Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/06/2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Soy
Registered Member

KZ Flatworm Stop is Here!!!

I just talked to a friend and he told me he saw the KZ flatworm stop at Age of Aquariums last night! I dont have aefw yet but I so many good things about it improving the polyp extension and coloration of sps. I'm definitley getting myself a bottle today! Just giving you guys a heads up.

Soy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 01:24 PM   #2
kikireef
Registered Member

I'm a bit confused. If you don't have AEFW why would you be buying this? I'm not trying to sound rude. This is a product that is supposed to eliminate or help treat flatworms in a DT. I don't think its use is to help with polyp extension or coloration unless its cause is from AEFW. If your looking for better polyp extension then their coral vitalizer might help. I have used it in the past and did notice much better polyp extension when using this.

kikireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikireef View Post
I'm a bit confused. If you don't have AEFW why would you be buying this? I'm not trying to sound rude. This is a product that is supposed to eliminate or help treat flatworms in a DT. I don't think its use is to help with polyp extension or coloration unless its cause is from AEFW. If your looking for better polyp extension then their coral vitalizer might help. I have used it in the past and did notice much better polyp extension when using this.
Hello,
Actually fws would help with health and defense system of corals, so they can withstand AEFW. And other pests better. Won't effect AEFW.

I have spoken to some German reefers using it with great success so far. Will need more time to be sure

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Soy
Registered Member

i already get a lot of polyp extension. not sure if that automatically means its healthy but it helps the sps with slime protection and also has healing properties for sps. I'm getting it as a safety precaution. this is what somebody using it to treat his aefw posted:
"I had put a Millie colony in that you could tell took a little beating during shipping....the thing is a beast now, rivaling anything in my tank. Some other pieces that had more severe ailments are recovering very well. I had mini colony of ora German blue acro that I had dipped and when I took the turkey baster to it, I blew off a significant amount damaged tissue, probably lost 65 percent of the piece. You can see the new tissue growing over the damaged bare skeleton now. And I don't think it would have recovered so quickly on its own. I started dosing the stuff and two weeks into it you can see the difference."

Unread 03/06/2012, 03:40 PM   #5
kikireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
Hello,
Actually fws would help with health and defense system of corals, so they can withstand AEFW. And other pests better. Won't effect AEFW.

I have spoken to some German reefers using it with great success so far. Will need more time to be sure
hmm interesting. I thought it was just used to treat your DT if it has an AEFW infestation. Thanks. One more thing to start reading up about. Whether or not I ever use it I like reading about advances such as these to treat sick or ailing tanks/corals.

kikireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 04:25 PM   #6
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

i am sure this will be spendy.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Soy
Registered Member

with so much bareback reefing going on, it may be worth the cost to have as a back up

Unread 03/06/2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Soy
Registered Member

Ill probably get one for dipping new corals

Unread 03/06/2012, 06:08 PM   #9
teckt
Registered Member

Yes age got it in today. What flatwormstop does is improves or beefs up the slime coat of the acro. By making the slime coat thicker the aefw cannot penetrate it getting to the tissue which they consume. Eventually the aefw starve if they are present. You use it daily at 1 ml per 25 gals for 3 months if you know you have a aefw infestation and also daily if you wish to use it as a preventative measure. They dosed it for the first time today at age and i must say the polyp extension on all the acros increased almost immediatly. I also read that corals coloration significantly gets better a few weeks into regular dosing. I will be closely watching what it does to the corals in age's main display. I'll take some photos tomorrow and try to document the corals progress.

teckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 06:38 PM   #10
SoCal LowBaller
Registered Member

sound like its too good to be true.

SoCal LowBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 08:07 PM   #11
daveZ
Registered Member

here is from KZ website

Product Description

Flatworm Stop

Right now we have an effective help against tissue eating flatworms on Acropora and for ailing SPS.

Flatworm Stop strengthens all kind of corals and reduces parasitical flatworms on Acropora corals at the same time. Very valuable ingredients are assimilated directly after dosage. In our tests also ailing small polyp stony corals recovered and rebuilt the basis as well as gained back the original coloration.

Dosage: 1 ml per 100 Liter tank water. Dose directly into the tank. For ailing corals dosage can be increased to double or triple.

Current Tank Info: SPS
daveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2012, 11:57 PM   #12
MammothReefer
Registered Member

I ordered some a couple weeks ago direct from KZ. I don't have high hopes. I'm a skeptical when it comes to what seems like snake oil. It doesn't help that I have been trying to find any first hand experience but haven't seen any posts with a 100% "It fixed my aefw problem just yet". With that said, I thought I had my AEFW under control, I was wrong (to many tabling pieces it's hard to get under them w/the mj1200). So I figured I would guinea pig it and hopefully prove my self wrong. I don't know what it costs retail locally, but mine coming from KZ was about 50$ including shipping.

Current Tank Info: 105 Peninsula
MammothReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2012, 02:01 AM   #13
ChefZilla
Registered Member

Goodluck mammoth. Let us know if it works for you. Maybe even for us to use it as a preventative measure

48"x 25"x 24" Sidebraced, Mixed reef SPS dominant on the way
48"x18"

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon mixed reef, 55 gallon sump/refugium w/ macros
ChefZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2012, 10:15 AM   #14
Cymaster007
IEMAS President

I am also to see how this pans out, please keep us updated mammothreefer

Current Tank Info: . 225 gal reef tank SPS,LPS
Cymaster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2012, 12:06 PM   #15
All Delight
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soy View Post
with so much bareback reefing going on, it may be worth the cost to have as a back up
Excuse me but that phrase has my trademark.

Please cease and desist.

All Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2012, 03:16 PM   #16
Soy
Registered Member

^LOL, All delight.
MR, would like to hear some updates as well.

Unread 03/15/2012, 01:56 AM   #17
MammothReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefZilla View Post
Goodluck mammoth. Let us know if it works for you. Maybe even for us to use it as a preventative measure
Will do, not sure what is up with it. I ordered it on the 22nd still hasn't show up yet. Tonight I found a huge clutch of eggs and 5 adults. I seem to just be chasing them around my tank since last spring (so almost a year now) They never get big enough to kill anything completely before I catch them and I'm glad i found the clutch before it hatched. This time around they seem to only be on that one piece from what I can tell, unlike last time where I found them on 4-5 pieces. It's a hardy enough coral so I dipped it and super glued over all dead tissue. Just need to keep on top blasting I guess and hope this stuff works whenever it gets here. I think I'm going to have to do about 3.5ml a day or so I'm running @ about 85 gallons total.

Last edited by MammothReefer; 03/15/2012 at 02:06 AM.
Unread 03/15/2012, 09:26 AM   #18
acesq
Registered Member

I'm in the same boat as you Mammothreefer. I ordered the flatworm stop last week. Its supposed to arrive tomorrow and I'm going full dosage right away. I though I had the flatworms under control in the last 6 months, basting has produced fewer and fewer flatworms (which my fish fight over) and all of the corals have excellent color and PE. Then last week I noticed two acros losing tissue at their bases and yesterday I found two clutches of eggs on the acro that has always been the flatworms' favorite host. I dipped it and scraped off the eggs. It has good PE and color today, so I think it will survive. I hope the Flatworm stops helps, I hate those little b******'s.

Unread 03/15/2012, 09:31 AM   #19
ktrandc
Premium Member

I've been using it for a week as a preventative measure. The only big difference I've noticed is my skimmer is not producing as much skimmate as before. I've had to turn it up quite a bit to produce the same kind of skimmate as before.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon 48x30x20 Lee Mar tank, Bubble King Mini 180, Vortech mp60w, Tunze 6055, ATI Power Module 8 bulbs, Bubble Magus dosing pump, Eheim 1262 return
ktrandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 02:06 PM   #20
Msleckro
Registered Member

Where can you purchase this online? i've been looking but only seem to find it in the UK.

Msleckro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 02:47 PM   #21
ktrandc
Premium Member

I got mine locally.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon 48x30x20 Lee Mar tank, Bubble King Mini 180, Vortech mp60w, Tunze 6055, ATI Power Module 8 bulbs, Bubble Magus dosing pump, Eheim 1262 return
ktrandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 06:10 PM   #22
MammothReefer
Registered Member

I bought mine directly from ZEO on germany it was cheaper then local places (and they didn't have it at the time). I just got it today so it took about 3 weeks to get here.

Unread 03/17/2012, 07:27 AM   #23
Msleckro
Registered Member

I ordered it from AquaCave.

Unread 03/17/2012, 05:23 PM   #24
MammothReefer
Registered Member

Mine showed up yesterday. Started dosing 3.5ml. I'm going to split the dose 3ml to the dt/ .5ml to the frag tank. The only thing I saw is what I believe was improved PE however I already have a rather good amount of PE so I'm not sure if I was just looking to hard or it happend ha.. Today I'm going to take before and after shots. 89 more doses to go. I'm also going to up the basting/blasting and keep a log on when I still find the buggers and how many.

Unread 03/21/2012, 06:26 PM   #25
Msleckro
Registered Member

Any updates on how its working?