Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/29/2012, 12:22 PM   #1
acorral
Registered Member

Smile Vortech MP60

I finally decided to buy a Vortech MP60... after giving it a lot of thought I decided to try it out instead of going with 2 Koralia Magnum 8

There are many threads discussing Koralia vs Vortech and none of them gave me conclusive information...

Hope these videos from my setup help other reefers decide:

Before MP60:

After MP60:

These videos show a Leather Coral placed 6 feet away from MP60 pump on indirect line from the pump

Simply amazing pump...

I will be buying soon a second one for the opposite side of the tank

acorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2012, 03:08 PM   #2
tkeracer619
Registered Member

My vote for best pump of all time goes to the mp60. Stellar piece of equipment.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2012, 03:46 PM   #3
acorral
Registered Member

I bumped into some threads and posts blaming MP60 for sucking and killing fish, therefore suggesting the use of the foam guard on the propeller...

I don't want to reduce the flow from my MP60 so I'm reluctant to do that...

Any opinions or experience with Vortech MP60 killing/sucking fish ?

Unread 02/29/2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorral View Post
I bumped into some threads and posts blaming MP60 for sucking and killing fish, therefore suggesting the use of the foam guard on the propeller...

I don't want to reduce the flow from my MP60 so I'm reluctant to do that...

Any opinions or experience with Vortech MP60 killing/sucking fish ?
A healthy fish, will be able to stand the flow [except like seahorses but those are obv]

if a fish is dead, or not swimming, and gets stuck to MP60, then that means the MP60 is doing its job of pulling detritus UP.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2012, 03:50 PM   #5
patsfan1130
Premium Member

while anything is possible...I am of the opinion that unless the fish was very small..any fish that meats it's demise to a pump (even an mp60) is like sick and close to meeting it's maker anyhow. I've got an Angel and Trigger that like to intentionally get stuck to my 60 and break themselves free. I've got to get it on video. It's a riot.

Member of the Boston Reefers Society

Current Tank Info: 75g lps, 90g sps, 120g mixed, 180 nem tank, 300g reef, 600g up & coming reef
patsfan1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Shmoopy
Registered Member

If you are just trying to keep fish out you could use a very porous foam netting. That shouldnt restrict the flow much

Shmoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/29/2012, 09:13 PM   #7
acorral
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
A healthy fish, will be able to stand the flow [except like seahorses but those are obv]

if a fish is dead, or not swimming, and gets stuck to MP60, then that means the MP60 is doing its job of pulling detritus UP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan1130 View Post
while anything is possible...I am of the opinion that unless the fish was very small..any fish that meats it's demise to a pump (even an mp60) is like sick and close to meeting it's maker anyhow. I've got an Angel and Trigger that like to intentionally get stuck to my 60 and break themselves free. I've got to get it on video. It's a riot.
Got to agree with you both...

I've been keeping close watch on my fish and they doesn't seem like afraid of swimming nearby it and when they feel like it they just swim away with ease.

What about snails? Do you have any experience of a snail going into the propeller? I have like 60 cerith snails and they sure fit... so... do you think a snail going into the propeller is a risk?

Thank you all

Unread 03/01/2012, 12:20 AM   #8
dlp211
Registered Member

I've only had a single nerite crawl into the prop. All my other snails stay away. My banded trochus love to clean off the exterior, but never try to go in.

The nerite stopped the prop and the Vortech went into stuck mode. I got the nerite out and no damage to the pump or the snail.

100# BRS Pukani, 40# Marco
dlp211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2012, 03:09 AM   #9
Crazy_Beaver
Registered Member

How are the noise levels of the MP60?

Crazy_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Buzz1329
Premium Member

FWIW, no problems with fish (YT damsel, Foxface, Royal Gramma, & 6 line Wrasse) entering my Vortech MP40 when it's at 60-75% max flow in Reef Crest mode in a 75. I would say it's all but impossible unless one was near dead.

180 mixed reef
Buzz1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2012, 05:56 PM   #11
tkeracer619
Registered Member

my flame hawk sits on my running mp60...

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2012, 08:21 PM   #12
pentrix2
Registered Member

What are your tank deminisons for your mp60? I'm considering buying one for myself. I really like your videos.

Pen

pentrix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2012, 08:52 PM   #13
NYCBOB
Registered Member

vortech is the best. i dont understand how any healthy fish would get sucked into the vortech. i have small to big fish. no fish could possible get sucked in.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2012, 09:44 PM   #14
Dadekster
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan1130 View Post
Makes me wonder about something. Do you have cleaner fish or shrimp? Wonder if they are trying to mimic that? Either way that sounds like a pretty cool thing to see tbh.

Dadekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2012, 10:35 PM   #15
BlueDartReefer
Registered Member

I run two of these on our 265G. The only fish to ever get caught to the outside was an already dead fish. I've got snails that climb all over the outside of the pumps but have never gone inside. Our recently added Blond Naso loves to swim up against the Vortex pumps. Just when you wonder if he's going to get sucked in, he swims away. Quite hillarious. These pumps are quite loud at full capicity, but a small price to pay for their amazing performance. I do not like using the foam covers as all kinds of crap and food get caught to the outside and consequently need frequent cleaning.

BlueDartReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2012, 10:05 AM   #16
viggen
Registered Member

It took about 20 minutes for my starry blenny to get stuck on my MP60. If I wasn't there he would of died. I think most fish can easily swim away from the suction but other like blennies & possibly hawk fish might not be so lucky.

The sponge does help however it gets loaded with crap in a few days thus restricting flow quite a bit

I have mexican snails... they seem to do laps on the MP60's. I have some funky tiny snails & they also just move around the outside of the pump.

Unread 03/02/2012, 01:54 PM   #17
patsfan1130
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadekster View Post
Makes me wonder about something. Do you have cleaner fish or shrimp? Wonder if they are trying to mimic that? Either way that sounds like a pretty cool thing to see tbh.
You know, that's a great point. No I do not have cleaners in this particualr tank (my 300). That very well could be why they do it. Ima going to try to take a video this weekend. It's hilarious. My Queen will literally sit there stuck to it for what seems like forever. When she sees me appraoching the tank she will quickly detach herself.

Member of the Boston Reefers Society

Current Tank Info: 75g lps, 90g sps, 120g mixed, 180 nem tank, 300g reef, 600g up & coming reef
patsfan1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2012, 07:13 PM   #18
acorral
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentrix2 View Post
What are your tank deminisons for your mp60? I'm considering buying one for myself. I really like your videos.

Pen
Thank you Pen... My tank is 78" x 36" x 36"

I probably would recommend the MP60 for tanks larger than 70"

I'm considering getting a second one to add flexibility to the modes and types of current it can make...

I have mine in pulse mode at near 70% power... if I had another one to make the flow alternating from one side to the other I would be able to use them both at 100% in sync mode

What's your tank size?

Unread 03/02/2012, 07:15 PM   #19
acorral
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggen View Post
It took about 20 minutes for my starry blenny to get stuck on my MP60. If I wasn't there he would of died. I think most fish can easily swim away from the suction but other like blennies & possibly hawk fish might not be so lucky.

The sponge does help however it gets loaded with crap in a few days thus restricting flow quite a bit

I have mexican snails... they seem to do laps on the MP60's. I have some funky tiny snails & they also just move around the outside of the pump.
Worrying !!! How did you solved it? or the fish just learn to stay away the hard way?

Unread 03/02/2012, 09:19 PM   #20
pentrix2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorral View Post
Thank you Pen... My tank is 78" x 36" x 36"

I probably would recommend the MP60 for tanks larger than 70"

I'm considering getting a second one to add flexibility to the modes and types of current it can make...

I have mine in pulse mode at near 70% power... if I had another one to make the flow alternating from one side to the other I would be able to use them both at 100% in sync mode

What's your tank size?
My tank size is, 53" long, 33" wide, and 24" high. With your tank size I have decided to go with the mp40s. Getting the mp60 for my tank size I would have to turn it down too much or else I will probably get a sandstorm and my tank isn't as long as yours.

I wish I could afford your tank size so I can use the mp60s. I heard the mp60s are quieter than the mp40s and were built better.

pentrix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 03:25 PM   #21
Timothy.s
Registered Member

I have an mp60 on our 5ft ...awesome bit of kit but our snowflake eel does seem to get wrapped around it when running full tilt...

Timothy.s is offline   Reply With Quote