Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/18/2012, 09:20 AM   #1
artkwan
Registered Member

5 gallon plastic bottles

Does anyone know where to get affordable 5 gallon water jug bottlest without breaking the bank? These would be the blue colored ones. Just want to make sure that they are food grade and are BPA free. Was just thinking about it and figured I would post here before I jumped in my car and drive out in the rain, LOL.

Arthur

Current Tank Info: Previous 39 gallon corner, now running an in-wall...
artkwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2012, 09:37 AM   #2
CLeadfootS
Coral Addict

I got my 7 gallon blue BPA free container at walmart in the camping section for cheap.

CLeadfootS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Mrcat
Registered Member

Winco has the square 5 gallon jugs for $5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Hagisan
Preparing to move on...

Quote:
I got my 7 gallon blue BPA free container at walmart in the camping section for cheap.
Same here. I like the pour nozzle that came incorporated with the cap.

Old 03/18/2012, 11:30 AM   #5
artkwan
Registered Member

That's awesome, guys.

Will make the run out there to get one. Also, what would you recommend as far as a food grade container for SW mixing for water changes that is square or rectangle in shape? i have a limitation as far as spce in concerned, and the maximum width or depth is approximately 12-13 inches. I have verticle simensions to my advantage, just not horizontal space. Also preferign a container that has a top that is removable for me to add an ATO and a circulating pump inside.

Any thoughts there?

Old 03/20/2012, 01:48 PM   #6
Steventnguyen
Registered Member

Craigslist have some

Current Tank Info: 93 gallon cube, swc 160 cone extreme, rapidled onyx controlled by full apex
Steventnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2012, 03:26 PM   #7
GuySmily
Registered Member

The square 5gal winco jugs are perfect for mixing saltwater. Add 2.5 cups instant ocean, shake (I actually just twist back and forth 15-20 times, which is a workout at 40 lbs!), and I'm done.

I use the 5gal jugs for ATO too, but they only last a few days.

If you see jugs with black o-rings in the caps, let me know. I think they come from a different manufacturer, since the handle shape, markings, and even the threading on the cap are different. The white o-ring version has to be tightened hard or it leaks, which makes it harder to unscrew later.

GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2012, 07:25 AM   #8
artkwan
Registered Member

I was just thinking, in my effort to be even more lazier than I am already, are there any square plastic containers in existence that area even bigger that the 5 or 7 galllons one we are talking about, where the gallonage starts getting into the 20 /30 area, where, I can mix saltwater less often for the salt water changes? Something where it would sit on a stand, and where I would not need to move it. I saw a link on CL for the 5 gallon ones, which I will consider getting to transfer my RODI water to another location (Come to think of it - I should think about just getting a second RODI unit, LOL). I have considered the Brute series cans, but theye are too big, diameter wise...

Arthur