,ime.

The Bayer insecticides do well as a dip. I use the Avanced complete insect killer for soil and turf concentrate at 30ml for 1500 ml of tank water for 5minutes. This is followed by a long soak, at least an hour in a gallon or two of tank water with a powerhead to remove and cyfluthurin hanging around( it's highly toxic to fish).

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2018, 06:20 PM   #19
duraace9sp
Registered Member

It is supposed to
kill dinoflaggettes......I tried but the strain I had eventually lead me to breakdown and disinfect the entire tank.....

As far as the peroxide at the levels I dumped in the display..about 4-5 oz in a 100 display - I fought them over a year and this particular strain I could never eradicate.....that noted HP was suggested specifically for dino’s

duraace9sp is offline   Reply With Quote